Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th

Hood River Must Do Rides.

MTB and road too. We'll probably do more road. I like flowy XC personally. Nothing terribly gnarly. I've ridden there a bit years ago but don't really remember much. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

For road the mosier tunnels then over to the Rowena curves is pretty much the quintessential ride with epic gorge views. You should be able to google that one.

Mtn wise, I would say that Surveyors Ridge is a pretty classic xc ride with some great views of the valley and mt. Hood. Obviously there is a ton more riding around, but those two are pretty good scenic bang for your buck.

^^^
    What he said + for mountain biking, Syncline is fun and Post Canyon has lot of good riding as well.

if you can, do surveyor's ridge as a shuttle south to north

8 mile's a nice loop, then if you have multiple people in the car flip a coin for who drives and who rides dog river.

if you don't mind a little drive mt st helens is pretty rad as well, ape canyon > plains of abraham > smith creek
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

good bike map for the area avail at local stores too.

Syncline is a good bet. you will like I think.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Got the map but just ended up at Post Canyon about 4 times. Mostly road, some fucking awesome rides there. Stinking hot so that got limiting a bit. Through the tunnels to roweena crest on the last day. Loved that. Trout lake and lost lake loops were awesome with few to no cars. Very good and lots of climbing with lots of nice steady climbs.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Bump. There's several Hood River threads but they're all old and this one has the best title.

The DTM clan arrives in HR Sunday 8/1 and leaves Saturday 8/7, so 5 full days M-F to do stuff. We're probably looking to ride 3-4 days. I'd love suggestions for some marquee "must do" rides that are mostly focused on good descending.

Spending at least one day at Post seems pretty obvious, but there's a ton of trails there so I'd love to know which ones to hit and how best to link them up. The 11 y.o. likes to get sendy but we probably won't get too rowdy since hospital visits tend to be a vacation buzzkill. A big backcountry-ish descent would be great (a la Blowhard near Briandhead, for those who know that one).

My Dad is joining us so we'll have two vehicles and can shuttle. The kid can ride down anything. Going up he's good for 1500 vert or so but more than that is pushing it.

eta: Just for another reference point, the kiddo LOVED Doctor Park when we went to CB last year.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-09-2021 at 12:58 PM.

I'm in the willamette valley so the boys and girls in HR likely know more that is close in than I do, but here is something to noodle on in addition to the discussion on Surveyor's ridge above which is a great trail you can shuttle:

Yeah Post canyon can be shuttled and I usually park a car close to the bottom of Kleeway on Post Canyon Drive. On the drive up it's better to back track out of post canyon drive and drive up the system via Binn's Hill Rd. which has more paving and go as far as the gates allow towards the top of Dirt Surfer and ride Dirt Surfer -> Hidden Trail -> 133 Bordeline -> head over to bad motor scooter -> upper grand prix -> baby gp -> Middle School -> Float On -> Kleeway back to car.
    Next lap I would do Dirt Surfer -> Hidden Trail -> 133 Borderline, take a left on 130 connector over to Blade Runner and make your way over to Mitchell Ridge to finish at car.

Second choice (been over a year since i've been) I'd recommend doing is a shuttle on Falls Creek, a bit further away in SW Washington. Has some uphill, but pretty sweet trail (shuttle deets should be on trailforks).

You can also shuttle Nestor Peak across the Columbia from HR, but likewise has been over a year since i've ridden there and I think they are doing a bunch of trail work so maybe a local can chime in on the latest.

Another option is to head over the other side of hood and while not a shuttle, Sandy Ridge is a paved climb to the top of the system and has a couple good options from the top. From the top, I'd recommend Rock Drop -> Quid Pro Flow -> Two Turntables -> Hide and Seek OR Johnny Royale (bigger jump line). Maybe bring two cars and on the way to Sandy Ridge drop a car close to the end of the Pioneer Bridle Trail, which you can then ride to from Timberline Lodge after getting some food/drink. "Timberline to Town Trail to Rhododendron"
    Last edited by klauss; 06-14-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Been perusing Trailforks and Cold Creek and Thrillium are giving me an e-boner. A bit of a drive but looks like it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Been perusing Trailforks and Cold Creek and Thrillium are giving me an e-boner. A bit of a drive but looks like it's worth it.
    They are. Trust me

Post Canyon is going to be really blown out in early August.

