Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    video from Coral Pink

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    video from Coral Pink

Nice, the stuff you video'd doesn't look too torn up. I need to get back over there.

Thanks I drove up around to the back.. Sand springs? It was a road but definitely 4wd. Aired down my truck tires as well a little. There were a few ohvs cruising in and out but mostly I had the place to myself . I'm sure it was windy the few days prior which definitely helps buff things out.

Just ordered two of these..
    http://veetireco.com/product/speedster-fattire/

Thinking it's time for some motogp style hwy carving

So one of the lines I'm repping now is Wren Sports. We have an inverted fork for fatties (and plus and 29er too with 100 and 110mm hub spacing) that I finally got on my bike today. Fukn thing kicks ass! What a game changing bike part. I had way too much fun today, just gonna have to go do it again tomorrow

If any of you New England guys want to take it for a spin I'll be back up there probably Tuesday (NH) and Wednesday (VT) next week. I'm going to try for an early morning ride down south in the morning and then a sunset ride in Littleton on Tuesday, Wednesday is open but thinking something up north in the am, won't be able to ride late because I have to get home.

Bumping from the depths...

It's been long enough now that there are much better tire options out there.. I'm still running surly nates as an all around tire but looking to get something bigger for snow and sand. Schwalbe jumbo jim looks pretty decent.... what is your big tire choice?
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I've been running the Ground Control 4.6's for 3 years but will most likely be going to the Jumbo Jims next.

Just ordered 2 off Merlincycles.com for $86 each.. we'll see how they do.

Brexit bringing the good deals to the UK sites!

Post up a review, after you get some time on them. I'll need some new rubber about the time the snow flies.
    Not sure a 4.8 will fit on the back of my 1st gen Farley.

I'm still mostly on Surly products, because I got a bunch for basically free.
    I bought my barely used Pug from a Trek engineer in Waterloo.
    Two sets of wheels and a pair of every tire on the market at the time.
    Reverse engineering at it's finest.

Things are getting good in the Wasatch...

^^^ Yeeesssss! ^^^^

I am finally getting my ICT up and running for the season. We should shred soon....or just go ride like normal and run into each other like normal...but it'd be cool to leave the parking lot at the same time, then we can properly ration the whiskey.

Question for Chubby Enthusiasts.....what are the collective's thoughts on 4.8 tires on 80mm rims? I need more meats, but I'm concerned about too round of a profile. Lots of soft snow riding around here. I'm shopping around for 100mm rim wheel sets if anybody is holding. 150/197 spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Just putting this here that I would appreciate any help getting a decent deal on a medium Surly ICT with or without the Bluto. New or used. TIA. Preferably in blue, but whatever.
    Gonna copy this...Looking for a Surly too but an XL (hard to find this size used online)

Torn between going for something spec'ed snappier like a Krampus or ECR for touring/light single track vs. full on fatty

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Road trip took me through Nevada a couple weeks ago and came across this dune area off hwy 95. such a fun day and trip in general.. fatbiking dunes wasnt the expressed purpose but I managed to ride at Sand Mtn in Nevada, Big Dune(seen here) also in Nevada and at Coral Pink Dunes in southern UT. I'll write up more on these later.

That looks insanely fun. Keep posting these so I can drool at work...

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Question for Chubby Enthusiasts.....what are the collective's thoughts on 4.8 tires on 80mm rims? I need more meats, but I'm concerned about too round of a profile. Lots of soft snow riding around here. I'm shopping around for 100mm rim wheel sets if anybody is holding. 150/197 spacing.
    One of my riding partners is running a Bud/Lou on 80mm. I'm on 100mm with the same tires. While his tire profile is a bit rounder, he only rarely spins out when I don't (we're both running about 4-5psi right now with the fresh snow). He also doesn't eat shit in the corners any more than I do. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    One of my riding partners is running a Bud/Lou on 80mm. I'm on 100mm with the same tires. While his tire profile is a bit rounder, he only rarely spins out when I don't (we're both running about 4-5psi right now with the fresh snow). He also doesn't eat shit in the corners any more than I do. Go for it.
    Excellent. Thank you.

I was close to pulling the trigger on Borealis 100mm wheel set for $299, but it looks like they only have XD drivers left. I think I'll get the bigger tires first and see how it goes. 1x conversion happening too - gonna get XT 11-46 cassette and Wolftooth 30t.

