Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Whatever, they're nice wheels and I know you like nice stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Whatever, they're nice wheels and I know you like nice stuff...
    That's still about twice what I've spent on my most expensive wheelset to date!

Got a Hope hub/AM Classic 3834 rim setup coming. Meets the needs of this particular bike, my riding, and my budget quite nicely.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Starting a new job which is located almost a mile from my house. Figured a cheap fat bike might be a great winter commuter, any thoughts on why spending barely $500 on this from BikesDirect.com won't work fine? [other than the standard BikesDirect warnings/issues/etc] Thanks-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

That bike would work fine. The green one since red is not an option.

Decent looking rig Tye. The last thing I need right now is another bike. That said I will be writing a check to a friend to buy his used Salsa Fatty. You really never have too many bikes, just not enough time.

BTW, this new Job. Did you leave the old employer or just switch venues?

Downhill Fat Biking.

How come you guys only ride fatties in the winter?

I ride my fat tire bike 12 months of the year...never on the road or gravel track, only off-road.

Fatties are absolutely phenomenal for slow off-trail riding in ridiculously gnarly stuff like skidder tracks, etc. It's like riding a monster truck. No hopping over logs needed...you just ride over them like an escalator.

You guys are missing out on a lot of fun not riding your fatties in the summer. I can't even find this thread in the summer.

I don't understand hipsters that ride their fatties on the road, though...that is full-on retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    How come you guys only ride fatties in the winter?

I ride my fat tire bike 12 months of the year...never on the road or gravel track, only off-road.

Fatties are absolutely phenomenal for slow off-trail riding in ridiculously gnarly stuff like skidder tracks, etc. It's like riding a monster truck. No hopping over logs needed...you just ride over them like an escalator.

You guys are missing out on a lot of fun not riding your fatties in the summer. I can't even find this thread in the summer.

I don't understand hipsters that ride their fatties on the road, though...that is full-on retarded.
    Cool Story, Bro. We've all ridden our fat bikes in the summer. We're also smart enough to realize that there's the right tool for the right job. Sometimes suspension is fun too.

In other news, 1st weekend of the season on the fatbike. I forgot how much this shit is.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Cool Story, Bro. We've all ridden our fat bikes in the summer. We're also smart enough to realize that there's the right tool for the right job. Sometimes suspension is fun too.
    What wheels are you running on that?
    Fatties are betterer with suspension Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0726.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	216760

Maybe those hipsters riding on the road, only have one bike?
    Silly, I know.

I would have done this sooner.

Got a 27.5+ wheelset done up for the Wozo, and am selling off the "regular" hardtail. Thins the heard/gains valuable space in my tiny garage this way.

Hope hubs, AmClassic 3834 rim, Wheelsmith DB spokes and red alloy nips. Magic Mary 2.8 front/Nobby Nic 2.6 rear. Two wraps of tape, both aired up and stayed just fine for ~10mile rooty/rocky shakedown cruise yesterday.

Bike is roughly 2.5# lighter than with the fat wheels. While fun and decently fast that way, on non-sloppy/snow/ice days, it'll get ridden way more this way!

What wheels are you running on that?
    Fatties are betterer with suspension Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0726.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	216760
    They're Carbonspeeds 80mm.

As for suspension, meh. Not really necessary here and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    They're Carbonspeeds 80mm.

As for suspension, meh. Not really necessary here and I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Cool, I'll have to look into those. I like my 82mm Thumpers

Necessary? I guess not but smoother is nice on the old body.

Noob question - any fat bikes - 26, B, or 29 - that can accommodate regular 29" wheels? Looking for a swiss army knife i guess...

^^ Many of the ones that can handle 4.6 tires can BUT keep in mind that it will be a 170/177 or 190/197 hub so you won't just be able to take the wheels from your current 29er and put them on, you will need new wheels with the right hubs.

^^ Many of the ones that can handle 4.6 tires can BUT keep in mind that it will be a 170/177 or 190/197 hub so you won't just be able to take the wheels from your current 29er and put them on, you will need new wheels with the right hubs.
    Copy that. Thanks.

I really like what scrub has done, utilizing a single frame for fat and plus duty. The idea of a single hardtail frame and two wheelsets to handle a variety of conditions is pretty appealing.

I like my 82mm Thumpers
    Me too. Best thing I've done with the fatty is add the Thumpers.

Name:  IMG_6313.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  459.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Just pulled the trigger on last yrs '16 Beargrease. A guy bought it for his wife (she's tall as it's a large) and she didn't like fat bikes. Classic. Thing was barely ridden...It actually looks like it wasn't ridden more than twice. It was traded in for a hybrid

I'm looking forward to the 68.5 headtube angle. I was close to buying the new low end carbon 1x 650b one for 2k, but this ended up at $799 with flats included. I don't really need any of that other fluff riding snow, so I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Keeping with the theme of what would you do different?

I'd make sure to throw a -1-2* Works headset in the frame ASAP. I don't want the front end higher than it already is with that big-ass tire and 120mm Bluto, and don't need/want to run a taller/more travel fork (Mastodon) either. This gets the *slightly* slacker HTA I want without screwing with the rest!

Put a -1* set into my Wozo frame/Bluto 120mm combo, and is muy bueno!

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Keeping with the theme of what would you do different?
    Yeah, my main goal has been a more slack head tube angle. Since I “saved” money, I might swap out handlebars and the fork. The stock bars are pretty flat...not sure if I’m going to like those.

^^ #wrenfork

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, my main goal has been a more slack head tube angle. Since I “saved” money, I might swap out handlebars and the fork. The stock bars are pretty flat...not sure if I’m going to like those.
    Works headsets are a relatively inexpensive fix, certainly compared to a fork. Unless you want a taller suspension fork anyhow.

^^ #wrenfork
    I know you were addressing jackstraw, but I have read many...not good things about that fork.

The Bluto is basic damping, but at least it has damping that works. I'm not having any "flex" issues with it either. I ride it like my other forks on the local trails. IMO, people bitching about bad Bluto flex are more likely feeling their wheels/big ass low psi tires deforming and deflecting more than any flex issue from the fork.

If you want taller/more travel, the Mastodon seems to be the way to go, and is getting pretty damn good reviews.

I can't really diss the Bluto, heck I'm riding a Reba on my plus bike and it's been totally sufficient. Sure I'd like a little bit more plush but not enough to spend for it. You're welcome to ride my Wren sometime. We'll figure out a way to meet after New Years so you can feel it for yourself rather than listen to internet chatter. I like the adjustability, the damping is better than you've been lead to believe and it's really reliable in the cold especially with the new winter cartridge which I'll have soon, that's why I say we should meet after the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Works headsets are a relatively inexpensive fix, certainly compared to a fork. Unless you want a taller suspension fork anyhow.

Yeah, I don’t want a suspension fork. Just considering a lighter carbon possibly. With my snow riding I’ve yet to have the need for suspension and if I did I would just ride my HT in the + set up. I’m sure if I rode a fatty with suspension fork I’d like it though

Fun.
    Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 12-31-2017 at 11:15 AM.