Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I stand corrected and realize I was talking out if my ass assuming that Oahu has a similar swell window as we do here. My only experience was three weeks on Kauai, after Thanksgiving. So, yeah, I'll shut up now.

But I did just have a lot of fun on the ole log at 2nd Peak just now. A lot.

Wait a second. Why are we talking about October in this thread? The OP (me) was asking about February. I feel like I should be much more angry for not getting a clear answer and all this derailment. Do you guys have it in for me or something?

Maybe I should start planning some October trips to the islands myself.

Hmmm yeah I guess it would be nice to come back and surf at Pleasure Point, esp since I spent so much time there looking and trying to figure it all out. There is a really nice long ride inside to the right, iirc, and out of everyone's way. Last year I made a bunch of plans to come and see people up that way and then bailed at the last minute. Honestly I am so burned out on driving back and forth between here and CO though. It's a direct route through Las Vegas, which has it's own distractions, since I love the pokerz.

As for the swell size at Canoes, as long as it's not dead flat I'm guessing I'll like it. And if there's any kind of channel to get out I'll even go for 4-6, shoots that's what I've had to deal with here already. I've got a girlfriend coming from CO tonight so we're gonna be messing around at La Jolla Shores, which is so little and weak it makes me laugh now.

Sorry to derail your thread, but had to chime in since Oahu is on the top of my list and it was under discussion. I've started enough random threads so I figured what the hey. I kinda wish more people would post here so I could fly a little more under the radar w my kooky ways. The posts here get me fired up to go surfing too.

If I went to Oahu and there was a big north swell coming through I could go up there and watch. That would be pretty cool. Yeah I want to go to Oahu.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ottime, not purposely derailing you. You mentioned not much south rolls in past September, so I thought I'd share my experience. I'm gonna delete the above info, I don't want a buncha other pasties following me over there next fall

Back on the Feb track, 2 seasons ago in feb the surf was OH-DOH the entire week and 2+ days of triple to quad++ overhead, outter reef stuff that I wanted no part of, but the zoo was in town for the Pipe Pro so that was fun to watch. I need to check out the other islands one of the next trips over there

Shera, canoes is a gentle wave, crowded though. It's kinda like the Oahu version of tourmaline but lot warmer Hope u and ur friend get some waves. Kinda small tonight so hopefully it will be rideable
    Last edited by Piggity; 08-11-2013 at 01:55 AM.

I think he was just kidding, thread hijaak is a time honored tradition around here. But you can keep your top secret swell data.

You know I think Tourmo might have more umph to it than Canoes just from looking at youtube, less mush. Gaw the crowds, always crowds, even at first light. But that's ok, my future is at Sunset Cliffs, practically a private break in comparison.

I guess the water is kinda deep over the coral there at Canoes, so you don't have to worry about low tide? 2' of clearance at low tide would be nice.

Pasties, heh. I will be browning myself at La Jolla Shores today and coaching Kim in the white water. Me showing someone surfing, that is such a joke. But I told her no arms today, just walk out turn around and hop on the 10'. Maybe I'll give a little push. Let her find the fore/aft of it. I want her to save her arms to get outside at Tourmo tomorrow. People that haven't been outside don't realize how nice it is.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I like a good thread hijack, but he was talking about Feb and gotta keep it on point. Although Commish did say he's going in November, thread drift potential down the road..haha

I'm assuming you're already at shores by now but if not, have you thought about pipes? Pretty gentle wave, lot of ladies in the lineup and pretty chill people. Thinking about loading up my 8'0" and heading out soon. As for cliffs, the zoo arrives at the cliffs in Winter. OH-DOH Northwest swell and the Cliffs are mobbed. I used to live on Point Loma Ave, some fond memories of mind blowing sessions down there

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Ottime, not purposely derailing you. You mentioned not much south rolls in past September, so I thought I'd share my experience. I'm gonna delete the above info, I don't want a buncha other pasties following me over there next fall

Back on the Feb track, 2 seasons ago in feb the surf was OH-DOH the entire week and 2+ days of triple to quad++ overhead, outter reef stuff that I wanted no part of, but the zoo was in town for the Pipe Pro so that was fun to watch. I need to check out the other islands one of the next trips over there

Shera, canoes is a gentle wave, crowded though. It's kinda like the Oahu version of tourmaline but lot warmer Hope u and ur friend get some waves. Kinda small tonight so hopefully it will be rideable
    No need to delete. I was just playing tough guy. Although I might e-drop in on you next time I make it south. Plans are laid to be back in Palm Springs next April. Snow or waves, I'm game. Get that knee fixed.

ah, man, its good. now i feel like an ass. that was good info. point being there are waves on the south shore after labor day. just no white pants please.

