Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1324
    Surfs up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05609149-253E-4925-B4D5-B96513610C57.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	597.9 KB 
ID:	364465

This is my first winter having a fat bike and I love it! I got this old school Surly Pugsly for $100. Steel frame, mech disc brakes. Super knobby in rear with almost bald in front. I can't believe the traction on climbs in the snow.

Finally got on this long DH at back the valley. Felt pretty good out there...

That was impressive, Bobo!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    This is my first winter having a fat bike and I love it! I got this old school Surly Pugsly for $100. Steel frame, mech disc brakes. Super knobby in rear with almost bald in front. I can't believe the traction on climbs in the snow.

Finally got on this long DH at back the valley. Felt pretty good out there...

Nice. That trail has been super fun this year.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

God help me but I'm thinking of getting a fat bike. I've normally xc skied in the winter for my quick hit exercise, but coming to grips with the fact that Central NH snowpack is pretty icy, and I'm not sure about groomed xc skiing. Thoughts on this bike?
    https://wyattbikes.com/shop/bikes/fat-bikes/maverick/
    Available in a reasonable time frame, relatively modern geo for a fat bike. Other options are to pay half that price for a 9+ year old used bike or see if the LBS can get me a Surly, Salsa or Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    God help me but I'm thinking of getting a fat bike. I've normally xc skied in the winter for my quick hit exercise, but coming to grips with the fact that Central NH snowpack is pretty icy, and I'm not sure about groomed xc skiing. Thoughts on this bike?
    Available in a reasonable time frame, relatively modern geo for a fat bike. Other options are to pay half that price for a 9+ year old used bike or see if the LBS can get me a Surly, Salsa or Trek.
    That 4.8 tire looks very close to the seat tube... I'm a bit skeptical a 5.05 would fit in there. That stock tire looks like Jimbo Jim's and they don't have a very tall centre lug... if you go more aggressive and bigger you might be very tight.

Also those tires are good for summer riding but you'll want to get studded tires if you're riding on ice. Those will not be cheap so factor that in to your budget.

Edit... looks like maybe adjustable dropouts mean it would fit a 5.05?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 09-07-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

God help me but I'm thinking of getting a fat bike. I've normally xc skied in the winter for my quick hit exercise, but coming to grips with the fact that Central NH snowpack is pretty icy, and I'm not sure about groomed xc skiing.
    What type of trails do you have access?
    How hilly?
    Do you drive to them or ride?
    Any allow ebikes and does one interest you?

Wyatt bikes are great. I'd put that high on my list for the next fatty purchase especially if they offer an e- model.

Are you fat? Do you like it? What would you do different next time?

Name:	IMG_3211.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	384940

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	384941

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	384942

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	384943

I ended up ordering this e-fatty back in June and hopefully it shows up soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27464605489...8d4c%7Ciid%3A1

About 1/2 price of one of these.

https://electricboardingco.com/colle...-electric-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What type of trails do you have access?
    How hilly?
    Do you drive to them or ride?
    Any allow ebikes and does one interest you?
    My riding is mostly techy New England stuff, elevation change is usually around 200ft per mile gain/loss. Typical ride is a mile of pavement to the trail, unless I have my dog or am driving to another local network that's a bit further away. The dog is also what is keeping me from picking up skate skiing. Not really interested in an ebike, not because I think they are evil but want to keep it simple and cheap.

Are you fat? Do you like it? What would you do different next time?

I rode fatties exclusively for almost ten years and really enjoy them. But it’s just too hilly or too deep, here in Snowmass, to ride one everyday, all winter.
    The torque on an ebike gets you through the deep or steep, where you’d be HAB on the acoustic bike.
    I leave my Farley in town, where it’s flat and the only non-ebike single track exists. Even there, they just don’t get enough traffic, to keep them packed down.

Remarkably found a shop that had a medium and large 2021 Trek Farley 5 in their storage from a shipment they got in the spring after winter was over. Wife and I will be pedaling all winter this year. Just have to drive 4 hours out and 4 back to pick them up. Only fat bikes I could find within 200km. And every shop I talked to said maybe January for new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Remarkably found a shop that had a medium and large 2021 Trek Farley 5 in their storage from a shipment they got in the spring after winter was over. Wife and I will be pedaling all winter this year. Just have to drive 4 hours out and 4 back to pick them up. Only fat bikes I could find within 200km. And every shop I talked to said maybe January for new stock.
    Nice find. I've seen a few fat bikes pop on on kijiji lately but they are basically asking new price for a 2 to 3 year old bike with older tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Nice find. I've seen a few fat bikes pop on on kijiji lately but they are basically asking new price for a 2 to 3 year old bike with older tech.

