Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Haha...it's still at the shop, between the frigid wasteland and a few feet of new snow, I have been slacking.
    Hosting a Fat bike race at Snow King tonight, though!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Until our little dump yesterday the riding has been sooo good. I've been having so much fun I bought a 2nd Pugsley to turn on a few friends. So far I've had 5 people out on one or the other and it's better than riding solo. Now the skiing is sweet - win win. Here's a custom Wraith "Grunt" my buddy Daren recently built - short stays & slack geometry means this handles like a dream:
    Daren was one of the guys who gave me a good tour of Sunday River that trip I took up your direction. Nice dudes

He had a couple of his FS rigs along - cool looking work! Only pedaled around on one a bit in the parking lot, but it felt pretty good. Stupid me didn't take him up on the offer to do a run or three on one of them. Doh!

If I were in the market for a custom FS frame, he'd likely be the builder, if not Waltworks. It may not be his main gig, but the stuff I saw certainly looked nicer and more well thought out than some of the other custom stuff floating around out there.

Picturing a simple 5" single pivot, but built along the lines of a Heckler - slack and tough. Gah! Must not think about it...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bigger. Tire. Up. Front. Fuck yeah.

Drilled out the stock front rim, installed a Bud. So far have only had it on snow, but me likey. Kinda thinking the Lou would have been a better all around tread, since this bike will more likely see more dirt than snow over its lifetime. Whatever. Either one puts a hell of a lot of rubber down.

Hope/Marge Lite wheel showed up. Setup tubeless fairly easily with the stock rim strip and a Clown Shoe rim strip. Used a tube first to set the bead on one side, removed tube, poured in some Stan's and aired right up. Same deal on the front, but the tire/rim combo there on the the stock setup is super loosey-goosey - didn't want to keep fucking with it, so has a tube.

Can still run stupid low pressure, and would gain more weight than the tube to get enough material in there to seal it up, so...meh. Lost a bit of heft from drilling, but regained with the Bud. Happy with the tire, so don't care.

30# as-is, and feels good. Less would require more $$$ or ditching the dropper post. The bike feels and rides great, so fuck it. Want dirt now. Our nice snow dump of the other day has turned into iced over crap. Will get out for a ride tomorrow regardless, because it still beats the trainer or trying to snowshoe on that crap.

^^^ can you comment on the sizing of the On-One. I seem to be inbetween a 18" and a 20"
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    ^^^ can you comment on the sizing of the On-One. I seem to be in between a 18" and a 20"
    Yes, but probably not in any way that'll do you any good.

I'm 5'8" with average arm/leg/torso and prefer small frames. The small with a 60mm stem and non-layback post fits me *just* how I like my frames to fit and feel.

I'd just say to compare as closely as you are able to whatever frames you are riding now, go from there. Otherwise, if in between sizes - if you want it for a general play bike with some snow time, but mostly just dicking about on trail go the smaller. If you want slower mostly on snow and not interested in the thing for dirt time, go larger.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Yes, but probably not in any way that'll do you any good.

I'm 5'8" with average arm/leg/torso and prefer small frames. The small with a 60mm stem and non-layback post fits me *just* how I like my frames to fit and feel.

I'd just say to compare as closely as you are able to whatever frames you are riding now, go from there. Otherwise, if in between sizes - if you want it for a general play bike with some snow time, but mostly just dicking about on trail go the smaller. If you want slower mostly on snow and not interested in the thing for dirt time, go larger.

No, that helps. Thanks.
    I generally go by TT length (I like 24", with 60mm ish stems). so that would put me in the 20" range, and I have a 20" Satori that I enjoy (a lot). So thats 2 points for 20", but they have this sizing guide that is throwing me off.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/help/what-size-bike

From what you said, I'll assume it will fit like my Kona (similar geo), and go for 20". I'm 6ft and 1.5 inches.
    Just waiting for the rolling chassis to come back into stock, or something used.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

go based on TT length.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    170 rear?
    Yup. Because of knee issues with wide Q cranks, and because my heels smack the hell out of wide frames, and because the adj CS length means I can run 4.7 tires with 80 or 90 mm rims, I decided on this 170 frame. Not stoked that Salsa won't let you upgrade to their carbon fork with this Ti frameset, but OTOH I may put on that rockshox fork when it becomes available.

