Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Gravity, I blame my work PC, it won't display TGR forums correctly .

Buttah, that makes me think I go full CF frame.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Hey at least you can check the board at work. I have to use my phone with WiFi off if I want to do that, our tech guy blocked it from the server.

I thought carbon would be the way to go and spent some time on the Beargrease. Nope, didn't do it. I dunno, I don't think of these as "fast" just fun. It's a giggly good time and kinda relaxing actually.

will be checking out the charge fatty on Monday. talked to a guy from n-con that has one. he says it's quite the bike. db chromo and slim legged chromo fork rides so sweet according to him.

rog

Yesterday was Global Fat Bike Day and even though temperatures were in the teens, Utah was well represented.

Nice. I was working...

^^^^^^^^you in Utah?

checking out that charge today. do I take it home or do I not?

rog

fire jumping= awesome
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    ^^^^^^^^you in Utah?

checking out that charge today. do I take it home or do I not?

rog
    Me? No.

Here's the question you need to ask yourself. Will being limited to a 4" tire be an issue in the future? I know, all the talk about the mythical 5" tire that doesn't exist and all that but, I have a feeling that you will want to ride beaches and snow so the extra float no matter how minimal will be taken advantage of. That's the difference between the 170 and 190 rear. I got two bikes to solve that problem. Of course I called one my wifes bike...

You could just get the fatter one and build a second set of wheels for your more xc oriented rides.

i'll check the clearance. I have ridden snow of varying consistencies with 4.0's and never had a complaint. plus i'm the type of guy that buys a bike and leaves it alone. pretty much stock till I break something or wear it out to death. just ride it. even being a 20+ year shop guy. I work on other peoples bikes and the last thing I wanna do is work on or change shit on mine. it's a bike, just a bike.

seeing as how i'll most likely ride it all year for everything including mounting a surfboard rack to it for long beach break scoping/access. with road miles to get there.

stoked!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    plus i'm the type of guy that buys a bike and leaves it alone. pretty much stock till I break something or wear it out to death. just ride it. even being a 20+ year shop guy. I work on other peoples bikes and the last thing I wanna do is work on or change shit on mine. it's a bike, just a bike.

seeing as how i'll most likely ride it all year for everything including mounting a surfboard rack to it for long beach break scoping/access. with road miles to get there.

stoked!

rog
    Yeah me too. I don't even change cables until I need to. Tires yeah because no bike co. could ever guess what would be right for where I'm riding on whatever day but otherwise meh, parts is parts.

That right there is where I was headed. Sand plus carrying a load might necessitate additional contact patch size. It wasn't necessarily about the snow so much because you have access to snowmo roads and such that I don't really.

A couple of us did the Global Fat Bike Day at Red Cliffs in southern Utah. It was their 3rd largest snowfall for a single day.

i'm considering buying the charge bike over the kona (I sell kona) just for the fact that the vee rubber v8 tires are over 300 grams a piece lighter than the same size missions, and it has a flat bar instead of that weird mary type bar on the kona. the price comes out the same but would be costlier if I swapped out tires and bars on the kona. tread doesn't matter to me as pressure and riding technique trump tread pattern by far any day of the week, imo.

the 4.0 should be fine on my singletrack trails as I will be slowshoeing them down to packed snow before riding them unless only a few inches fall at a time. and our sand here is flat and firm.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Me? No.

Here's the question you need to ask yourself. Will being limited to a 4" tire be an issue in the future? I know, all the talk about the mythical 5" tire that doesn't exist and all that but, I have a feeling that you will want to ride beaches and snow so the extra float no matter how minimal will be taken advantage of. That's the difference between the 170 and 190 rear. I got two bikes to solve that problem. Of course I called one my wifes bike...
    Split the difference - my plan for the Fatty is a 4.8-5" tire up front, leaving the 4" in back. The leftover 4" tire then becomes a spare rear - perfect since it's the one that'll get worn down way faster.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Split the difference - my plan for the Fatty is a 4.8-5" tire up front, leaving the 4" in back. The leftover 4" tire then becomes a spare rear - perfect since it's the one that'll get worn down way faster.
    That's what I'm doing here in Maine. Pretty happy with the big meat up front, will run my HuDu's for summer tires.

^^^^^^good idea! just brought home my new fatty. will ride the 4.0's till they wear thru

thanx for all of the inspiration boyz!

where in maine are ya, ticketchecker? i'm here too.

rog

Portland, loafer in the winter. U?

Last year in MN we had close to 100 riders. It was in the upper 30's. This year it was about -15 (without windchill), and wasn't quite so well attended. I think I saw a pic of about 8 people.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Portland, loafer in the winter. U?
    York, mt Washington in the winter, loaf in the spring. we should ride!

oh and the charge has room for 5.0's i'm pretty sure. did my 1st ride on it this am. great bike! rode all kinds of surfaces and trail/road types. tomorrow mornings ride should be sweet as the ground is covered with a nice film of snow

rog

You ever ride smith preserve in kbunk?

What did you end up getting rog?
    watch out for snakes

buttah what kind of bike is that?
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    buttah what kind of bike is that?
    2013 Salsa Mukluk 2.
    it's changed winter forever, next storm should get the snowmachiner's out, and then it's on!
    looking forward to long rides on packed trails.

from today in Walpole, NH.

tune's are crucial.

crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    You ever ride smith preserve in kbunk?
    I haven't yet, but have heard good things. sooooo much riding in kittery/York that I hardly ever leave to ride unless it's bear brook or north Conway.

headed out for the 4th fat ride in as many days this am.

perfect weather for it

rog

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    What did you end up getting rog?
    charge cooker maxi. sweet ride. tange double butted seamless chromo. a bit lighter frame/fork that the surlys. thin tubes baby!

will probably sell my other mtb and just ride this all year. it's more capable than a skinny tire mtb, why not?

rog