Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1323
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm fat year round Waddayya mean it's not like "regular" mt biking? Whatever. It's fun, makes me laugh like a little kid. I haven't ridden mine in a while though, still working around this heart problem and spending all of my ride time on a hardtail plus e-mtb and lovin' it but, if the fatty is going to be an all year rig you need a good fork on it. You have to damp the bounce so you can take advantage of all the traction available. Yup this sounds like the same thing you heard in 1994 because some things can't change Get a Wren fork not the others, if you want 10% off hit me up for a code. If you're only riding smooth(ish) groomers and beach then rigid is better. I'm still going to vote for 4.6 or bigger just because I'm that contrarian guy... Actually I like that the wider tires give me more line options and let me be lazier but snow (and sand) float is a thing and you don't want to rut up those groomers.
    Oh, fun as fuck, don’t get me wrong! But not that shreddy fast feeling you get rallying dirt!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Oh, fun as fuck, don’t get me wrong! But not that shreddy fast feeling you get rallying dirt!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    See, and I'm not the typical rad TGR shredder on a bike, which is why I think I might like the fat bike in the summer.

My old bike is an XC from 2005... decidedly NOT rad. And going really fast on a bike has always scared me anyway.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    On this subject, how many people here are riding their fatties year round? I bought some 4 inch "summer" tires so I'm going to try it but I'm curious what others experiences are.

Also, who is using suspension on their bikes and is it worth it? I'd love to try a mastodon but the cost is not much less than my bike so I'm hesitant.

Me.

Kona Wozo with a 120mm Bluto, -2* Works Components headset, Two wheelsets. As a hardtail, it's pretty damn fun if you ignore the wide spacing.

4-5" fatties on 65mm rims, and 2.6-2.8" on 34mm rims.
    The fatties really don't see much ride time, unless we get a big enough snow dump, or when everything is post-ice-storm coated.

Had a fat bike, had a hardtail. Reduced the stable (blasphemy!) and turned them into one bike. I'd only go back to rigid fork if we started getting heavy snow winters and it spent lots of time in fat-tire only costume.

The Bluto, even with the higher end damper still suffers compared to the Manitou Mastodon. Better damping, stiffer, and more travel/axle to crown adjustment available with the Mastodon. I already own the Bluto, and when running a 2.8-3" front tire, the damping quality and stiffness is less an issue (IMO) than when on skinnier meats/more travel. I also only weigh about 160# so having the fork stiffness for me, and where I ride isn't really an issue.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Are you fat? Do you like it? What would you do different next time?

I rode the fatty exclusively for years in Illinois. It rains there all the time and the sanctioned trails are often closed for months at a time.

My place backed up to a huge network of turf equestrian trails, that only got used a few day a year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	318659

Now I got this.

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	318660

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I rode the fatty exclusively for years in Illinois. It rains there all the time and the sanctioned trails are often closed for months at a time.

My place backed up to a huge network of turf equestrian trails, that only got used a few day a year.

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	318659

Now I got this.

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	318660
    So, yeah. Horses for courses.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

See, and I'm not the typical rad TGR shredder on a bike, which is why I think I might like the fat bike in the summer.

My old bike is an XC from 2005... decidedly NOT rad. And going really fast on a bike has always scared me anyway.

This was me. (50 yr old) I use to ride BMX bikes all through high school and rode an old Gary Fischer Tassajara from 2005. Love the feel of a full suspension bike on trails/ love the feel of a gravel bike on the bike paths. Kinda realistically took a look at where I ride the most and determined a 29+ rigid fit my needs/ wallet for the majority of the time. Basically a compromise on three fronts: commuting, trail riding and winter riding. Got a Surly Krampus and have been happy running it tubeless.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Anyone who thinks riding a slow bike on slow trails in the snow isn't fun, I challenge you to take a 1/2 tab of acid and repeat the experiment and then check back in.

Man it's really fun to ride slow in places you usually can't ride at al... like a creek bed.

Let’s revive this thread, thinking about a fat bike for the winter up here (ID).