Just got confirmation that my Hope hubs have shipped from the UK. 40 poe rear hub, and front converts into any config. US retailers / distributors are still shipping the old version.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yup. Because of knee issues with wide Q cranks, and because my heels smack the hell out of wide frames, and because the adj CS length means I can run 4.7 tires with 80 or 90 mm rims, I decided on this 170 frame. Not stoked that Salsa won't let you upgrade to their carbon fork with this Ti frameset, but OTOH I may put on that rockshox fork when it becomes available.

Just got confirmation that my Hope hubs have shipped from the UK. 40 poe rear hub, and front converts into any config. US retailers / distributors are still shipping the old version.

Nice, very interested to see this build when finished.
    watch out for snakes

I already have my riding costume figured out.

Ha! I saw that vid the other day, fkna good stuff. I think I need to put something like that together too. Hey, we should have a fatty get together at Rog's place and go freak out some downeastuhnuhs as we roll down the beach dressed like clowns with tunes like that blasting

cmon up!

rog

Nice, very interested to see this build when finished.
    Pretty stoked on how it turned out:

you such a trend setter
    watch out for snakes

scrub, when are you going to take the next logical step?

scrub, when are you going to take the next logical step?

No. Just...no.

Was out on the snowshoes today. I'm not a "fatbiker". Just a guy who rides mtbs, one of which happens to have very large tires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salsa mukluk ti compr.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	151899
    got in the first real ride today. so far, so good. main reasons I went w/ the 2014 mukluk is the geo ... I can get the CS length pretty damn short and still have plenty of clearance (currently a 4.25 tire on an 82 mm rim, but can fit a so-called 5 inch tire if I decide to down the road), the BB height is lower than most FBs I looked at, and Salsa has recently gone to a large offset fork--which enables a slack HA and short stem (mine is 55 I think) to feel right. From my new-to-this-genre perspective, FWIW, it seems like fatbike designers are going through the same learning curve 29er HT designers went thru 5 yrs ago i.e. the conventional designs have long CS, steep HA, not much fork rake / offset.

Really stoked that my oneUp 42T cog came in just in time for the build (was backordered for a few weeks). I didn't realize that the 30T RF narrow/wide ring I ordered has a significant shim built in i.e. reduces the chainline 4 mm or so, but I'm glad it does. I know some 1X10 users w/ the 42T cog have had less than perfect shifting, but my setup just took a few mins to install and adjust and works perfectly across all the gears, including backpedalling, and I think it's because the chainline is just far enough in.

got in the first real ride today. so far, so good.

Nice did you end up hitting Corral? if so sorry about hitting it up late and leaving some big ruts in the snow for you! I'm thinking about getting a smaller ring up front, I'm finding I spend a lot of time in the granny wishing I had a little bit lower gear. I put a Nate in the back, it made a big traction difference.

rode tahoe mtn from the Y while the truck was getting worked on. AC and I are hitting Cedar this afternoon.

So another maggot pointed me to this ski mountaineering bike set up, sounds like if there is enough interest they will go into production this fall for these ski mounts, if interested you should contact them though there website.

This was the response I got

"I'd be happy to answer any questions on the ski mounts. They're super solid. Really, the only possible modifications I might make are room for a longer ski (currently 188 cm is the longest they'll reasonably fit) as well as a wider ski (currently 125 mm under foot is the widest they will fit). Anyway, call me on my cell (303) ***-**** and we can chat a bit if you like."

http://boobicycles.com/ski-mountaineering-bike/

No place for the boots?

And what if I wanna use my NAXO rock skis?

Bamboo?

The ice axe holders would be great on crowded trails.

No beer holders?
    watch out for snakes

No place for the boots?
    Tech compatible pedals homie, if you can't ride it clean don't lock the toes....
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

No place for the boots?
    I normally just pedal with my boots on, unless I have a dry trail approach after I ditch the bike. Bet you could figure a way to strap them onto the rack with a little imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a smaller ring up front, I'm finding I spend a lot of time in the granny wishing I had a little bit lower gear. ]
    I have that thought pretty frequently too. I'm hoping that the lower range cassettes I've been reading about actually do get released. I've heard all sorts of stuff like 12 or 13 -40 or 42 10 speed. I think that 40 would do it for me because I don't feel like I need much but 42 would mean I could comfortably go to a 28 up front and get a lower gear as well as the cleaner 1x10.

I ended up holding off this year, as we are starting to get the 'real estimates' for a full home remodel. Yeesh.
    gonna wait and see what 'standards' shake out for next year, and buy accordingly.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident