Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1323
    My friend had a snowdog. Our trails were too techy and too tight with trees for it to work, so he sold it.

Another network down the street where I've also built has one now. That area has some different trails that are little more open and less tech, but it's still tough. They ran a goFundme to raise funds for the snowdog and the local mtn bikers all pitched in to make it happen.

one guy hit bro's up on main street and scraped the $$$ together pretty quick far as I can tell

I'm trying to figure where they are gona run it cuz the rididng area is on a hillside
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think our local riding area uses a snowbike for single track that it can get around on, otherwise rely on enough traffic, or if it does snow heavier people just strap on snowshoes and do a loop. I imagine a snow dog is fine for flat riding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I think our local riding area uses a snowbike for single track that it can get around on, otherwise rely on enough traffic, or if it does snow heavier people just strap on snowshoes and do a loop. I imagine a snow dog is fine for flat riding areas.
    Yeah, we do a combo of snowshoes, Hok skis, and splitboards. Last year sucked. The snow didn't pack well and we'd get it 'ok' and it'd snow again. It was a losing battle to get singletrack dialed. We've discussed building fat bike trails for the snow dog, but that never happened.

Even here in a resort town, they just don’t get enough traffic, without grooming.

So, sold my trek Farley last year in the height of bike chaos at the end of the season for stupid money…. Kinda want another fatty. Not sure if you guys are familiar with this bike shortage but there is one….

Anyways…. Leads me to where I am. I have a line on a old specialized fat boy frame that I could most likely build with parts from the bin minus a rear wheel and a crankset. Reviews aren’t great and it is pretty dated geo wise but I see some people here had / have one and seemingly like it.

Thoughts? Might be the only option for the year other then trying to squeeze 2.8 on my Chromag which I don’t think will work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Thoughts? Might be the only option for the year other then trying to squeeze 2.8 on my Chromag which I don’t think will work.
    They are hard to find but I just put a set of studded Terrene Cake Eater 2.8s on my Stache. Mounted up with 41mm internal width rims they measure almost exactly 2.6. might fit on your Chromag.

All depends on what you're going for, though. I'm not expecting these to perform anything like my fat bike (that I also sold this year) in loose snow.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    They are hard to find but I just put a set of studded Terrene Cake Eater 2.8s on my Stache. Mounted up with 41mm internal width rims they measure almost exactly 2.6. might fit on your Chromag.

All depends on what you're going for, though. I'm not expecting these to perform anything like my fat bike (that I also sold this year) in loose snow.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Nice, I’ll look into those. Another thing I didn’t think of is that I’ll most likely need new rims for the Chromag…. Really pushes me towards the Fatbike frame.

Are you fat? Do you like it? What would you do different next time?

I have a Fatboy and love it. I'm not sure why but I just think it is a great cross country feel and I even like riding it on flowy dirt. I don't ride anything very technical with it but it is great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I have a Fatboy and love it. I'm not sure why but I just think it is a great cross country feel and I even like riding it on flowy dirt. I don't ride anything very technical with it but it is great for me.
    Thanks for the info! What size is yours and how do you find the fit?

Thanks for the info! What size is yours and how do you find the fit?

It's a Large and the fit is great- I think that's part of what I like about it. I'm 5'11, average inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Attachment 384940

Attachment 384941

Attachment 384942

Attachment 384943

I ended up ordering this e-fatty back in June and hopefully it shows up soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27464605489...8d4c%7Ciid%3A1

About 1/2 price of one of these.

https://electricboardingco.com/colle...-electric-bike
    The Chinese E-Shreddy showed up yesterday.
    A full five months later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	394867

Name:	IMG_0933.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	394868

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	394869

Fit and finish is only fair. Cable routing is poor.
    The Boafang has lots of power and pedals fairly well.
    The dropper sucks and not thrilled with the Kenda Juggernauts. But both of those can be replaced.
    I should have gotten the 16” instead of 18” and I would prefer a little slacker geo.

But the thing rips. 700 meters of climbing and about 40km shakedown ride today.

Pulled the trigger on that fatboy frame. Also lucked out and found a cheap pair of wheels locally. The only issue is the hub ( Specialzied Stout XC90) seems to be missing an end cap on the non drive side. Are these fairly universal? Or specific to the hub because I’m sure spesh doesn’t take these hubs anymore ( and I’ve heard are shit) but will get me out ridding quicker.

So, sold my trek Farley last year in the height of bike chaos at the end of the season for stupid money…. Kinda want another fatty. Not sure if you guys are familiar with this bike shortage but there is one….

Anyways…. Leads me to where I am. I have a line on a old specialized fat boy frame that I could most likely build with parts from the bin minus a rear wheel and a crankset. Reviews aren’t great and it is pretty dated geo wise but I see some people here had / have one and seemingly like it.

This might be heresy ... but if you're running 4.5-5" tires at low pressures on snow, does the frame really matter that much? It's not exactly a high performance set up. Which is not to say that I don't think it's pretty damn fun.

The Chinese E-Shreddy showed up yesterday.
    A full five months later.

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	394867

Name:	IMG_0933.jpg 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	394868

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	394869

Fit and finish is only fair. Cable routing is poor.
    The Boafang has lots of power and pedals fairly well.
    The dropper sucks and not thrilled with the Kenda Juggernauts. But both of those can be replaced.
    I should have gotten the 16” instead of 18” and I would prefer a little slacker geo.