I’ve got a dirt road that goes up into the hills maybe 3/4 of a mile from my door with many many miles of interconnected fire roads that don’t get plowed in the winter.

I need to do a bit more research but one of the big questions I currently have is whether I really need a susp fork on this thing. Can anyone who has ridden both speak to this?

FWIW I don’t see this being a regular warm season bike for me, maybe get ridden occasionally when the snow melts.

I'm going to caveat this post by saying that I haven't ridden a fat bike with a suspension fork. I've read some posts where it's suggested that they don't do as well in cold temps, but I have no personal experience. I have a Kona Wo with a carbon fork (probably be putting it up for sale soon) that I've ridden in the winter quite a bit around here (NW Montana). I will say that when riding trails or roads where others have been walking (post-holing), you definitely feel the bumps even with low pressures. I could see suspension being really helpful there. Otherwise, you have a bit of compliance built right into the tires.

If you are interested in a 2016 Kona Wo size L with a carbon fork and both studded/non-studden tires, let me know. I'll probably letting mine go this fall. I have too many bikes and had to decide between the gravel bike and the fat bike.

Seth

I bought cheap fork from a brand I had never heard of (RST Renegade) on my fat bike this summer to try it on the trails.

What seth said above about riding where others of walked is quite jarring, and riding in fresh snow is not as much fun as you think it will be, so I end up riding on the post holes anyway.

My research suggests only the Bluto doesn't do well in the cold and that my fork should he ok down to -20C or so. The Mastadon is supposed to be 100% fine to even colder, if that fork price point is in your budget.

I will try to remember to report back in winter if my fork holds up in cold temps, but my riding last year led me to the conclusion that I wanted front suspension even in winter.

I bought cheap fork
    RST Renegade works in the cold. Helps the post holes and on firmer stuff you can bump front tire PSI up a bit to kill self-steer /knock down the bouncing ball higher psi tire thing. I actually use the remote because I run it a bit softer for slow-motion fatbiking. Crank the compression for the DH so I do not pack it down as much, in an attempt to keep the old school geo from becoming super steep.

Two winters in and it is starting to crap out, I have not found much info on service or parts. If anyone finds something, pass it on.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    RST Renegade works in the cold. Helps the post holes and on firmer stuff you can bump front tire PSI up a bit to kill self-steer /knock down the bouncing ball higher psi tire thing. I actually use the remote because I run it a bit softer for slow-motion fatbiking. Crank the compression for the DH so I do not pack it down as much, in an attempt to keep the old school geo from becoming super steep.

Two winters in and it is starting to crap out, I have not found much info on service or parts. If anyone finds something, pass it on.
    Good info... thanks.

What do you mean by "crap out"?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Let’s revive this thread, thinking about a fat bike for the winter up here (ID).

I’ve got a dirt road that goes up into the hills maybe 3/4 of a mile from my door with many many miles of interconnected fire roads that don’t get plowed in the winter.

I need to do a bit more research but one of the big questions I currently have is whether I really need a susp fork on this thing. Can anyone who has ridden both speak to this?

FWIW I don’t see this being a regular warm season bike for me, maybe get ridden occasionally when the snow melts.
    I rode a Bluto for a season and a half. It was shit, definitely not worth the weight penalty. IMO, I wouldn't bother with a suspended fork, for fatty riding, the lighter the better with one exception, a dropper is a must. As for the fire roads, they'll be great with 6 inches or less, above that you need a packed base to fatbike on.

You don’t have to have a suspension, but it’s nice. I rode a ridged Pug for years, until I up graded to a Farley w/Bluto.

I still have the Farley. But when it gets steep & deep, I grab the e bike. The torque gets me up the punchy climbs and thru the deep snow better.

For me, the e bike replaces a fatty, a gravel grinder, a road bike and a grocery getter.

I took off my Bluto last year, put on a carbon fork. I don’t miss it one bit, but we have around 50 miles of frequently groomed trails around here, so it was pretty unnecessary. Obviously the bike is a shitload lighter now.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cool, I don’t foresee people walking up there without snowshoes. I think I’ll start looking for bikes with rigid forks and if I ever feel the need to upgrade, well the option’s always there.

