Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1324
    Fat bike saved my mind last winter when I was a gimp. Liked it enough I’ll probably ride it this winter when time is short. Good purchase XXX-er, you’ll be as stoked as one can possibly be when not skiing. Pretty damn fun!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Fat bike saved my mind last winter when I was a gimp. Liked it enough I’ll probably ride it this winter when time is short. Good purchase XXX-er, you’ll be as stoked as one can possibly be when not skiing. Pretty damn fun!

Fat bikes have saved my mind just being an ec'er living 2hrs from a decent hill.

I bought a second set of tires and a cheap front suspension and rode mine on the trails this summer. Not used to a hard tail and it's heavy on the up but I had fun... and holy shit it climbs well if you have the legs for it... traction for days!

I also think it's the best possible bike for shitty forest service roads. I felt uncomfortable on my XC full suspension on the same roads as larger rocks deflected me around a lot... not with the fat bike.

I sold my (albeit old) full suspension trail bike and now I just have the fat bike for everything rough and my hybrid bike for the city.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

A buddy built up a 20 lb carbon fibre fatty worth 7K and it could climb hills no body else could climb on a normal bikencuz of all the extra traction
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This will be my first winter with no fatty in the last six, going to bushwhack XC ski a bit more now that my riding pup is getting older.

My FS bike is waiting for parts. So I took the fatty up the bike park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	342139

anybody using studs ? Apparently these tires are studdable and its a good idea to do at least the front?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anybody using studs ? Apparently these tires are studdable and its a good idea to do at least the front?
    I've had a set on hand for years, but never installed them. Only seem to need them once or twice a year. Not worth it for me here in UT.

how many would you have used ? there will probably be snow or ice on the ground for 5 months

We finally got around to buying studded tires for our fatbikes. It’s an investment when you have two in the garage.

Our trails see a lot of use through the winter from hikers, dog walkers, and fatbikers. Freeze/thaw cycles turn that compacted snow into boilerplate ice. Without studs it means you don’t ride until there’s another snowfall big enough to cover the ice. I wanted to be able to ride more this winter.

I had been eyeing the Terrene Johnny5 tires, but they’re in short supply for a while. My LBS cut us a deal on two pairs of 45NRTH Wrathchilds. They’re a little narrower than the J5s, but I realized that on days I really need the additional float I’d have more fun on touring skis.

how many would you have used ? there will probably be snow or ice on the ground for 5 months
    I bought a pack of 150 and had planned on splitting them with the front laid out for lateral traction and the rear for propulsion.

Anyone on here do the Fat Pursuit out of Island Park?

I don't like cold camping enough to commit to the long version. But, I think the short version is 38 miles this year. January 9th

FatPursuit.com

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074N4V12J/...g=icebike0f-20

I figured see how the prestudded tires come for an idea ? so this ^^ studded fatty has 152 per tire

the schwalbe studs are carbide tipped cost 24$ for 50, buddy didnt have a recommendation but he said you want more in the front and at very least 100 per tire

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Anyone on here do the Fat Pursuit out of Island Park?

I don't like cold camping enough to commit to the long version. But, I think the short version is 38 miles this year. January 9th

FatPursuit.com

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I have 2 friends who did the big one last year. They both finished, on opposite ends of the bell curve.

I run studs because the trails I ride get a viscous thaw/freeze cycle with some sun exposure. Blue ice city. It gives confidence that a broken arm or hip isn't as likely in the sketch.

Just bought a Kona WoFat. Hoping to mostly just ride it on the local groomed trail network this winter, but finding it's a lot of fun on smoothish surfaces that a traditional MTB bike isn't great on, like loose gravel, sand, etc. Now thinking about going for rides on the frozen lake shore when the water is lowered down and a whole host of other rides that otherwise wouldn't be considered. Fun toy to add to the quiver.

N+1

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Just bought a Kona WoFat. Hoping to mostly just ride it on the local groomed trail network this winter, but finding it's a lot of fun on smoothish surfaces that a traditional MTB bike isn't great on, like loose gravel, sand, etc. Now thinking about going for rides on the frozen lake shore when the water is lowered down and a whole host of other rides that otherwise wouldn't be considered. Fun toy to add to the quiver.

N+1

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have a Wo and the fat tires really excel in situations like that one. They also do pretty darn well in loose/wet sand also. Super capable.

It depends on where you live.

It’s not that icy here and I wouldn’t do it unless you have two sets of wheels.

Depends on the terrain. We're in a shitty situation here. Studs suck on granite tech that doesn't hold the snow as long, so your studs end up "ice skating" on granite. Then typically the flatter sections turn to ice so the studs are super helpful there. I've ended up running studs on the front and rubber on the back most of the time. Ideally, two sets of wheels would be ideal depending on conditions and terrain.

gona ask the locals

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    RST Renegade works in the cold. Helps the post holes and on firmer stuff you can bump front tire PSI up a bit to kill self-steer /knock down the bouncing ball higher psi tire thing. I actually use the remote because I run it a bit softer for slow-motion fatbiking. Crank the compression for the DH so I do not pack it down as much, in an attempt to keep the old school geo from becoming super steep.

Two winters in and it is starting to crap out, I have not found much info on service or parts. If anyone finds something, pass it on.
    First ride on the renegade in the cold (-10c) today and I felt like the rebound was slower than when warm... even all the way open.

I also feel like this fork has a small sweet spot for how I like the performance and that seems to be affected by temperature... in the cold I ended up with lower pressure and the sag changed.

It's not a bad fork but I don't think it's great.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I ride studs in the North Okanagan. When you hit the iced up drip line you don't crash every time. They're great on hard compact trails. They suck on rock so I avoid those trails with a lot of southern exposure rock.

After checking around I decided not to bother with the studs, 2-3 " of fairly wet snow today and the traction was incredible, just motor over everthing but Post ACL redo the PT was not impressed I was biking already

I got the GF a set of schwalbe icespiker pro's for her mtn bike, she finds the traction very impressive, i told her there were more studs than a singles bar ...highly recommended

I go back and forth on studs. We definitely get some ice due to freeze/thaw but studded tires don’t seem like a great idea when I want to ride my fatty on dirt. Also not interested in the hassle of swapping tires for winter and summer.

Side note - adding a dropper post and upgraded brakes has made my fat bike into a much more capable trail bike. Definitely worthy upgrades.