Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Yup. I gotta get some 5" tires. Everybody is telling me Bud and Lou, but has anybody ridden the new Maxxis tires? I love Surly, but I'm totally ghey for all things Maxxis.
    No first hand experience with Maxxis' fatty offerings, other than the Mammoth, which doesn't have much in the way of tread depth. Might make a good summer tire. Whatever you end up going with, I'd recommend something that is easily studdable. The siping in the Bud and Lou accepts Grip Studs pretty easily, and many of the 45NRTH tires are pocketed. Some spots in Corner Canyon can get pretty slick between storms, studs make a huuuuuuuuuge difference.

I was checking out Dillinger 5s today. I think they might be the ticket.
    I rode up in AF last night with a group from Bike Peddler. Up the road, across Salamander Flats and down Pine Hollow. We did a little recon on 157 too. Overall wind and warm daytime temps temps made it a bit challenging, but most of Pine Hollow was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I was checking out Dillinger 5s today. I think they might be the ticket.
    I rode up in AF last night with a group from Bike Peddler. Up the road, across Salamander Flats and down Pine Hollow. We did a little recon on 157 too. Overall wind and warm daytime temps temps made it a bit challenging, but most of Pine Hollow was sick!
    The Dilli 4s came with my bike. I was not overly impressed, and maybe the 5s are better. I put a Flowbeist 4.6 on front and was gifted a Ground Control 4.6 for the rear. Far better, at least the Flowbeist up front. It was obvious that the Dilis didnt have the knobs needed, and they were on there to keep stock weight low. I am washing out and hiking much less. Check out the Dunderbeist for the rear as well, I'm hearing good things. Flow and Dunder are a lot lighter than Bud and Lou, I think.
    As always YMMV, and I'm 200lbs plus beer.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    The Dilli 4s came with my bike. I was not overly impressed, and maybe the 5s are better. I put a Flowbeist 4.6 on front and was gifted a Ground Control 4.6 for the rear. Far better, at least the Flowbeist up front. It was obvious that the Dilis didnt have the knobs needed, and they were on there to keep stock weight low. I am washing out and hiking much less. Check out the Dunderbeist for the rear as well, I'm hearing good things. Flow and Dunder are a lot lighter than Bud and Lou, I think.
    I'm of the opinion that the Dillingers are only useful for the studding class. Knobs are fine, but on ice, carbide is key. I would never look at Dillingers in a situation that didn't need ice traction.

I'm in Crested Butte for a few days. If you're a fat bike fan, or want to try it in the snow, try to get here this winter. A lot of them for rent, and some shared cross country trails to try it out for the novice. They're trying to figure out how to groom serious single track, I was told.

Just putting this here that I would appreciate any help getting a decent deal on a medium Surly ICT with or without the Bluto. New or used. TIA. Preferably in blue, but whatever.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Just putting this here that I would appreciate any help getting a decent deal on a medium Surly ICT with or without the Bluto. New or used. TIA. Preferably in blue, but whatever.
    ^^^scratch that!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454800741.653348.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	919.5 KB 
ID:	176300
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I bought a fatty. Moose Bicycles out of Quebec has one for $1299CAD (about $1.35USD). So far it has worked great. The spec is similar to a friends Specialized that cost lots more. No QR hubs, solid Chromoly Steel axles with 15mm nuts, could be replaced but I'm not going to. The seat post was too short so I replaced that with one I had in a box of crap. Cheap 4.9 tires but they work and have decent tread. The frame seems to be good quality, it was probably welded in the same factory in Taiwan as millions of other frames. Cheap ass pedals but it came with pedals which is unusual. It weighs in at about 34 lb for a large.

You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Shorter chainstay. More rake in the front end or something similar to get weight further back and stay light on the front end. Maybe taller stem or larger riser bars.
    This is needed for breaking trail or just looser conditions. Ideally if you can just let the front end move side to side without over correcting you're less likely to wash out the front tire and just general squirrelyness.