I hear the snow will be neck deep around here next April. Damn, almost forgot about the knee until u mentioned it. Probably too late to get cut now unless I want to miss the entire season, procrastination is crimpin' my style

I like a good thread hijack, but he was talking about Feb and gotta keep it on point. Although Commish did say he's going in November, thread drift potential down the road..haha

I'm assuming you're already at shores by now but if not, have you thought about pipes? Pretty gentle wave, lot of ladies in the lineup and pretty chill people. Thinking about loading up my 8'0" and heading out soon. As for cliffs, the zoo arrives at the cliffs in Winter. OH-DOH Northwest swell and the Cliffs are mobbed. I used to live on Point Loma Ave, some fond memories of mind blowing sessions down there
    Yeah, we went to La Jolla on Sunday. It was a little challenge finding a big soft top to rent, everybody wants to push the cheap 8' wavestorms. But I got one and got her in the water, many rides inside, no paddling. Just perfect. I got lucky and caught a nice ride from outside and impressed her, so that made me feel like a total rock star.

Went to Tourmaline yesterday and it was so small. Easy paddle to the outside and then drifting around and looking at the situation, including learning to look at waves from the back as they go into shore. No rides but still very enlightening. Will try that again today. I think I teach better than I surf.

I heard about Sunset Cliffs in the winter! I'll go have a look when I visit at Christmas. But the summer is so chill - small, mushy, quiet, such a pretty aframe wave, like a point break, at Garbage. I love it over there. I REALLY want to own that place someday.
    Henry David Thoreau

Piggity, did you surf more at Garbage or by the big rock (Bird Shit?) or further south (No Break?)? When you went down the stairs did you every worry about the tides or swell size making it unsafe to come back in to the stairs?

Haha, now we have a real hijaak underway. Don't worry, your children won't be eaten.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    everybody wants to push the cheap 8' wavestorms.
    Hey, I love my (or I guess my son's) WaveStorm. It makes a great picnic bench to sit on when taking a break at the beach. You can throw it right down on the reef and tide pools and not worry about a thing.

Do other soft tops actually ride better? I don't know. It is the only foamy I've been on. Rides like crap. Planes okay, but you literally can not put it on rail and carve. It just slips out every time.

And as for thread jacks does anyone want to buy some cheap used short boards? Selling the entire quiver less than 7'6".

I think the wavestorm is great! But I can't ride any waves on it, and neither can any other beginner surfer. I bought one from Costco on Maui and my bf used it, but he needed a little bigger wave for it to go and even then he would have to pump it plenty.

The Wavestorm is 8' and beginners need 10' or even 11' for a good time getting pushed by the wash, imo. And those are the softtops. They are really expensive so I guess that's why the shops don't rent them much, they just don't have the inventory. Well I guess there are other factors too - in Lahaina the beginners go to the small reef break but here they might go to Ocean Beach, or Mission or Pacific. All sand.
    Henry David Thoreau

do you have any fish's ott? I'd be interested if so

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    do you have any fish's ott? I'd be interested if so
    Can't we all just stay on topic folks?

No fish. Pretty much a few mid to high performance short boards, a nice step up and a Puerto/Pipe mini gun.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo/3997985142.html

The mini gun is a real steal if you have a need for it. I rarely ride it these days so I'm trying to pool money for a new step up

Glad you scored some waves, sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Piggity, did you surf more at Garbage or by the big rock (Bird Shit?) or further south (No Break?)?
    Usually Rockslides, Luscomb's, needles and No surf (referred to as 'no leash sometimes'). Birdshit every once in a while. You should take a walk down the PLNU trail and walk south (mid to low tide), it's a cool area.

When you went down the stairs did you every worry about the tides or swell size making it unsafe to come back in to the stairs?
    Not usually at Garb cause I haven't surfed it on a huge day, I think some of the other exits are shadier though. The key is to go on the outgoing tide if you are worried. Being out for a few hours on an incoming tide can change the exits and make it more difficult. Lot of guys get rescued in the winter up toward Luscom's/RS cause there are some false exits. Once they exit they realize there is no trail up. Unless it's changed there are no exits between RS and Garbage but some look inviting when you're getting pounded and have no energy left. You have to either scale the cliff at Luscomb's (small climb but water banging the cliff as you are climbing with your board on your back, can get really shady on big high tide and giant NW swell), scale the Rocks at the bottom of RS (less shady than Luscomb's but can still bang you up pretty good if you mis-time it) or if you're nervous about those exits, you can paddle around to Needles/No Leash and exit on the beach. In the day time these exits are usually manageable, after the sun goes down is another story. I've had a number of really shady exits after dark, shady factor can go up to 9.5/10 on a big swell and pitch dark.
    Last edited by Piggity; 08-14-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Usually Rockslides, Luscomb's, needles and No surf (referred to as 'no leash sometimes'). Birdshit every once in a while. You should take a walk down the PLNU trail and walk south (mid to low tide), it's a cool area.
    Not usually at Garb cause I haven't surfed it on a huge day, I think some of the other exits are shadier though. The key is to go on the outgoing tide if you are worried. Being out for a few hours on an incoming tide can change the exits and make it more difficult. Lot of guys get rescued in the winter up toward Luscom's/RS cause there are some false exits. Once they exit they realize there is no trail up. Unless it's changed there are no exits between RS and Garbage but some look inviting when you're getting pounded and have no energy left. You have to either scale the cliff at Luscomb's (small climb but water banging the cliff as you are climbing with your board on your back, can get really shady on big high tide and giant NW swell), scale the Rocks at the bottom of RS (less shady than Luscomb's but can still bang you up pretty good if you mis-time it) or if you're nervous about those exits, you can paddle around to Needles/No Leash and exit on the beach. In the day time these exits are usually manageable, after the sun goes down is another story. I've had a number of really shady exits after dark, shady factor can go up to 9.5/10 on a big swell and pitch dark.
    I love the cliffs to the south, past Nazarene. I have walked so far down that coastline, almost around the point. It is lovely and remote, a place of sanity for me in this city. I will go all the way at some point and come up through Cabrillo. Was thinking of dropping a bike up there somewhere to cut my time in rising water in half. That's why I've always had to turn around. But it is so nice coming back onto deserted beaches and seeing my own footprints and no others.

