Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I find that I prefer sand riding, it's almost always rideable. Snow, especially not machine packed, is anybody's guess.

Is that the Spiral Getty? If it is, it's much higher than I've ever seen it.
    Yeah that's the Jetty - super cool out there.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Sometimes I don't get it

Fatbikes are the hot topic for the last 6 months or so and we (my shop) have invested in them and we are currently stocking three different bikes. Properly displayed and all but they just sit there looking pretty and not selling. I understand that NYC isn't exactly the hot market for this category but I've been pushing them on a larger scale and ... nothing. Tell me if you're looking for one and if we have it I'll figure out how to get it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Sometimes I don't get it

Fatbikes are the hot topic for the last 6 months or so and we (my shop) have invested in them and we are currently stocking three different bikes. Properly displayed and all but they just sit there looking pretty and not selling. I understand that NYC isn't exactly the hot market for this category but I've been pushing them on a larger scale and ... nothing. Tell me if you're looking for one and if we have it I'll figure out how to get it to you.
    What are you carrying?

We have a Moonlander, two Farleys and a Fatboy with more Fatboys on the way.

I'll help spread the word, GL.
    I kinda guessed retailers this year would end up with a little overstock.
    So much new product hit the market...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This is a funny category in that nobody actually needs one for any really good reason. It is strictly an emotional purchase and a bike at ~ $2k takes some serious emotion for the majority of people. I get it but was hoping for a different outcome this go 'round based on general chatter both locally and globally. I know that I am having so much fun riding the one I picked up it's amazing, it's the same kind of fun that the original mt bikes were but better. I just don't seem to be able to convey that feeling sufficiently.

Who's having success moving fatties and what are you doing to foster it? Is it location or ...

They are selling fairly well here...but there is a 'glut' of sorts of OG pugsly's, etc, going for around $500-$800' fully decked out with pimpy stuff.
    So it's a curious market.
    But, yeah, location...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

they are so fun and more capable than a non-fat bike. I haven't sold any yet either and have a coupla konas in stock and can special order the charge cooker maxi (what I ride). the fatbike is my only mtb as I sold my 29er 2 weeks after I got the fatty. rode 29ers for 11 years. no more

rog

Hey, you're still riding a 29er but it has a much wider footprint

Hey, you're still riding a 29er but it has a much wider footprint
    nonsense, it's a 30er

rog

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    They are selling fairly well here...but there is a 'glut' of sorts of OG pugsly's, etc, going for around $500-$800' fully decked out with pimpy stuff.
    So it's a curious market.
    But, yeah, location...
    There's the rub - people who've been on 'em for a while are selling those old OG bikes cheaply, to finance the new stuff. Then going and building up something custom-ish based around a particular frame.

The curious are buying the cheap used bikes off these guys, or the low priced completes.

Which leaves those mid-priced in-store completes in some sort of limbo.

I spent a touch over a grand on my On-One rolling chassis and an X.9 fat crank, then sold my old hardtail rolling chassis, and swapped on a bunch of parts. Saved me a bundle, and have a kick ass fun to ride and well specc'ed Fatty for way less than what I'd have gotten for the same amount of cash otherwise.

They are super fun, but they are niche bikes - many dudes who already have other bikes and overflowing parts bins are going to do what I did. I've had more dirt than snow time on mine, and it's a giggle machine. Just plain damn fun to ride. Not a super fast group ride or huck-fest ride machine, but pretty big amounts of stupid fun otherwise. Greater capability on snow and ice is just a bonus for me.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Anybody know the weight on that 2600 spec fatboy?

So far it seems (at least in this thread, I'm not going to read anything else), 26-27lbs is the going awesomeness.

And yes the skiing is so good in Tahoe I'm now interested in full retard.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 01-13-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Fatbike.com had a guy build up a carbon fatty to 28ish lbs so a few less sounds possible. Still checking out the carbon fat wheels.
    watch out for snakes

scottyb - did you ever finish up the Girvin/Noleen fat fork project? IIRC, that was you I sold it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I know a VERY fast guy with a VERY expensive 22lb fatbike. he's racing iditabike on it. he'll prolly win.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    There's the rub - people who've been on 'em for a while are selling those old OG bikes cheaply, to finance the new stuff. Then going and building up something custom-ish based around a particular frame.

The curious are buying the cheap used bikes off these guys, or the low priced completes.

Which leaves those mid-priced in-store completes in some sort of limbo.

I spent a touch over a grand on my On-One rolling chassis and an X.9 fat crank, then sold my old hardtail rolling chassis, and swapped on a bunch of parts. Saved me a bundle, and have a kick ass fun to ride and well specc'ed Fatty for way less than what I'd have gotten for the same amount of cash otherwise.

