Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1323
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Over in the EC thread we're discussing the 27.5 vs 26 fatty. What'd y'all kooks have to say about that?
    I think the total tire/wheel height and tread width of 26x5 and 27.5x4.5 are very similar.

A very real consideration (for another year or two until 27.5 fat becomes more popular) is that there are more tires options in 26" wheels.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I will x-post this to Gear swap but.

Lake MXZ 303 shoes/boots for sale. Used 3 times. Size 12. Excellent condition.

I was thinking about $ 180.00 and you pick up (Bozeman) or pay shipping.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/l...RoCnhsQAvD_BwE
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Farley vs. Blizzard. Bike fight, who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I had a Farley a few years ago and it was stupid light for an aluminum fat bike. I put a carbon fork in it and it was like ride a fat XC race bike.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I had a Farley a few years ago and it was stupid light for an aluminum fat bike. I put a carbon fork in it and it was like ride a fat XC race bike.
    Well I'm-a gonna ride one of each asap and get back to y'all. Danke.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I like the 67 vs 69 head tube angle on the Blizzard. More raked is better on fresh snow and just better geo for anything a bit techy.

^^ Yup. Slacker is betterer. Can the new Farley take a 4.6 or bigger? Meh on the 27.5 fat, part of the joy of fat is the tall squishy sidewall. Stick with 26.

Riding lake ice last week

Fuckin gorgeous dude. You need to hire me to be a photo slut 🤡

Apetor would approve
    watch out for snakes

I wanted to see the huck off the dock.

Apetor would be much more impressed if I hucked off that dock to flat on the thinner ice around it for sure!

I do have the Apetor ahhhhh after a drink thing going

Bikes and Beacons. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Apetor would be much more impressed if I hucked off that dock to flat on the thinner ice around it for sure!

I do have the Apetor ahhhhh after a drink thing going
    Love it!

But apetor would be wearing significantly fewer clothes.

Finally have some snow

Last edited by wkd-rdr; 02-22-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

nice horn
    watch out for snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5143.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	317327
    Got the fatty cause my meniscus is torn in a couple places and I’m about to get surgery. This thing has ended up being surprisingly fun!! I’m still amazed where I’m able to ride it!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I love my bike, but I got lucky as I didn’t really know what I wanted when I initially bought. What I’ve learned is I really only enjoy riding packed/groomed trails so giant balloon tires aren’t necessary, 27.5 x 4 is plenty big for me. In fact I’m currently riding a 27.5 x 3 studded Wrathchild and that’s plenty big... the other thing I learned is get a geo that’s fun to ride and matches your style, that doesn’t have to change for fat/winter riding, and buy something that you can have options with for year-round riding changing wheels out and tire sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Donkey View Post
    and buy something that you can have options with for year-round riding changing wheels out and tire sizes.
    On this subject, how many people here are riding their fatties year round? I bought some 4 inch "summer" tires so I'm going to try it but I'm curious what others experiences are.

Also, who is using suspension on their bikes and is it worth it? I'd love to try a mastodon but the cost is not much less than my bike so I'm hesitant.

Never ride it in the summer...and won’t. The big tires SUCK on trails, IMO.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    On this subject, how many people here are riding their fatties year round? I bought some 4 inch "summer" tires so I'm going to try it but I'm curious what others experiences are.

Also, who is using suspension on their bikes and is it worth it? I'd love to try a mastodon but the cost is not much less than my bike so I'm hesitant.

I got my fatty with a Bluto with the intention of riding it occasionally as a trail bike but I rarely take it on dirt. It’s definitely slow, sluggish and has funky handing on firm dirt. Next year I’ll probably throw studs and a carbon fork on it and make it a dedicated winter rig.

As for the fork, having suspension isn’t necessary, especially if its being ridden on snow. If you’re just rolling groomed snow, saving a couple pounds with a carbon fork is worth it.

I barely rife my 650b stumpy, its fatty for me.
    watch out for snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5184.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	318576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5188.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	318577
    Ya, I can’t see riding this thing in the summer. Riding the fatty is pretty unique, doesn’t really feel like mountain biking except for the climbs where your heart is red lined much the same as a nice long technical climb on dirt.

I'm fat year round Waddayya mean it's not like "regular" mt biking? Whatever. It's fun, makes me laugh like a little kid. I haven't ridden mine in a while though, still working around this heart problem and spending all of my ride time on a hardtail plus e-mtb and lovin' it but, if the fatty is going to be an all year rig you need a good fork on it. You have to damp the bounce so you can take advantage of all the traction available. Yup this sounds like the same thing you heard in 1994 because some things can't change Get a Wren fork not the others, if you want 10% off hit me up for a code. If you're only riding smooth(ish) groomers and beach then rigid is better. I'm still going to vote for 4.6 or bigger just because I'm that contrarian guy... Actually I like that the wider tires give me more line options and let me be lazier but snow (and sand) float is a thing and you don't want to rut up those groomers.

Where I'm mostly riding now doesn't groom anything but it gets packed down by foot traffic. A lot of times I find the post-holed nature of the trails to be quite jarring, especially on descents... I think a fork would really help with that. And would be fully necessary in summer (if I decide I like that).

I found this very detailed test/review on fat forks and if I buy one it will be the mastodon.

https://www.ridefatbikes.ca/fat-bike...edition#page-1

They continued the test into summer and came to the same conclusions...

https://www.ridefatbikes.ca/fat-bike...summer-edition

But like I said before, the fork is $1049 CDN and my bike (2020 Norco Bigfoot 3) was only $1299 CDN so it's tough to convince myself to shell out for it right now.