Thanks for your response, filed. I found this on wannasurf, since I don't know all your places, and I still have no idea of how to get down there to places like birdshit...

Sunset Cliffs - North to South

Pescadero Beach Reef break best on a small swell

Osprey Reef Mushy right with a hollow inside bowl.

Bird Shit Crescent shaped inside reef works with the help of backwash.

No Surf Inside reef formed when the shelf was dynamited out to form a swim area 100 years ago. Works on small swells

Needles eye The inside south side of the cove breaks left at high tide on small swells

Luscombs Fast right that gets hollow when big

Indicator North Cliffs outside peak that holds any size and works best on big swells.

Rock slides Hollow left mirror image of Luscombs

North Garbage Right & left holds 6+

South Garbage Shelf is shallow on the outside turns into long mushy ride. Best on south and west swells holds 6+.

Subs Inside lefts at high tide and outside lefts and rights at size.

Ab Long left & short right has an almond shaped tube

South Ab Long Hollow right sometimes connects with Newbreak

Newbreak inside shelf suck-out causes double waves that get thick... right only

Chasm Long left

33's Long walk good right
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm assuming you're already at shores by now but if not, have you thought about pipes? Pretty gentle wave, lot of ladies in the lineup and pretty chill people. Thinking about loading up my 8'0" and heading out soon.
    I looked at pipes on wannasurf - looks about right, mushy wave, 40+ longboard kooks, that's me. So I can't remember, do you live north county now? If you know any other breaks, esp further south where you would take your 8', lemme know. I do need a little warning if you're extending an invitation, but I'll take any ideas for my own exploration as well. Would like to know your thought about me surfing anywhere at Sunset Cliffs...you know how ott is saying I should find a deserted wave, well that would be the place.
    Henry David Thoreau

That walk past PLNU is one of the coolest parts of the cliffs. Glad you've been down there. If you go to the end of the point to Cabrillo Monument then be sure to stay out of the water cause they write tickets for walking on the tide pools.

That stuff from Wannasurf is pretty accurate, except Indicators is straight outside of no surf (North of Luscomb's). Not that it matters cause it's usually non-existent until a bigger NW rolls through. I've never seen Osprey's, Luscomb's or Rockslides get truly hollow. Newb's is probably the best wave in that area, but it's also one of the most localized places in SD, at least is used to be anyway.

Would like to know your thought about me surfing anywhere at Sunset Cliffs...you know how ott is saying I should find a deserted wave, well that would be the place.
    Cliffs this time of year is probably the best bet in that immediate area. South County (Except IB) tends to be more crowded than spots in North County (Except the really crowded spots like Cardiff and Swami's). Even if Cliffs is somewhat crowded, it's usually a bunch of soul surfing hippies that aren't out there to vibe you. That's pretty much where I paddled out when I was full beginner status and no one bit my head off, ever. (except Newb's). My buddy surfs Garbage all the time and he loves it cause everyone is really chill.

BS hit me up to go surfing this weekend. Maybe a LB sesssion? It's gonna be micro but you're welcome to join

Ok, cool. I'll def head back out to Garbage. I've studied that break so much, might as well surf it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ask this guy how he does it...

Henry David Thoreau

I just took the plunge, bought tickets for the (family) surf trip to Puerto Rico in Feb/Mar. Stoked! Gonna stay two weeks in Rincon, and a few days cruising around the island elsewhere. Tickets <$400 RT from LA, super deal. Crowds or not, swell and warm water too good to pass up. Vamanos!

Any tips on good spots around the island other than surfing? Not into San Juan/Vieques, but curious about snorkeling/rainforest/food. much appreciated-

Nice. Is that a direct flight from LA?

Our trip has no trigger pulled. CR was my mother in laws idea. She was just out here for a weekend visit, so I tried to discuss making plans with her. I think my description of CR travel/life scared the shit out of her.

Looking more like somewhere in Hawaii, leaning toward Kauai. Thing is, I really just want to travel with my 6'0", which is not likely a good idea for being on the islands in February.

not direct, flight routes through JFK. not my preference but the price was right, and the flight times were good.

PR much cheaper than Hawaii in all regards. Flights, houses, cars, food all seem about half. Crowds about the same from what I read. No sharks.

Waves probably about half as well, but thats good for me. Wintertime Hawaii a bit out of my league. Though the one time I did surf Maui in January, it was small rather than big, and north shore spots were just right.