Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1323
    I wish FS fatbikes had sold a little better. There aren’t many options anymore. I get that they’re pointless on snow, but most of my fatbiking is on chunky crud and variable conditions. I also grab the fatbike during shoulder seasons when the trails could be muddy or icy. The low ground pressure leaves nothing but a faint impression of the knobs. Full suspension would be great for most of those conditions.

First Fatty of the season. Goddamn this is fun, in a 5mph, I'm probably going to die, kinda way.

Alberta mags, Calgary Cycle got a shipment of Farley 9.6 in if anyone is looking.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I wish FS fatbikes had sold a little better. There aren’t many options anymore. I get that they’re pointless on snow, but most of my fatbiking is on chunky crud and variable conditions. I also grab the fatbike during shoulder seasons when the trails could be muddy or icy. The low ground pressure leaves nothing but a faint impression of the knobs. Full suspension would be great for most of those conditions.
    this. i'm no fatty evangelist, but...

gave a tour of my local trails to someone who showed up on a Salsa ?somethingorotherFSfatbike. running their spare wheelset shod with 2.8" tires.

sure, they were a tad slower (on trails they didn't know...) but man, having a ton of fun.

with the ability bto run fatty tires in winter, and a skinnier setup in summer. OBVS the fork/tire choices are limited.

horses for courses.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

This weekend was lovely, albeit a bit cold.

https://youtu.be/ZkEdOezpaVc

It's fun with some imagination and a little work. Great for when the skiing sucks.

Anyone have any time in the Framed Minnesota (https://www.framedbikes.com/products/minnesota-fat-26)?

Two years deep into the pandemic/inflation it appears that a ton of manufacturers have either discontinued or sold out of their entry level fat bikes.

This one seemed intriguing with the deore drivetrain and the fact that they are actually available for around 1k. I’ve got a couple sets of older Shimano hydros kicking around the parts bin so swapping the brakes won’t be much trouble. Same for bars/saddles if necessary.

We have a little cabin south of Sunriver in the Bend area and it looks like there are a few good riding spots within either the backyard trails or a 20min drive. Probably going to rent a couple of bikes the next time my wife and I are down there, but the thought of having a couple fatties in the shed sounds appealing especially with historic weekend crowds at Bachelor.

I was close to buying one as used was tight and expensive. Found a used bike. I thought the Minnesota seemed perfectly fine more so with your parts bin. To get much better you need to leap up to full carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Anyone have any time in the Framed Minnesota (https://www.framedbikes.com/products/minnesota-fat-26)?

Two years deep into the pandemic/inflation it appears that a ton of manufacturers have either discontinued or sold out of their entry level fat bikes.

This one seemed intriguing with the deore drivetrain and the fact that they are actually available for around 1k. I’ve got a couple sets of older Shimano hydros kicking around the parts bin so swapping the brakes won’t be much trouble. Same for bars/saddles if necessary.

We have a little cabin south of Sunriver in the Bend area and it looks like there are a few good riding spots within either the backyard trails or a 20min drive. Probably going to rent a couple of bikes the next time my wife and I are down there, but the thought of having a couple fatties in the shed sounds appealing especially with historic weekend crowds at Bachelor.
    I know a few guys who ride Framed and they're perfectly happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I know a few guys who ride Framed and they're perfectly happy with them.
    Thanks. Are your buddies riding them in snow? Do they feel that the 170 rear end and subsequent tire width is limiting for this?

It's really interesting following this thread and other fatbike forums for the past few years. A couple of years ago, it really sounded like the future was going to be 5" plus wide tires or 27.5" wheels, and everything on 150/190 hubs. Since the pandemic and the bottom has seemed to kind of fall out of the fatbike market, I'm now finding more threads saying that some of the legacy standards may offer more future proofing just simply because more parts were produced for those bikes during the "heyday" of fatbiking.

I'm probably mostly locked in to this standard if I buy something at this point due to how much I'm willing to spend on bikes and the dearth of good used options around here. Just wondering if there is a real downside to being limited to ~4" tires and not 5" for the limited amount of riding i'd be doing on these things.

