Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    been very happy with my new 1x10 fatty setup. 30t race face nw ring with 11-36 in the rear. no clutch derailleur needed with the nw ring. dropped a bunch of weight with this setup too

rog

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have that thought pretty frequently too. I'm hoping that the lower range cassettes I've been reading about actually do get released. I've heard all sorts of stuff like 12 or 13 -40 or 42 10 speed. I think that 40 would do it for me because I don't feel like I need much but 42 would mean I could comfortably go to a 28 up front and get a lower gear as well as the cleaner 1x10.
    26x11-36 works pretty well in our area. seriously. on this bike, i don't think i've ever had it in the 11t other than in the stand. the smaller ring actually lets me use the whole cassette, instead of just the upper few. plenty enough high and low for our area.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Sounds like Shimano is coming out with a 1x11 / 2x11 xtr offering for 2015

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2015-shi...ew-899606.html

^^^wow

Benny sneaks in, drops a steamer then sneaks back out.
    watch out for snakes

Yeah I'm never gonna go to the 11 either and probably don't need 12. I do want lower than the 36 though. With the unending grip I feel like I could take advantage of a super low gear.

30 x11 gets used often as i try to ride to trails vs driving as much as possible. 30x11 is barely tolerable for that purpose. It is nice using the whole cassette with going single. Cant hate the weight savings either.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    30 x11 gets used often as i try to ride to trails vs driving as much as possible. 30x11 is barely tolerable for that purpose. It is nice using the whole cassette with going single. Cant hate the weight savings either.

rog
    I have a couple spots local that I pedal on the road to ride, but...the idea of riding the fatbike there no matter the gearing... ugh.

I've commuted to work a few nights when the snow/ice was particularly shitty (and my commuter would have suuuucked the next morning) and that was enough to make me not want to pedal it on pavement again, even with the tires pumped up a fair bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The v8's roll really well on pavement and i never am more than 10 miles on pavement from home or where i want to get to and 10 miles on fatty at 9/10 psi is nothin. Nice warm up or cool down/bonus miles

Stoked for more morning snowy goodness!

rog

RockShox's new Bluto for Fatties

Model Bluto RL
    Weight 3.96 lbs.
    Wheel Size 26"
    Travel (mm) 80mm/100mm/120mm
    Steerer/Steerer options Aluminum 1 1/8"/Aluminum 1.5 to 1 1.8" Taper
    Crown Forged, AL66 TV aluminum
    Upper Tube Type 32mm
    Upper Tube Finish Low friction anodize Fast Black
    Axle 15x150 Maxle Lite
    Damper Adjust Crown or Remote
    Remote PushLoc Sprint (Remote must be ordered separately)
    Spring/Spring Options Solo Air
    Color Gloss Black, Diffusion Black, Gloss White
    Fork Offset 51mm
    Brake Type Disc
    Lower Leg Material Magnesium
    Maximum Rotor Size 200mm

Another new hub size is a bit of a bummer though

Some new bikes already being announced

Rocky Mountain BLizzard
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocky-m...-fat-bike.html

Borealis Echo

Salsa Bucksaw
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_bucksaw

Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.

^^ Ya get the feeling there are going to be a bunch of full rigid used fatties for sale soon?

rigid roolz 4 evah. no matter what the tire size

rog

Looking at it from another perspective, If the rims are up to it, that might be awful fun in Moab on Porc.

Which I challenge rog to a ride off if he rides it rigid.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^ Ya get the feeling there are going to be a bunch of full rigid used fatties for sale soon?
    I would still keep my Pugs just cus it fkncore. Now that there are tire options it could a dual purpose ride.

That Salsy looks as smooth as the prom queens thighs.
    Last edited by scottyb; 04-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    watch out for snakes

So yeah, umm see, its like this - Full rigid no matter what tire size is hard on old man ankles. I get it though, terminally young (read as masochistic and stubborn) of mind and body might have you believing it. I have a feeling one good ride in the Taconics or the Hudson Highlands would have you, yes even you, considering it.

yeah yeah, maybe when i'm in my 50's

killer all dirt ride at stratham alps yesterday. the fatty is just too much fun.

new panaracer tire coming out in a 3.8 @ 1180 grams with a retail of 90.00. available in june i guess. supposedly more knob than a knard, but less than a nate. nice way to shed almost another 1.5 pounds off of the charge. fkna. set of marge lite wheels, another pound, carbon carver fork, another 1.5+ pounds.

then i'd race it in regular expert cat 1 xc races just for yucks

rog

So yeah, umm see, its like this - Full rigid no matter what tire size is hard on old man ankles. I get it though, terminally young (read as masochistic and stubborn) of mind and body might have you believing it. I have a feeling one good ride in the Taconics or the Hudson Highlands would have you, yes even you, considering it.
    The weight penalty of going full suspension on a fatty just seems unnecessary. Running big, low psi tires really smooths things out quite a bit. I've ridden my fatty through bike park brake jack and through endless rock gardens pretty similar to what you get around the Hudson. My ankles and knees were fine. Granted, if you take that shit fast you get bounced all over the place because your "suspension" is undamped.

Having said all that, that Salsa looks like fun. My wife has a commuting option to work via snowpacked freeride trails. If she sees that Salsa, we're probably out a couple grand for another bike, plus whatever our ER deductible is for falling off of snowpacked ladder bridges.

I'm really glad to see the "my roxx are gnarlier than your roxx" argument make it to fat bikes.

They're really coming along as an integral tool in the mountain bike trade when that happens.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Heheh ^^

So what, a year or so and there should be something ~120mm f/r around 28 or 29# that takes 4.6+" rubber. 1 x 10, 12-40 x 28-30t, thru axles, factory tubeless and it has to be a wacky color :-)
    Last edited by gravitylover; 04-14-2014 at 07:11 PM.

^^^ yep. that's evolution. ain't it?

I'm 56 with some aftermarket parts and more in my future. I've loved my Pug for three years, but think I can see a FS Fatty coming along.

Yeah full squish Fat. Need.

ditto

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I'm 56 with some aftermarket parts and more in my future. I've loved my Pug for three years, but think I can see a FS Fatty coming along.
    That would be me as well, except for the already owning a fatbike part. The FS fatty is the perfect bike for us adventurous old farts.

BTW, if you already own a Mukluk, and are thinking abut slapping on a Bluto, read this first, it may not be as simple as you think:
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/rocks...salsa_fatbikes
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

bonin up on this split pivot stuff
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Split-P...agle-2011.html
    watch out for snakes