Yeh, thought I might have to go that route. Glad that if I am going to be paying new price, it’s for a new bike.

Holy shit, I thought MTB tires were stupid expensive, fat bike tires, especially once you stud them are a whole nother level.

Holy shit, I thought MTB tires were stupid expensive, fat bike tires, especially once you stud them are a whole nother level.
    Yup... $300 CDN plus per tire for studded.

If the tires on your bike are studable you can do it yourself for a lot less but it is a physically demanding and time consuming job. I split it up over 2 days for each tire and my hands and wrists were very sore afterwards.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 09-16-2021 at 09:34 PM.

True, but I've had my Surly Bud and Lou for at least the last 5 years. If you're not riding on pavement, they'll last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Yup... $300 CDN plus per tire for studded.

If the tires on your bike are studable you can do it yourself for a lot less but it is a physically demanding and time consuming job. I split it up over 2 days for each tire and my hands and wrists were very sore afterwards.

Yep they are, 218 Per tire! Two bikes to do, going to be dragging this out…..

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    True, but I've had my Surly Bud and Lou for at least the last 5 years. If you're not riding on pavement, they'll last forever.
    Yeh, I’ve read that, these will be strictly winter bikes, if there isn’t snow, we’ll ride our regular bikes, so one time pain and cost to stud then hopefully years of service.

I need some suggestions for affordable fat biking pants. I went a little *too* affordable with some of those "4UCycling" pants off amazon. They fit fine if I am not moving, but something about the cut means they end up riding up at the ankles and won't either stay tucked into snow boots or stretched over the cuffs. No bueno. I should've trusted my "these seem kind of wonky" instinct when I first got them, but whatever, they're okay for walking the dog in the morning.
    Looking for a similar wind-resistant fleece pant with a slim cut. I prefer a stretchy sweatpant style waist cause I don't like dealing with belts, but something with adjusters would be fine if simple. I know nordic pants are a popular option but 1) there's a lot of versions out there and 2)surprise, a lot of things are out of stock and may continue to be that way through the winter.
    Hand pockets are a plus so they can be used for other general winter activities, but don't need or want cargo pockets since I find those can make things start to fit funny. Also, affordable in this case means can be had for under $100 (whether through sales, web shops with coupons, bro deals, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I need some suggestions for affordable fat biking pants. I went a little *too* affordable with some of those "4UCycling" pants off amazon. They fit fine if I am not moving, but something about the cut means they end up riding up at the ankles and won't either stay tucked into snow boots or stretched over the cuffs. No bueno. I should've trusted my "these seem kind of wonky" instinct when I first got them, but whatever, they're okay for walking the dog in the morning.
    Looking for a similar wind-resistant fleece pant with a slim cut. I prefer a stretchy sweatpant style waist cause I don't like dealing with belts, but something with adjusters would be fine if simple. I know nordic pants are a popular option but 1) there's a lot of versions out there and 2)surprise, a lot of things are out of stock and may continue to be that way through the winter.
    Hand pockets are a plus so they can be used for other general winter activities, but don't need or want cargo pockets since I find those can make things start to fit funny. Also, affordable in this case means can be had for under $100 (whether through sales, web shops with coupons, bro deals, etc).
    It is crazy how expensive pants are, but I finally broke down and bought the Dakine Thrillium. It was worth it. They're great. They're marketed as DH pants, but I just use them for cold/winter riding. They're not too hot, which I think could be an issue for me. Knee pads fit under nicely. It was worth the 150 I think I paid.

anybody ever run a snow dog ?

We got ours end of last season, I don't think anyone has ever run one, I might voly to be part of the trail crew
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There's some kinda fat bike trail groomer in Vernon. Makes some great trail. Needs help with a bit of sidehill digging occasionally.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anybody ever run a snow dog ?

We got ours end of last season, I don't think anyone has ever run one, I might voly to be part of the trail crew
    They had to give up using it on our trail system. Too much sidehill, they spent more time struggling to keep it upright than actually grooming.

I wish we had one here.
    I’m currently lobbying the local Nordic organizations to connect Snowmass to Aspen.
    We have the largest free Nordic System in the US and some of the Lycra crowd thinks it would bankrupt them to groom 4 miles of MUT for fatties.