In regards to packing in trails, how do snow machine trails ride? From the few people I’ve talked to it sounds like the area will be regularly traveled by that crowd. Short of getting run over I’d think they’d ride pretty good, might need/want studs?

Seth - how tall are you? I normally ride medium frames but could possibly be in between @ 5’10”. Also FWIW let’s just say no one has always called me stumpy.

Seth - how tall are you? I normally ride medium frames but could possibly be in between @ 5’10”. Also FWIW let’s just say no one has always called me stumpy.
    I'm 6'. I think with a shorter stem than I have on there that you'd be golden. In addition to the fork I went to 1x and upgraded the shifter and cassette. I have 4" FBF/FBR summer tires and 4.6" Terene Wazias for winter.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Snowmobile trails are good.

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	336450

Also FWIW let’s just say no one has always called me stumpy.
    That’s not what your ex-girlfriends say.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Can't ski this year so just about to pull the trigger on a 2021 norco big foot 3 for 1500 $ any ya or nays ?

edit : never mind I pulled the trigger, I need something to do in winter when I can't go sking 70-100 days

1500$ is not a lot of money and bro is gona eat the tax, but I was lucky to get that much discount, he said there are no more fat bikes period and he didnt have to discount

there is just so much no bikes left in stock or anywhere general so I thot I better jump on it

up to 5 bikes again
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-30-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Can't ski this year so just about to pull the trigger on a 2021 norco big foot 3 for 1500 $ any ya or nays
    I bought one last year and I like it. But the tektro mechanical disc brakes suck.

I upgraded to low end shimano hydraulics at the time of purchase which were better, but ended up putting SLX on my self later.

I'd recommend upgrading to ay least Deore when you buy the bike and the shop should give you a discount and install it.

Edit: I don't see the 2021 on the Norco website so I don't know what it comes spec'd with, but I paid $1299 for mine last year... $1500 sounds high... maybe it's different components?

I bought one last year and I like it. But the tektro mechanical disc brakes suck.

I upgraded to low end shimano hydraulics at the time of purchase which were better, but ended up putting SLX on my self later.

I'd recommend upgrading to ay least Deore when you buy the bike and the shop should give you a discount and install it.

Edit: I don't see the 2021 on the Norco website so I don't know what it comes spec'd with, but I paid $1299 for mine last year... $1500 sounds high... maybe it's different components?

https://www.velozophie.ca/us/2021-no...he-rigide.html

yeah last years price was 1299, norco has upgraded some stuff so the ^^ 1500 MSRP is correct, that link is not the store I am dealing with but it shows 1500 is the MSRP for the 2021's

a big BUT is you bought pre pandemic, in 2020 Bike stores were considered essential service, hi end/ low end/ road ever thing has been flying out the door, buddy had no normal HT's under 2K left back in may, sales have been up 30% a month so
    no tax WAS the bro deal and he didnt really need to do that

edit: are your tires studdable ? Tires on the 2021 are studable I think I am gona get some studs
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like you'd get 11 speed where I got 10 (but still deore), and a thru-axle rear hub (which I would have liked to have had), 27.5" wheels... everything else looks the same.

I'd change out the brakes as described above if you buy one.

My tires are stud-able and I studded them. It's a pain to do but worth it considering how much new studded tires cost. I bought a cheap tool to insert the studs on amazon and it was not an ergonomic tool... i couldn't do it all at once... too hard on my wrists. I bought a bontragger tire stud tool that I'll try this winter but it's a T-handle and looks like it will be easier to work with.

in Utah the beauty of fat bikes is the fat biking is great when the skiing isn't. And when the pow is blowing the fat biking is less than optimal. So you can double the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    in Utah the beauty of fat bikes is the fat biking is great when the skiing isn't. And when the pow is blowing the fat biking is less than optimal. So you can double the fun.
    Exactly. The fat bike is a hedge against bad skiing conditions.