They are super fun, but they are niche bikes - many dudes who already have other bikes and overflowing parts bins are going to do what I did. I've had more dirt than snow time on mine, and it's a giggle machine. Just plain damn fun to ride. Not a super fast group ride or huck-fest ride machine, but pretty big amounts of stupid fun otherwise. Greater capability on snow and ice is just a bonus for me.
    I was thinking something along those lines too. I think the BD Moto's and a few of the other price point pieces ate up what would have been a fair chunk of the mid price bike shop bikes too. Eh, bad timing and oversupply is a hallmark of the bike industry, don't know why I was surprised

Yeah it's trail fun for me too, snow is such a minor part of it that it doesn't really count. Beach riding though is high on my list. There are a lot of places I want to check out around Long Island and New England that I'm too fat and lazy to walk to but will happily pedal me and a couple of beers to. That "vision" is why there are going to end up being four fatties in my basement, the wife and kidz want to share my vision

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Anybody know the weight on that 2600 spec fatboy?

So far it seems (at least in this thread, I'm not going to read anything else), 26-27lbs is the going awesomeness.

Med should be 30.?>31.2. Apparently S has chosen to use the heaviest tubes in the fatbike world though so changing them out to Q Lites knocks off a pound and a half to two pounds right away for just a couple $$. There's a couple of other pieces I bet you have lighter bits to swap out to like brakes and such so yeah 27 should be able to happen without too much effort. If you want to spend a few $$ those Hed carbon rims are pretty sharp and should drop 3/4 of a pound per wheel.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 01-14-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    scottyb - did you ever finish up the Girvin/Noleen fat fork project? IIRC, that was you I sold it to.
    Yep that was me.

Ran into too many snags. Still have all the parts but since I do not weld Al and proper heat treatment is essential for such a critical part I had to give up.

Now there is a Caver suspension fork available for $900.
    watch out for snakes

Med should be 30.?>31.2. Apparently S has chosen to use the heaviest tubes in the fatbike world though so changing them out to Q Lites knocks off a pound and a half to two pounds right away for just a couple $$. There's a couple of other pieces I bet you have lighter bits to swap out to like brakes and such so yeah 27 should be able to happen without too much effort. If you want to spend a few $$ those Hed carbon rims are pretty sharp and should drop 3/4 of a pound per wheel.
    Cool thanks!

I saw one of these in a shop in boulder city last week and was pretty impressed with how little the rotational weight of the wheels is. I just spun the front wheel and hit the brake and it didn't knock me over.

The brakes are one of the few things I'd definitely keep though. One of those (maybe lighter tubes like you say) with a dropper post and an 11 speed setup might make living in Tahoe in the winter bearable. I sure as shlt ain't going skiing.

I think I could handle 30lbs for sure. I've had heavier dirtjumpers.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Haha! I read that last line quickly and saw "I've had heavier dumps" and I thought well, that's certainly cheaper than lightweight bike parts

Nah, low 20s max.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Yep that was me.

Ran into too many snags. Still have all the parts but since I do not weld Al and proper heat treatment is essential for such a critical part I had to give up.
    Couldn't it be done with steel for the parts that need to be wider? (the horizontal parts) Or do the aluminum legs on the fork also need to be modified, in order to clear the fat wheel/tire?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Couldn't it be done with steel for the parts that need to be wider? (the horizontal parts) Or do the aluminum legs on the fork also need to be modified, in order to clear the fat wheel/tire?
    Not only do the legs need to be longer there has to be disc tabs and an upgrade dropout to a modern standard. The easy part was making it wide enough as its bolted construction helped with that aspect. Using steel would have increased the weight significantly. Carbon tubes would have been the answer but the drops and disc tab was still a problem. I could have hacked apart my Mavrick SC32 just to use the drops and disc tab but it made more sense to sell it outright with the hub to someone who would use it.

In the end everyone I had lined up to help back out in one way or another. I was just trying to push cooked spaghetti.
    watch out for snakes

carbofats for the cost of a good used car
    http://fatbikes.com/907-whiteout-bike-nome.html
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

Getting close on pulling the trigger on a fatty, this one with an x.9 build is coming in at around 27 1/2 pounds, 25ish with the 11 speed build, and 22 with carbon rims.

http://www.borealisbikes.com/bikes/complete-x9/

thanks for the heads up on the Q-tubes!
    could be a placebo effect, but seriously, the wheels spool up way faster now.
    great mixed ride today, snow, ice, dirt , water, mud...
    all good!
    from today in Walpole, NH.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11970757746_fe064c21bb_z.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	148539  
    crab in my shoe mouth