But the thing rips. 700 meters of climbing and about 40km shakedown ride today.
    Looks bad ass! I want one.Seeing lots of really nice "cheeb" builds. Ez enough to throw in an angleset and swap tires. How's that fork? Is it an m500 or 600 bafeng?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    This might be heresy ... but if you're running 4.5-5" tires at low pressures on snow, does the frame really matter that much? It's not exactly a high performance set up. Which is not to say that I don't think it's pretty damn fun.
    Yes, I do agree with that which is why I bought it today. At least for what I do this is no high performance machine. Basically just a snow cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Looks bad ass! I want one.Seeing lots of really nice "cheeb" builds. Ez enough to throw in an angleset and swap tires. How's that fork? Is it an m500 or 600 bafeng?
    ]
    The fork seems to work. I’ve only ridden snowpacked roads and snowmobile trails so far.
    I got the E to help try and keep some single track open throughout the winter.

It’s an M620. I’d rather have a CX4 or an EP8, but I haven’t seen any fatties equipped with the newest gen motors yet.

The fork seems to work. I’ve only ridden snowpacked roads and snowmobile trails so far.
    I got the E to help try and keep some single track open throughout the winter.

It’s an M620. I’d rather have a CX4 or an EP8, but I haven’t seen any fatties equipped with the newest gen motors yet.
    The 620 sounds like a great motor that most are trying to get with those bikes now. Im riding snow covered slick rooty east coast trails now on my decoy. The fat tires are the one missing thing atm. Do you have a link? I think ive seen a couple builds ariund the 3200usd mark. The dengfu accepted 2 different shock lengths and stroke. One had 140 or 170 rear. Sounds like a great option with the drive systems relatively ez to purchase replacements if needed and i dont think ive heard of many , if any, failures

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Finally ponied up for a fat bike, surly pugsley. Been searching the classifieds for a few weeks now. Tough finding a medium at what I thought was reasonable. Came with extra studded 45nrth tires and was converted to 1x9. Been out a few times. Definitely fun but slow. Wanted something to play on when snow is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Finally ponied up for a fat bike, surly pugsley. Been searching the classifieds for a few weeks now. Tough finding a medium at what I thought was reasonable. Came with extra studded 45nrth tires and was converted to 1x9. Been out a few times. Definitely fun but slow. Wanted something to play on when snow is poor.
    Nice! extra studded tires is a good amount of $$$ so that's a decent score for sure.

For sure. Retail on tires was half the bikes cost. Both are Dillinger 5 Said rims were set up to run tubeless. Was surprised the Dillinger 5 fits the pugsley although I read tire runs low. Going to try ounce snow hits. If I need to buy another studded rear I can. Any hints on how to minimize width of the rear tire beyond making sure to keep pressure in it. Does have the margelite rims saw pictures of some that don’t. Always wanted to try a surly. This one is well cared for and complete in sub $1,000 Haven’t shopped for a while but looked at a lot of used and Framed Minnesota new. Not the discounts like there used to be. I see pictures of folks with insulated water bottles on their forks, but don’t know why I would want to make the front any more sluggish.

For sure. Retail on tires was half the bikes cost. Both are Dillinger 5 Said rims were set up to run tubeless. Was surprised the Dillinger 5 fits the pugsley although I read tire runs low. Going to try ounce snow hits. If I need to buy another studded rear I can. Any hints on how to minimize width of the rear tire beyond making sure to keep pressure in it. Does have the margelite rims saw pictures of some that don’t. Always wanted to try a surly. This one is well cared for and complete in sub $1,000 Haven’t shopped for a while but looked at a lot of used and Framed Minnesota new. Not the discounts like there used to be. I see pictures of folks with insulated water bottles on their forks, but don’t know why I would want to make the front any more sluggish.
    Under 1k is a smoking deal, at least in my market so good score.

I've found fatbiking to be a completely different ride than regular mtn biking. Its just a way to get outside and have a good time in the snow. It's much slower (well not always) and typically shorter (not always ) People that ride groomed buff stuff it's actually faster than dirt because all the rocks, roots, and undulations are smoothed over. Anyway, we ride techy single track at a slower pace and are often breaking trail, so it's just slower and chill, yet ass kicking physically. The other beauty is packing a couple beers, build a little fire, and chill in the woods for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I've found fatbiking to be a completely different ride than regular mtn biking. Its just a way to get outside and have a good time in the snow. It's much slower (well not always) and typically shorter (not always ) People that ride groomed buff stuff it's actually faster than dirt because all the rocks, roots, and undulations are smoothed over. Anyway, we ride techy single track at a slower pace and are often breaking trail, so it's just slower and chill, yet ass kicking physically. The other beauty is packing a couple beers, build a little fire, and chill in the woods for a bit.
    So much this.

Nothing better then packing a little camp stove as well, cooking up some eats, a beer or whisky. Just relaxing and breathing in fresh air

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Hell yes. Lately, I've been taking my fat bike out with a PBR and some green. Roll a few miles, chill out with a beer, pack a bowl and enjoy the cold air.

Mountain biking is really enjoyable when its fast and at the limits. Fat biking on groomed snow isn't usually fast so why bother, just grind along and enjoy the ride.