Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: It's Coming...

Integration has been Smith's tagline for their helmet series since they rolled out the first Variant.

Do you guys remember that?

Of course it's all marketing BS but that's what companies do, what did anyone expect???

I like Smith, I own several pairs of their goggles and glasses. I would entertain their ski helmets if they fit my head but they don't. This thing? Not in the market and I'm very happy with my Super and also have a Trabec as backup so I don't think it's gonna happen but good for them on getting in to the bike market. I'm sure it will get better, or at least better looking next year.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I think it's those little tubey things, they integrate protection, light weight and ventilation. If it works, it sounds pretty ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I think it's those little tubey things, they integrate protection, light weight and ventilation. If it works, it sounds pretty ultimate.
    Dammit you should have let them argue on for another few pages about how it integrates goggles and glasses before cluing them in.

If it breathes on a whole other level vs conventional helmets then I could get past the ugly. I just got a Bell Super for rad endurobro riding, I look forward to using the gopro mount to mount my light for night riding. Built in light mounts are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'm sure it will get better, or at least better looking next year.
    If those tubey things were just plain old black, I would probably buy one ASAP. Except black helmets suck. Hmmn. I'll have to think on that. Maybe just plain grey.

I'm disappointed it's not more like that Giro euro-gaper thing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yeah, but does it have two gopro mounts?

Then the only place to go from here is penultimate.

Whachta got BELL????

Push button retractable chinbar for transition stages??? Oh yeah
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Push button retractable mirror.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Dammit you should have let them argue on for another few pages about how it integrates goggles and glasses before cluing them in.
    your smug makes the marketing more stupid - because after all you are trying to sell to people who aren't dorks in the industry right? but like I said, that's the stupid that makes the action sports industry funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    And man, I don't think Smith is coming out with a way to hook your glasses to your bike helmet. Just guessing here but Smith is putting fuzzy pics on a bike trail pic and then posting it all over bike forums. They already make bike glasses, they already make ski helmets, where could this be going? Anyone notice some funky material in the vents of Sage's helmet in that pic on bike rumor?
    Integration doesn't have to be how something attaches. Look at Smith's helmet goggle "integration". It's all about how air flows through the system because the "integration" is lining up the vents on the helmet to direct air into the goggles to keep fog down and the user comfy temp wise. There's nothing special about how a Smith elastic band hold the goggles to the helmet.

A lot of people buy Smith ski helmets now because they are light, stylie, and vent really well. My bet is Smith is going to follow that trend by making bike helmets and vent them a special way to keep the rider cooler so you don't have a bunch of sweat that drips down on your sunglass lenses.

-Is lighter than the one I have
    -I can put my light on it securely so it doesn't move around in the dark when I hit a bump
    -Vents better
    -My understanding is Koroyd can take multiple hits so I don't have to trash my helmet when the foam spiderwebs (maybe offsets initial price tag)
    -My sunglasses might fit better because they actually thought of that
    -The once or twice a year I wear goggles with an open face, they stay on better
    -Takes a bigger impact than traditional foam.

Or, they just made a helmet that does everything I would like a bike helmet to do and they came in lighter, cooler, stronger, and safer.
    Actually, a helmet that vents and weighs what a road helmet does and protects like an all mountain helmet and can take multiple small hits seems fairly revolutionary in an otherwise stale space.
    Other helmets don't use Koroyd. Whether or not it's the bee's knees, way to dodge my question. And maybe Smith meant ultimate integration with new materials... If it turns out to be the best vented and most impact protection which it easily could, maybe ultimate is a good word.

Maybe it just takes someone that works in a bike shop to throw the right clue out there or just simple and shorter words so people get it. No disrespect meant to the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    your smug makes the marketing more stupid - because after all you are trying to sell to people who aren't dorks in the industry right? but like I said, that's the stupid that makes the action sports industry funny.
    I don't disagree the marketing is stupid. Ultimate Integration tag line does not make you think about the shell materials and how it allows the helmet to breathe.

