Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1323
    Great gloomy day for a ride.

I'm trying a new non-studded tire on the front for better soft snow perfomance, but the lower elevation trails had glare ice under a skiff of snow.

I ate shit once and had some sketchy moments numerous other times and was wishing I had my studded tire on the front.

Having said that, my rear tire is studded and it slid a few times too so it might not have mattered much.

Personally I'm going to put the studded front back on until we have a deeper snowpack and then maybe swap back.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

So are you guys running tubeless? I went to change my tires on a new to me Fatboy, and the new Minion 4.8s had never been mounted but evidently had sat around previous owner's garage for a few years. I tried to use the old split tube ghetto setup, but that would not work despite all my best efforts. Had to take them to bike shop where the owner cursed them a number of times then had to use every trick in the book. Now I have the Fattystripper rim strips, and learned a lot. But is it this hard every time?

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

I think it really depends a lot on the rims. We have Mulfuts on both of ours, and they set up easily. Your Fatboy might have the hookless Specialized rims. My fiancé had a 2015 Fatboy until this fall. Our LBS owner’s advice on tubeless setup on them was: possible, but not ideal.

Mine are just the opposite. They're cheap Chinese carbon wrapped with an Bud and Lou. I have to stand on them to unseat the bead and every time I have to replace a spoke I'm afraid I'm gonna bust the rim getting the tire off.

This will be my first winter with no fatty in about 6 years, gonna run 27.5 x 3" studs on my Karate Monkey and stay off the groomers unless they're rock solid. If it's a shit ski season maybe it will have been a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    This will be my first winter with no fatty in about 6 years, gonna run 27.5 x 3" studs on my Karate Monkey and stay off the groomers unless they're rock solid. If it's a shit ski season maybe it will have been a good choice
    This. Kinda. Hardly get enough decent snow that lasts very long by me. The fatty pretty much lives just as a hardtail now with a 3" "big boned" setup on 35mm rims. Easy enough to throw the big tire/wheels on if we do get enough snow.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I think it really depends a lot on the rims. We have Mulfuts on both of ours, and they set up easily. Your Fatboy might have the hookless Specialized rims. My fiancé had a 2015 Fatboy until this fall. Our LBS owner’s advice on tubeless setup on them was: possible, but not ideal.
    Hookless rims? I had no idea. My LBS owner, who got them installed after a battle, said to keep those tires on til they wear out, haha. Fun bike though, great improvement over the old Kona, as the carbon fork makes it light and poppy.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Hookless rims? I had no idea. My LBS owner, who got them installed after a battle, said to keep those tires on til they wear out, haha. Fun bike though, great improvement over the old Kona, as the carbon fork makes it light and poppy.

That’s what he said about the Stouts. We were asking for her buyer. I never saw them without the stock tires mounted, so that’s all I know.

I have a few friends who ride a plus bike in the winter. Krampus with DHF 29x3 for example. That works when it’s not too soft, and studs would get you a lot more of our winter days when freeze/thaw turns everything into a skating rink.

We have Wrathchilds on both ends of our bikes. I have a 2017 Blizzard and she had a 2020 Woo. So far so good, but I’m actually looking forward to the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Please post back or let me know how it goes. I've been thinking of dropping the Fat Bike and riding my 29+ bike all winter but can't decide how bad of an idea that really is (yet). That said, the rolling resistance of my 4.6" studded tires is killing me currently because we aren't fully into snow season, just mud. As funny as this sounds, I'd really like to downsize by one bike but it isn't worth it to not have an option to ride outside during the winter when I don't have time to ski.

i got GF a set of Schwalbe Ice spiker pro's for her older 26" mtn bike, a spike in every knob so depending on if they are 26 or 29 there are up to 402 studs per tire so a little more weight due to the studs but the same rolling resistance as any mtn bike knobby, delivery was about 2 weeks from CRC which is the cheapest at around 100$, i got the 2.1's her 1st ride was out on the local out door hockey rink impressed her with the awesume traction
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Please post back or let me know how it goes. I've been thinking of dropping the Fat Bike and riding my 29+ bike all winter but can't decide how bad of an idea that really is (yet). That said, the rolling resistance of my 4.6" studded tires is killing me currently because we aren't fully into snow season, just mud. As funny as this sounds, I'd really like to downsize by one bike but it isn't worth it to not have an option to ride outside during the winter when I don't have time to ski.
    Will do, I had a Bucksaw which was a cool bike but pretty much a luxury item that had to go. I actually sold three bikes in the last year without replacing any of them, not sure how I feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    402 studs per tire so a little more weight due to the studs but the same rolling resistance as any mtn bike knobby,