What's everyone riding for pedal - shoe combo? I'm still on flats with a light winter boot. It's not ideal. I 'think' my ideal set up would be clipless, winter boot, and studs. That's another item I haven't invested in...studs. But just those two items (shoes - tires) alone are in the $600 range. Hard to justify.

I love my Lake MXZ303s winter shoes with Shimano 959's. Really versatile shoe, 50f down to -5f. very water proof.
    I hate wet feet and these are the best shoe's I've tried and they last a long time.

http://dirtragmag.com/review-lake-mxz303-winter-boots/
    They also come with white lettering.

If I'm going to be out for a long time in sub zero, I change out to flats and Sorels.

I've been snow riding in Shimano XM9 boots. With a mid weight wool sock I haven't had any issues with warmth. Definitely had a few nights of single digits for 2 hours or so. They are very waterproof with a full goretex liner and a light insulation that wraps all the way around and under the insole, but they don't have a big cuff/gator so if you do step off into the deep stuff, it is possible to get some snow in the cuff.

With a little garage innovation it'd be possible to replace the hard plastic cleat-hole plug with something grippier so they'd work better on flat pedals, but I'm too lazy. Just been running them on SPDs.

^^^ Yeeesssss! ^^^^

I am finally getting my ICT up and running for the season. We should shred soon....or just go ride like normal and run into each other like normal...but it'd be cool to leave the parking lot at the same time, then we can properly ration the whiskey.
    This sounds like solid logic. Corner Canyon, LCC and AF Canyon have been tits this season. I can usually be found in one of those on the weekends. You have my number. I have the whiskey and bacon.

I'm still running the same Bud up front on an 80mm rim and a Ground Control on the rear, for clearance issues. I wouldn't bother with the larger rims. I don't think you'll notice a difference with the low pressures in the winter. I think I still have that Lou for you if you're still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    What's everyone riding for pedal - shoe combo? I'm still on flats with a light winter boot. It's not ideal. I 'think' my ideal set up would be clipless, winter boot, and studs. That's another item I haven't invested in...studs. But just those two items (shoes - tires) alone are in the $600 range. Hard to justify.
    I find that Crank Brothers tend to clear snow a little better than SPD's. My choice has been Shimano MW81's with some thick socks and a pair of leg warmers. I also find that when it comes to clipless cleats, the more insulation you can get between your foot and the cleat, the less snow will melt and freeze to the cleat. I cut 1/3 of the footbed out of an old pair of shoes and slipped that under the full footbed. It seems to help a bit. In regards to studs, I think it depends on where you ride. I've had a box that I've threatened to put in my tires for the past 3 years. Haven't felt it necessary yet.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vas...or-men~p~8890a

$75 after their 25% off coupon. Not SPD compatible so you have to run flats. I rode with these last weekend at -2F and my feet stayed perfectly warm with a thick sock (my fingers were another story).

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    This sounds like solid logic. Corner Canyon, LCC and AF Canyon have been tits this season. I can usually be found in one of those on the weekends. You have my number. I have the whiskey and bacon.

I'm still running the same Bud up front on an 80mm rim and a Ground Control on the rear, for clearance issues. I wouldn't bother with the larger rims. I don't think you'll notice a difference with the low pressures in the winter. I think I still have that Lou for you if you're still interested.

I find that Crank Brothers tend to clear snow a little better than SPD's. My choice has been Shimano MW81's with some thick socks and a pair of leg warmers. I also find that when it comes to clipless cleats, the more insulation you can get between your foot and the cleat, the less snow will melt and freeze to the cleat. I cut 1/3 of the footbed out of an old pair of shoes and slipped that under the full footbed. It seems to help a bit. In regards to studs, I think it depends on where you ride. I've had a box that I've threatened to put in my tires for the past 3 years. Haven't felt it necessary yet.
    Sorel's and the widest flat pedals I can find have always been my go-to winter combo...but it IS difficult to find wide enough pedals for my size 13 Sorels!!

I know a few people using these and they seem to be happy with them with bulky winter footwear http://pedalinginnovations.com/

Any experience out there with Thumper Carbon wheelsets? I just started repping these http://www.dirtcomponents.com/category-s/107.htm Wondering if anybody has any feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1483134487.418387.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	196095

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I know a few people using these and they seem to be happy with them with bulky winter footwear http://pedalinginnovations.com
    Seriously? Better power by pedaling with your arches instead of the balls of your feet? After reading the first page of their site, I would never use their pedals.
    Last edited by crashtestdummy; 12-31-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Sweet
    watch out for snakes