Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Getting close on pulling the trigger on a fatty, this one with an x.9 build is coming in at around 27 1/2 pounds, 25ish with the 11 speed build, and 22 with carbon rims.

http://www.borealisbikes.com/bikes/complete-x9/
    Probably a little rich for my blood but looks pretty sweet. If I get one and get over the 'novelty purchase' mindset things might change
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Here's what I love about fatbikes. And I definitely fell into the "cheap mass-market to try it out" category:

Suspension: Don't care.
    Grouppo: It shifts gears, it brakes. End of story.
    Weight: Don't care.
    Strava/Going Fast: Don't care.
    Shredding knobs: Don't care.
    Training: Don't care. Although as a side effect, putting in more miles than I normally would this time of year should help.

Making people smile when they look at my ridiculous tires: Yes.
    Pedaling into awesome places in the winter: Yes.
    Having gobs of fun on a stupid simple machine: Yes.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    yes particle, like skis, bikes are fun as shit before the assholes in the industry fucking ruin them. Thanks for the fucking insight asshole.
    ??? wtf are you smoking?

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about HC, but thanks for the buzzkill anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I have no idea what the hell you're talking about HC, but thanks for the buzzkill anyway.
    Methinks he's just pissed at himself for not getting his Fatboy ordered in a timely fashion.

Or just too much sand somewhere.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

hot carl?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Or I just think he's a shallow asshole trading on his wife's job to fulfill his "dream" like the rest of the "visionarys" in this subforum. Get fucked.
    Oh. Ouch. That really smarts. Wow, you've certainly put everyone here in their places.

You may want to go see a doc about the amount of butthurt you seem to be experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Probably a little rich for my blood but looks pretty sweet. If I get one and get over the 'novelty purchase' mindset things might change
    You'll get over it. Yep, not going to replace any of your other bikes by any stretch, but just plain fun on two wheels. Seems like it'd be perfect for where you live when you've not got decent ski conditions, but it's not quite great riding conditions either.

Anyhow, I look forward to watching the first kidwoo fatty edit. Fat bike, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Here's what I love about fatbikes. And I definitely fell into the "cheap mass-market to try it out" category:

Suspension: Don't care.
    Grouppo: It shifts gears, it brakes. End of story.
    Weight: Don't care.
    Strava/Going Fast: Don't care.
    Shredding knobs: Don't care.
    Training: Don't care. Although as a side effect, putting in more miles than I normally would this time of year should help.

Making people smile when they look at my ridiculous tires: Yes.
    Pedaling into awesome places all year long: Yes.
    Having gobs of fun on a stupid simple machine: Yes.
    I fixed it for you.

you might see a doc about the chaffing from his balls on your chin. I hope you get some free shitty BD gear out of the deal. Maybe he could spell collin correctly.
    Brilliant! Though, surely you can do better?

I'm not understanding why I'd be getting any free BD gear out of any deal though, as I've never had any dealings with them.
    Perhaps you ought to try reading the thread again, rather than going all short man syndrome angst-y on people, eh?

Anyhow, toodles!

I'm sorry Hugh Conway, but I'm not familiar with your illustrious posting career on TGR, but can't you find another thread to whine and complain on? This one seems to be about the joy of fat bikes, and not about your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    thanks for the heads up on the Q-tubes!
    could be a placebo effect, but seriously, the wheels spool up way faster now.
    great mixed ride today, snow, ice, dirt , water, mud...
    all good!
    from today in Walpole, NH.

Nice stokage, gotta pull some maintenance and get my Pugs back on trail. I am gonna give the Qtubes another try, this time me thinks an oz of homebrew sealant will take care of any errors in trail judgement.
    watch out for snakes

Its not about lighter for me either and yeah, parts is parts pretty much. Sure better is nice but for some reason I don't feel like I need to have the best of anything either. Maybe because high speed and fatbikes don't really go together so the precision isn't as important. Heh, tell that to the customer I worked with today who had me spec out a $6k Carver Ti XX1 bike. His plan is to add a sus fork and carbon rims before next winter too.

Hugh I really think you should stay in the padded room. It's where you belong. Asshole...