Also, how bad is it to just deal with tubes in a fatbike? I don't think the Framed wheelset is tubeless compatible, and honestly don't really feel like fucking around with tubeless on a cabin bike as long as I can air down low enough to ride on the local groomed trails.

In soft snow 5" tires do really help. Tubes are no issue though. I have no idea about differing standards. The thing I like most about the fatbike is how little time I spend working on it or thinking about it, relative to the amount I ride it.

So yeah, we don't get a ton of snow, but it doesn't take much to be too deep. Personally I have an old school Beargrease fatty and max out at 4". I'd prefer 5" because we break trail often, but 4" works. I'd like a 27.5 in 5" if it's even available. Otherwise I think I'd stay 26er 5". Now the 27.5 gives you more surface area, but I still think width is more important than length surface area. Both would be ideal. The other thing I personally really want is a steep HT angle. Beargrease is pretty good but the Rocky mnt blizzard is the best I've seen. A lot of people ride groomed or flatter trails on the fat, so HT doesn't matter, but with our lower snow levels we ride the same tech stuff all year.

And yeah, my friends and I only ride snow/ice with fattys. Dirt I like the squish.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    In soft snow 5" tires do really help. Tubes are no issue though. I have no idea about differing standards. The thing I like most about the fatbike is how little time I spend working on it or thinking about it, relative to the amount I ride it.
    This is exactly what I'm hoping will happen with the fatties. I've got plenty of nicer bikes that I spend too much time screwing around with. The older I get, the more I just want something basic that I can ride, put way, ride again with no hassle. Been getting into 90's MTB's for that reason lately.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Broke out the 2014 Kona Wo yesterday as the Beargrease is torn apart at the moment. This was their first fatty. Thing came with beach cruiser handle bars . Rog hooked me up with regular bars when he sold it to me. She's still going strong!

I electrified mine and put the biggest tires that will fit... looking forward to the cold snap ending to get back out!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Pretty but cold day for a ride on some mellow city single-track on my electrified Norco Bigfoot.

Pulled the trigger on a Salsa Muckluck at the LBS. Took it out for an hour and a half ride and had a great time.
    I feel pretty silly because I've been thinking of getting a fat bike for about 5 years.

Another groomer potential or just ride

https://youtu.be/JTXGraGGr04

I’ve never ridden a Christini.
    But for 2 grand less, I think I’ll stick with the Shreddly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	400717

Local shops are expecting Rocky mtn Blizzards to land end of Jan or in Feb, but nobody is actually counting on it. I have my name on one when it arrives. I'm overdue for a new fatty and looking forward to 66 degree HT.

Unless you have a lot of single track, that doesn’t allow e-bikes. I’d get one with a motor and studded 45North Wrathchilds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	402722

The combo’s opened a ton of roads and groomed MUT’s, that an acoustic bike would just never even see.

^oh I totally agree, but I'm not there yet location wise. We don't get enough snow to justify that purchase. Athough I'd like it for grooming purposes a few times a year.

I know they're new and don't seem to be in stock anywhere, but does anyone have time on the new Terrene Yippie Ki Yay tires? I just picked up a new-to-me beargrease that came with Van Helgas, they feel tiny compared to the Bud/Lous I've had the past few seasons. New bike is 27.5 so bigger options are limited and while yes, I could stuff in the 26" wheels, they are very shitty and weigh a boatload, even for fatbike wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I know they're new and don't seem to be in stock anywhere, but does anyone have time on the new Terrene Yippie Ki Yay tires? I just picked up a new-to-me beargrease that came with Van Helgas, they feel tiny compared to the Bud/Lous I've had the past few seasons. New bike is 27.5 so bigger options are limited and while yes, I could stuff in the 26" wheels, they are very shitty and weigh a boatload, even for fatbike wheels.
    Looks almost identical to the Johnny 5 but in a 27.5 wheel size.

I have johhny 5 (studded) and like them but haven't tried a tonne of other tires to compare to.