Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    What I enjoy about them is the smooooove ride. Those fat tires are like riding on pillows. While skate skiing up the Susitna I ran into a guy with studded tires. Has anyone done this?
    I rode Nokian Extremes studded snows on my 26" bike. The silicon carbide studs are far superior to steel wood screws that most homemade tire use. I mostly ride the fatty now and it's better on everything but pure ice.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    anyone doing any climbing on these? say in the 1,500 to 2K foot ballpark? if so, how much slower are you? is it miserable?
    Yes.

Seriously: fatbikes are slow all around. It takes me nearly twice as long to get anywhere (an exaggeration, but not by much) so I don't feel the need to ride mine unless I can't ride my regular MTB. This probably gets a bit easier if you have an expensive bike that's lighter and has drilled rims (unlike mine) or a rear tire that rolls faster.

That being said, you can blast right through this early-season "too much snow to ride, not enough to ski". And yes, they're fine on the road for anything but black ice. It's slow, but I can get to and from the store/post office without too much trouble.

I almost sold mine, but now that it's shoulder season I'm starting to ride it again.

Support on the chubbie chasing. I ride a lot with dog en tow and the fattie opens up quite a bit of terrain for exploration purposes.

I got a screamer deal on a pugs, built up as a 2x7 with drop bars, skeptical @ first, but I've grown to love all the different hand positions (not an innuendo).

I really dig the steel feel, but tried my buddy's fatback and... I fear I may be paying that pugsley deal forward to harness the magic on that ak aluminum beauty. I like the reistance to rust idea as well as the ability to run 29ers with some slight adaptation.

As far as componentry goes... I don't geek out over that shit. I dig the simple fun ride and ability to go to and fro on the daily with a fattie between my legs.

Get u some
    Cheers

I went and did it, brought home a Farley last night I have a plan too, it's just a touch small for me but my wife is 4" shorter than I am so (hopefully) she loves it and then I can get a Fatboy in a few weeks when they come available

I'll get some pics up later after I get a chance to dirty it up some.

Heheheheh

Makes "the same old trail" a giggly good time

Climbs like a mt goat too!
    Last edited by gravitylover; 11-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.

As fat as I can get

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	144932
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	144931  

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    That being said, you can blast right through this early-season "too much snow to ride, not enough to ski". And yes, they're fine on the road for anything but black ice. I
    This will fix 'ya right up.

I just built up a Borealis Yampa. Blister reeled me back in with a chance to review one, and i pulled it out of the box 2 hrs ago. This thing is mental. I opted for 65mm Marge Lite rims and Dillingers, because my angle is more about riding fat on dirt, but it's still gonna see some snow. 26lbs with pedals. Crazy.

Those things are siiick.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I just built up a Borealis Yampa. Blister reeled me back in with a chance to review one, and i pulled it out of the box 2 hrs ago. This thing is mental. I opted for 65mm Marge Lite rims and Dillingers, because my angle is more about riding fat on dirt, but it's still gonna see some snow. 26lbs with pedals. Crazy.
    My take as well, though the snow benefits will be good as well. Not as fast as the other bikes, not the same for droppy/jumpy stuff, but way more poppy and faster than I'd anticipated. Not going to be taking it on fast group rides or drop fest rides, but otherwise...

The main thing: it's just been stupid amounts of fun on trail, and particularly slow speed trialsy rock crawling.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I wish I had enough time to go ride some weird shit in the desert. That's what really fires me up about fat bikes. Riding them in places my other bikes can't go, but I sure as hell won't hike...because walking is for jerks.

i'd echo that they're slow

but TWICE as slow? spats you crazy

my friends ride at a pretty quick pace (some ex pros in the group...so fast but more beer drinky than trainy pace)

and i can still hang on the fatty. im maybe a little off the back on the climbs and just about even on the dh

slow, but not prohibitively so...

Review wanted ASAP!
    watch out for snakes

I wish I had enough time to go ride some weird shit in the desert. That's what really fires me up about fat bikes. Riding them in places my other bikes can't go, but I sure as hell won't hike...because walking is for jerks.
    It's amazing.

I would think for serious desert crawling setting up tubeless would be mandatory, right?
    Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This will fix 'ya right up.
    I didn't know anyone was making studded fats yet. $175 kinda salty, but I'm sure I'll end up getting a pair.

First time I ever saw one was a few years ago - some dude making his way down Porc on one. Wasn't as fast on the absolute chunky stuff, but was able to just go take whatever damn line on/up/down rocks he wanted, blooping up into the air off stuff, plowing through sandy sections like nothing.

Had a super sized grin on his face the entire time I saw him.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I would think for serious desert crawling setting up tubeless would be mandatory, right?
    Where is that?
    Tubeless would probably have helped, but I was running Surly fat tubes with 4 to 5 psi. The riding was good on the wind packed sand, but difficult where the motorized had been (which was almost everywhere). Slightly damp sand would have been a tremendous help.

It was Sand Mountain, just south of Sand Hollow reservoir in SW Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I didn't know anyone was making studded fats yet. $175 kinda salty, but I'm sure I'll end up getting a pair.
    Bud n Lou list for $170 apiece.

Yeah fat rubber is kinda pricey right now. We'll see what happens though as more tire manufacturers get on the fat train. Vee is adding models pretty quickly now and I'm sure a couple of the big boys are looking at it. I know that T will have something soon too and they're looking at 120-180tpi, so light and "racey" which is a good thing and S will have the GC 4.6 available in the spring with more models to come by next winter. This segment will get carved up pretty quickly so there will be a bunch of subcategories just like the rest of the industry, fractured and sorta broken We'll have beach, cruiser/bike path/city, trail, race and backcountry/snow (or something similar) so we should have a fair variety of tread and build quality/casing integrity/weight options soon enough.

When I'm riding this thing I don't think of speed or any of that. I'm more focused on what I can do to create another chuckle and it just keeps delivering. I think I probably ride just as fast as on my other bikes (other than downhill) but I'm a slug so take it for what it's worth. I know I am actually climbing better, not necessarily faster but better, because the traction is phenomenal and like scrubby said the low speed stuff is easier and more fun so I search it out more and the trail isn't as important as finding cool lines to ride. This leads to what flow said, the exploration capacities and new options are something I'm truly looking forward to also. I don't know about walking being for jerks but I do like the thought that I can ride one of these bikes into what was previously foot only territory and leave little to no trace.

I've never had to buy a fat tire. I bought my pug off a guy that worked for Trek in Waterloo about three years ago. Almost brand spanking new bike with two sets of rims and six pairs of tires.
    Just about every tire they offered at the time.

does anyone know if a Surly Bud will fit on a Rolling Darryl Rim with a Salsa Enabler Fork?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    does anyone know if a Surly Bud will fit on a Rolling Darryl Rim with a Salsa Enabler Fork?
    Not sure but I just fit that combo in my Beargrease fork, might have to add air after it gets past the caliper

newly FAT!
    first ride today, mind blown.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Its just the start, happy trails!
    watch out for snakes