Broke in some trail today.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I bought a fatty. Moose Bicycles out of Quebec has one for $1299CAD (about $1.35USD). So far it has worked great. The spec is similar to a friends Specialized that cost lots more. No QR hubs, solid Chromoly Steel axles with 15mm nuts, could be replaced but I'm not going to. The seat post was too short so I replaced that with one I had in a box of crap. Cheap 4.9 tires but they work and have decent tread. The frame seems to be good quality, it was probably welded in the same factory in Taiwan as millions of other frames. Cheap ass pedals but it came with pedals which is unusual. It weighs in at about 34 lb for a large.

great looking bike. How are you liking it?

It's great, no complaints. I'm thinking I'll probably convert to 1x10 before next winter but otherwise I'm just riding the shit out of it.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

If anyone is looking for a set of studs I have a pair to sell, actually choice of two different sets.

Grabbed a set of 4" studded 120tpi dillingers at 40% off yesterday that I may or may not keep. Got them for a buddy who now doesn't want them. $272 plus ship.

The other is a self studded Bud/Nate combo in great shape with 150 grip studs in them. 90 frt/ 60 rr. Not sure what these are worth, maybe $225 plus ship?

I won't return the Dillingers until next week at earliest

It's great, no complaints. I'm thinking I'll probably convert to 1x10 before next winter but otherwise I'm just riding the shit out of it.
    I think I'd leave it 2x10. I have XX1 and if I was in the mountains, I'd be adding a wolfstooth granny for climbing in snow. My knee is toast, so ymmv.

I had a nice day towing the baby around in a Thule chariot with skis on it today. I'm not sure I'd want to take it on single track, but it was fun on groomed xc and Fire road stuff. It's worth doing if you have a fat bike and a chariot and you have the terrain available. Highly recommended.

Does anyone have a set of pugsley wheels on something like a marge lite rim for sale? My wife's pugs still has the large Margie wheelset and it's a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    If anyone is looking for a set of studs I have a pair to sell, actually choice of two different sets.

Grabbed a set of 4" studded 120tpi dillingers at 40% off yesterday that I may or may not keep. Got them for a buddy who now doesn't want them. $272 plus ship.

The other is a self studded Bud/Nate combo in great shape with 150 grip studs in them. 90 frt/ 60 rr. Not sure what these are worth, maybe $225 plus ship?

I won't return the Dillingers until next week at earliest
    Good deal
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

Does anyone have a set of pugsley wheels on something like a marge lite rim for sale? My wife's pugs still has the large Margie wheelset and it's a pig.
    I have an extra pair of large Margies mounted with Black Floyds slicks w/new cassette, I'd let go cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Badass. Too bad you need special permission to do it, that's something I would want to do if I was up there. Don't know if I would actually commit to it but I'd want to...

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Check out the Dunderbeist for the rear as well, I'm hearing good things. Flow and Dunder are a lot lighter than Bud and Lou, I think.
    Running a pair of Flow/Dunderbeists and am very happy with them for the purpose they were built - offering incredible handling on beaten in single track. The rolling resistance is insane, and even though they are apparently the same weight as the Vee Bulldozers that came stock on my Blizzard, the bike feels heavier, even setup tubeless. Ideally, a second wheel set, more touring oriented. Going for longer day or multi day rides in the Yukon, you just want to roll fast. For bigger routes, carbon rims with a Dillinger pair would be the ticket.

Anyone have any experience with these? http://www.bola-bicycle.com/index.ph...ory&path=73_81

Iditabike is on! Go Logar!
    watch out for snakes

What's it weigh?

35.4 - 36.2 depending on where I stand on my bathroom scale. Definitely heavier than my buddies Specialized with a carbon fork.

35.4 - 36.2 depending on where I stand on my bathroom scale. Definitely heavier than my buddies Specialized with a carbon fork.
    Thanks man. I am sitting on the fence between a 29 hardtail and a fatty.

Go fat, the versatility it adds is a bonus. You have pretty much the same outer diameter (sometimes larger) as the 29er but with the added rollover capacity of the wider footprint. Think of an old Willys Jeep with a 5.5" wide wheel and a 7" tire compared to a 8/10.5 more modern wheel/tire setup. You don't have to be as precise with your line choice and you have the added traction for off camber and cornering plus you run a lower pressure so the tire conforms to the surface irregularities better adding to rider confidence. You also have beach and winter options that are tough to impossible with a 2.5" or narrower tire. With most current fattys you can get a second set of wheels so you can run 29 x ~2.4 if you want a lighter trail option.