Dog River is a really, really fun descent. I second Nester Peak, really fun. Both are pretty featureless but stupid fun fast and flowy. I struggle to find much tech in that area but the riding is fun for a few days.

Bottle Prairie is a pretty fun descent too, can climb back up Knebal and make aloop.

Surveyor's is a bit XC ish so if you're after descents might not be your favorite but it is a fun ride and beautiful. Maybe finish it with a Dog River shuttle to get that descending in.

Definitely head up to Cold Creek if you can.

If you really want good descending you can drive a bit further and head up North past Trout Lake on FS 23 for some proper Gifford Pinchot riding and hit up Table Mountain, Summit Prairie, and Wright Meadow - probably not much further of a drive than Cold Creek from HR.

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    MTB and road too. We'll probably do more road. I like flowy XC personally. Nothing terribly gnarly. I've ridden there a bit years ago but don't really remember much. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    If you're seeking solitude, the trout lake loop is prob in my top 5 for both states. Amazing Mt Adams views. Very, very little road traffic. Most of the ride with great tarmac with the exceptions of the hike-a-bike sections that washed away. Hence the low traffic

Woah, I had to check in because I saw L7 as the OP and thought someone had hacked his account or he was back from the dead. freaked me out.
    Miss your screwed up world view Jim.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I see thefortrees hasn't checked in but you should pm him about advice, either about trails nearby or how many beers to drink for optimum recovery.

I also pursued Cold Creek on Trailforks, also got an e-boner, rode there and I was a bit, um, droopy in real life. I wouldn't say skip it by any means but those pics of jumps on Trailforks looks like they were taken by a great photographer (he framed out the ugly) on the day the trail opened (looks like nicely shaped jumps then). But that trail and it's jumps (Thrillium?) are in dusty ugly clearcuts with ball bearings on the takeoffs and landings and a bit awkward for mortal men. The other trail was pretty fun though, sorry i forgot the names.

A couple days there don't make me an expert of Coldcreek though so grains of boner salt and all that.

Well, shit. It's a 1.5 hour drive plus bridge tolls so if we go all the way out there and it's not bonertown I'll never hear the end of it.

AC managed to hurt her shoulder last week and now bringing bikes at all is looking questionable so the whole thing might be moot anyway.

Bridge tolls are only $2 on Bridge of the Gods and maybe some locals would strongly disagree with me and they may be right.

Sorry to hear about AC, that's a bummer for sure.

Sounds like you have a shuttle driver!! That opens more options for you.

Well, shit. It's a 1.5 hour drive plus bridge tolls so if we go all the way out there and it's not bonertown I'll never hear the end of it.

AC managed to hurt her shoulder last week and now bringing bikes at all is looking questionable so the whole thing might be moot anyway.
    The 1.5 hour drive to Summit Prairie and Table Mountain are guaranteed boner city. Both are great with a shuttle drop as well

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Sounds like you have a shuttle driver!! That opens more options for you.
    We were already set up to shuttle (my Dad is joining us so we'll have two vehicles). She'll be decidedly less than stoked to hang out alone in the truck while the rest of us have fun. Better to just go on some hikes and hit some swimming holes.

Posted this over in the Oregon ski thread, but got no action.

Anyone have the cliff notes on post canyon dr. landowner disputing the historic zoning on his recently purchased parcels?

http://www.gorgecommission.org/image...Bu6DeepHwOptYg

Fuck that asshole.

Hope he dumps his whole fortune into it and the Friends of the Gorge takes him for ever godamn red cent as they block him in court at every turn.

RIP lower 7 streams.

^^^Care to elaborate? I read the docs in Klaus’ link and got a similar impression, but didn’t see anything about 7 streams.

I think he's talking about the trail that parallels Post Canyon road. That guy closed it a few years ago.

Seems like he bought the land for cheap, thinking he could change the designation to make it worth more. Sounds like a gamble against several bureaucracies, which sounds like a bad idea to me. Hard to have any sympathy.