I don't think it's going to light the mtb world on fire and have people running out to buy it no matter what. TLD has the fashion crowd locked up, Bell and Giro have market penetration and name recognition that Smith can only dream of. What's their in going to be? Not price. Dealers already added the third option premium price, funny euro brand with POC. They'll be fighting it out for shelf space with Urge, the current king of ugly.

TLD paint jobs make me want to drink Mountain Dew.

That means you're not the fashion crowd.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I think of meth, monster energy and truck nuts. but apparently it's the fashion crowd? ooof.

I've got no idea shirk. didn't they face the same dynamics in snow helmets? or does bellgiro have more of the market locked up for their crap in bikes?

I think of meth, monster energy and truck nuts. but apparently it's the fashion crowd? ooof.

I've got no idea shirk. didn't they face the same dynamics in snow helmets?
    Before Monster, there was Mountain Dew. I'm just old school.

That means you're not the fashion crowd.
    Apparently not.

I've got no idea shirk. didn't they face the same dynamics in snow helmets? or does bellgiro have more of the market locked up for their crap in bikes?
    From what I see around Whistler/BC it's Smith and Giro for snow helmets, does Bell even do snow helmets?

In bike up here I'd say Bell/Giro have the market locked for xc/am/enduro/half shell helmets. Full face it's a broad mix.

TLD has the colour puke helmets, but they've also got some toned down options.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I preferred the marketing honesty of Jolt - all the sugar, twice the caffeine.

BellGiro is the same people from the same building shirk (you probably know that). that's all. whether one does or doens't don't know, but the money comes from and goes to the same pot.

BellGiro is the same people from the same building shirk (you probably know that). that's all.
    I had forgot that. They do still run distinct brand faces and product so for this discussion I'd say they are independent. Them being owned and distributed via the same channel does make it that much harder for Smith to break into the bike market.

For the record I do like my Smith Maze snow helmet, Smith goggles and Smith sunglasses.

What's their in going to be?
    For the record I do like my Smith Maze snow helmet, Smith goggles and Smith sunglasses.
    That's their in.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    That's their in.
    I am cheap and used proform...if paying retail I likely would have ended up with different stuff. Hope they aren't relying on me to support them.

I preferred the marketing honesty of Jolt - all the sugar, twice the caffeine.

BellGiro is the same people from the same building shirk (you probably know that). that's all. whether one does or doens't don't know, but the money comes from and goes to the same pot.
    Different people, same building and test equipment.

Really distinct fits between the 2 brands as well.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Different people, same building and test equipment.

Really distinct fits between the 2 brands as well.
    whatever facade you need man. a few different people in a smallish office building who eat lunch together everyday if it makes you happy Everytime I wonder why there's such bullshit branding and undifferentiable products, I just login to TGR.

edit: and at least in the past couple years there's been more than one job position (like test technician) that was responsible to both groups. whatever you want/need to believe.

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier...

Maybe the outdoor/bike companies just love the term "integration."

At least when Shimano called their road bike shifter/brake lever combo "STI" for "Shimano Total Integration," they were at least integrating shifters and brake levers together...

Hey Smith -- could you please do a 25-year anniversary Disintegration edition of your Integration helmet? Would be awesome graphics if you could make that smiley face on the helmet look like Robert Smith coming out of your head. I bet you'd sell at least a handful...

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Let's just be honest with ourselves...
    We would have happily and perhaps completely overlooked the marketing hype and the price if it plain ol looked better.

Smith is failing itself by A. not showing the helmut from a lot of angles/other colorways and B. not showing the other interesting features in detail. Until they do, or we see them in person it's a helmut with bright green pumpkin face vents that costs $220.

a few different people
    Yep, the design groups.

in a smallish office building who eat lunch together everyday if it makes you happy Everytime I wonder why there's such bullshit branding and undifferentiable products, I just login to TGR.

edit: and at least in the past couple years there's been more than one job position (like test technician) that was responsible to both groups. whatever you want/need to believe.
    Jeesus dude, do you remember when I wrote that they share test equipment? I guess "personnel and facilities" would have been more precise...but I guess this is why you are a perennial contender for Internet Debate Champion!

Yes, they share a building, rep force, accounting, dealer catalog, etc. But they are two distinct brands with different fits and market penetration, amongst other things.