Is everyone running tubless with these things or can you do a ghetto UST setup?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

RACE TO THE BOTTOM!!!! LET'S GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Is everyone running tubless with these things or can you do a ghetto UST setup?
    Seems a mix. I saved a full pound each tire from the stock On-One things to Q-Tubes. So far, they've been fine. By the time you get everything built up and taped, the weight savings seems minimal for tubeless - seems all about the low pressure/pinch flat resistance.

Been running mine as low as 6-ish psi without issue, on rocky trail and singletrack.

YMMV, obviously.

Love tubeless on the other bikes, but unless I start getting a lot of flats, don't consider it worthwhile with all the hassle involved. Now, some of the new rims coming out may change that, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Seems a mix. I saved a full pound each tire from the stock On-One things to Q-Tubes. So far, they've been fine. By the time you get everything built up and taped, the weight savings seems minimal for tubeless - seems all about the low pressure/pinch flat resistance.

Been running mine as low as 6-ish psi without issue, on rocky trail and singletrack.

YMMV, obviously.

Love tubeless on the other bikes, but unless I start getting a lot of flats, don't consider it worthwhile with all the hassle involved. Now, some of the new rims coming out may change that, so who knows.
    Yeah the pinch flat thing was the only reason I was asking. Thanks!

Linky to the Q-Tubes? Google isn't helping much.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Its not about lighter for me either and yeah, parts is parts pretty much. Sure better is nice but for some reason I don't feel like I need to have the best of anything either. Maybe because high speed and fatbikes don't really go together so the precision isn't as important. Heh, tell that to the customer I worked with today who had me spec out a $6k Carver Ti XX1 bike. His plan is to add a sus fork and carbon rims before next winter too.
    imo, spending much over 2k on a bike is retarded. there's nothing better than demoralizing guys with an xx1 or xtr carbon wonder machine on yer x5 alu or cheap rigid steel singlespeed with the tires pumped up wicked hard with tubes

parts are parts. slx and alu is all anyone would ever need unless yer getting paid to ride.

rog

+1 on Q tubes, get as low as 5psi with no pinch flats. Did ding a rim from running to soft riding rooty rocky singletrack this fall.

Luv my silly bike, was even enjoying this thread until the cuntification started. Oh and I thought bar mitts were stupid until I got some, they're not
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 01-15-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Q-tubes - AFAIK, they are the house brand tubes for QBP. Near anyplace ought to be able to get them. Got mine via Jenson.

26" x 2.4-2.7" variety. As said, saved a full pound per wheel vs. the stock On-One tubes. Not sure how they'll compare to others. Easy weight savings for under $20.

Those that are heavy hitters or prone to flatting may want to stick with something stouter, or just do the tubeless thing. I've had no issues with mine yet, but also haven't got a ton of mileage on them either.

I'm no fat tire expert, only have two rides in on my buddy's on-one, prolly with the big ole stock tubes. Running around 6 psi I pinch flatted dropping an extended rocky trail with lots of small drops onto square edged rocks. I can say its petty easy to patch a snake bite cause it's more like a walrus bite, the holes are plenty far apart!

I wish all tubeless tires where as easy to mount as this!

Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-16-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Picked up a pair of Qtubes off Fleabay for $13 shipped.
    watch out for snakes

I have Bud n Lou on Clownshoes that I converted to split tube tubeless. I used a 24 X something Q tube with a removable presta core. I split the tube in half, easy to do because there is a mold flashing to follow. I aired the tires up with a compressor, let the air out, removed cores, injected 2 scoops of Stans. No weight savings, no foam, no tape, but the benefits of tubeless. I've run both tires as low as 2 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Q-tubes - AFAIK, they are the house brand tubes for QBP. Near anyplace ought to be able to get them. Got mine via Jenson.

26" x 2.4-2.7" variety. As said, saved a full pound per wheel vs. the stock On-One tubes. Not sure how they'll compare to others. Easy weight savings for under $20.

Those that are heavy hitters or prone to flatting may want to stick with something stouter, or just do the tubeless thing. I've had no issues with mine yet, but also haven't got a ton of mileage on them either.
    Gotcha, kinda had that realization with the Q=QBP after the fact. Thanks scrubby!