Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1323
    hmmm i was debating looking for a used Bluto to add this winter but now you guys have me thinking about this cheap carbon option....

This is the best deal I have found, just ordered one for $139. Might even leave the Ellsworth decals on for comedic effect. Or some black electrical tape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ellsworth-c...sAAOSw0uVdVaZc
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Suspension forks are nice on frozen footsteps and postholes. Our conditions here in the northeast, even at the best of times, are never all smooth and happy. There are always frozen, rotted, icy, gnarly water ice zones and when it's a mile of footsteps that fork is sure nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    At that price you ought to be able to do alright, just don't settle for a rear hub that isn't up to the task. Many of the less expensive fat hubs are junk. These are a solid value and should take care of you pretty well with 10* engagement, 4 heavy duty leaf spring pawls and Enduro bearings. https://www.dirtcomponents.com/dirthubs Use the code Trailhead for 10% off.
    I’ll vouch for the build quality of Dirt’s wheels. They're nothing short of spectacular.
    Last edited by Speedfreak; 11-20-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: CaN't sPeL
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is the best deal I have found, just ordered one for $139. Might even leave the Ellsworth decals on for comedic effect. Or some black electrical tape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ellsworth-c...sAAOSw0uVdVaZc
    thats not bad at all... was that the offer you made?

Yes. He declined $129, but went for $139.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Suspension forks are nice on frozen footsteps and postholes. Our conditions here in the northeast, even at the best of times, are never all smooth and happy. There are always frozen, rotted, icy, gnarly water ice zones and when it's a mile of footsteps that fork is sure nice to have.
    We have about 50 miles of groomed trails in the area (and packed powder a lot of the time), so it’s not so important.

Smoothness and packed powder are a myth, they only exist in pictures and videos on the internet. Really...

Mythical in the East, at least!

I picked up some studded tire in the spring, mounted them up intending to ride the next day and overnight spring sprang up and never let go so they haven't been ridden. I'm considering tubeless but I gotta wonder about running low psi and burps. Last year I ran my shitty Chaoyang's at about 3-4 psi occasionally (with tubes) when the snow was fresh and loose. If I run tubeless at those pressures am I going to burp in the fast DH corners?

When it's soft I run 4-5psi and don't burp and the trails around here are rarely smooth and easy. Actually never...

What are people using for winter spd footwear? For now I’ve got some neoprene shoe covers but if I really get into this fat biking thing, which seems inevitable at this point, I could see upgrading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footwear is critical. I have some lake 303s. They keep my feet toasty and dry. I would highly recommend them.

The 45nrth boots are really nice also. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Footwear is critical. I have some lake 303s. They keep my feet toasty and dry. I would highly recommend them.

The 45nrth boots are really nice also. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Seth

+2 on the Lake 303's. I did the neoprene booties, the shitty Shimano winter shoes and finally settled on the Lakes. They're the same form factor as regular bike shoes, so you don't rub the shit out of your chainstays, and they're exceptionally warm. Get good socks and manage your hear loss through your head, hands and feet.

+3 on the 303’s. The waterproofness was critical in the Midwest, where it rains all the time.

This is my winter boot, SPD.
    It’s bomber
    https://45nrth.com/products/red-wing-wolvhammer
    crab in my shoe mouth

They don’t make them anymore but I swear by my 45nrth Japanther boots. Reasonably light, waterproof and warm down to single digits temps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had a pair of japanthers. I felt they were good down to about 25 degrees, but not warm enough below. Regular shoes with good socks or neoprene covers work as well down to that temp rating. The 303s are a bit too warm above 40.

Specialized Defroster shoes are warm and high quality. I have an extra pair that are too large for me...size 13...nearly new...if someone’s interested. http://www.beelinebicycles.co.uk/676...bike-shoe.aspx

Selling a small Bucksaw if anyone knows anyone...

GX build, black ALU

I luv my Bucksaw
    watch out for snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verresabieres_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	303457
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Well fuck.

It started snowing this morning at about 9, it's the first snow in the valley this year. I got all excited to try my new studded tires running toobless. I waited until about 2 when I decided there was enough snow and enough daylight. Off I went, my tires were a little firm but I figured it was ok since there was only an inch of fluff. About 2 km in I thought I heard a little psh, psh from my back tire so I stopped and yup it was a little softer so I hated up and continued. I went around a fast corner with a root and my front tire didn't go psh, it went pbbbbbt and instantly flat. I pulled out my pump and toob to change it out only to find the lock but on the valve was frozen fucking solid.

After walking home 4km I've decided fuck this, I'm running toobs in my fat bike.

Yeah... I'm about 50/50 on running tubeless in my fat bike. I just retaped them last night and have the tube in applying pressure overnight.

I had mixed experience last winter - the Terene tires seemed to weep sealant through the sidewalls. I've had a few punctures that required tubes to be put in. But... The cost for the tape was about the same as a new tube and I needed to buy a new tube, so I figured I'd give it another shot...

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Yeah... I'm about 50/50 on running tubeless in my fat bike. I just retaped them last night and have the tube in applying pressure overnight.

I had mixed experience last winter - the Terene tires seemed to weep sealant through the sidewalls. I've had a few punctures that required tubes to be put in. But... The cost for the tape was about the same as a new tube and I needed to buy a new tube, so I figured I'd give it another shot...

I really fought with my tubeless until I went with FattyStripper, and now it is no longer a problem. I do have to add sealant occasionally, but no burping or exploding.
    http://fattystripper.com/