Your fucking dreaming. That extra traction comes at a cost, or we’d all be riding studs full time.

^^^ I don't know... I find changing from my knobby summer tire to a less knobby studded tire, I have less rolling resistance.

Which is to say that I think knob height affects rolling a lot more than studs.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Good timing, I’ve been thinking about this as well. Have had an Ice Cream Truck for the past five years that is super fun, but wondering if a Krampus would make more sense on the Front Range.

Maybe, but my Nokian extreme’s were like riding through deep sand. They had pretty long studs.

Who else is making a fat bike frame with reasonably progressive geometry? I’m kind tired of the old school XC geo of mine and was looking at the RSD Mayor. 66.5 HTA and a 74 deg STA with a longish reach seems spot on.

Any other frames like this I should be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Who else is making a fat bike frame with reasonably progressive geometry? I’m kind tired of the old school XC geo of mine and was looking at the RSD Mayor. 66.5 HTA and a 74 deg STA with a longish reach seems spot on.

Thanks Hank, I hadn't seen that one. The only other I've seen is the Rocky mtn Blizzard. Reach is less, but other specs seem good, but I'd like to ride one first. It is a 650b fatty. RSD will take any wheel size.

The Kona Wozo, sorta. Not quite that much so, but the headtube can take a Works Components headset.

I'm having a budget custom frame made up to replace my Wozo frame with reach, STA and HTA more in line with my other bikes. Won't be as light as the alloy frames out there, but I don't mind. About a month out at this point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).png 
Views:	52 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	350071
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I think both the Blizzard and the Woo ride very well. My fiancé had a Fatboy, and it was a pig. I’m not sure how Rocky reports their HTA but I imagine it’s unsaved, so my hardtail Blizzard (2017) and her rigid Woo (2020) are similar up front. Below is a screen cap from my phone of the spreadsheet I keep on our bikes.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...taiga-fatbike/

also shopping, thanks for the inputs

anyone on a salsa mukluk or surly wednesday? Wo was on my radar as well

Really wanna upgrade the 2x10 on my Trek Farley to a 1X setup... anyone have anything cheap they wanna sell??

Are you fat? Do you like it? What would you do different next time?

Got a fatboy a few weeks ago and love it - I've been riding dirt while the shock on my my my bike was getting repaired. Today was my first snow ride on real trails (rode some flat roads on a fatty a few years ago), and damn is this fun! Holy shit! Climbing and descending is a blast. Now I need to get a bike for my wife so b she can ride with me. All I can find in her size is a new Ice Cream Truck or maybe a Wednesday. Due to the shortage on bikes I might just grab whatever I can get. Bad idea?
    Last edited by WMD; 12-08-2020 at 09:54 PM.

I guess the last few day's have been ok.

^^That doesn't look bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Really wanna upgrade the 2x10 on my Trek Farley to a 1X setup... anyone have anything cheap they wanna sell??
    Check out the Box 2 complete group under $300, chain/der/shifter/cassette. 11-50 9 spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Got a fatboy a few weeks ago and love it - I've been riding dirt while the shock on my my my bike was getting repaired. Today was my first snow ride on real trails (rode some flat roads on a fatty a few years ago), and damn is this fun! Holy shit! Climbing and descending is a blast. Now I need to get a bike for my wife so b she can ride with me. All I can find in her size is a new Ice Cream Truck or maybe a Wednesday. Due to the shortage on bikes I might just grab whatever I can get. Bad idea?
    Just make sure it fits and is a playful enough geo for her. Don't worry too much about the name on the sticker and parts are parts, change what you don't like.