Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    water was 72 when I was there in december comish. It cools down this time of year, but I surfed in boardshorts everyday around xmas/new years.

And yea, not an "epic" surf destination, but is definitely easy/cheap from california/fun/great food/lots of dif. waves/kid friendly. Obv not a resort vacation like I told ott before, but if it's a more adventurous family trip I don't see why it doesn't fulfill his criteria.

Ottime- sounds like you've got Kauai pretty well sorted. I can point you in the right direction if you decide on Oahu instead of/in addition to. Lot's more to do and see, but not the 'drop off the map' vacation that Kauai is. There's a lot more than Hon+North Shore. The east and south sides are way prettier than you'd expect, family-friendly, and there's pretty much always a wind swell of some sort. And the food doesn't suck.

I have loads of questions about Oahu. Like, first, where to stay. I've never been out of the airport, so know nothing about it. I assume you know both islands a bit. What is appealing about Hanalei is the whole walk to the beach/ walk to town/ mellow - low key bit. If we were to, say choose to explore Oahu, then what does the island offer for good old family times. ANd where should we look for lodging. If we do the whole Hawaii thing, I think we will look for a home to rent to have access to a kitchen. Ideally withing a walk to a beach, some surf, and a little town.

Hanalei is pretty cool with Pine Trees beach break for smaller days and the local reefs for decent swell, along with mellow surf at the pier. Are there beaches on Oahu that offer up some surf and are not death defying shore pound on bits of reef that will tear and adventurous two year old in fifteen pieces.

Jtran, I think the Baja Sur suggestion is spot on for what we are looking for, and will be on the list for future excursions if it does not pan out for this one. I for one don't need a perfect line up for this type of vacation. If access is easy, and the cost is cheap, I don't mind playing around in some fun, warm beach break during a family vacation. What are the winds like there in winter? Do onshores blow during the day?

OTOH, the further I travel and more expense incurred the better the whole experience needs to be, including the surf. To be honest, the surf in Hawaii is almost too good, and too tempting for what I want. I actually vetoed a Hawaii honeymoon ten years ago and opted for an Alaskan tour to keep me from getting into trouble. Not that I would complain about overhead shacks.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post

What about Punta Mita between Puerta Vallarta and Sayulita? I think I'm between that and either Oahu or Kaui.
    Tell me more. I started looking here. Flights are cheapest yet. Looks like Barros is the place to set up near? Lodging looks like US pricey, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Not a lot of homes on VBRO, but they are way more expensive than the average in Hanalei or north shore Oahu. Car rentals are dirt cheap though.

It does fit a lot of the criteria, with some chill beaches for the boy and surf right out front. OTOH, it looks like a fairly built up resort area and kind of Americanized, al a gated communities.

And as I have not been paying much attention to this in specifics, how is the crime around and near PV? Are people getting beheaded and shit?

Hugh, I'd love to go to Portugal/Spain/Morocco, but looking at air fares it might be out of the question. Better for MIL, but we have three to pay for and she only one. honestly PSM has been on my list since I was 16 and surfing in Maine and Surfer did a spread on it. Honestly looks like some of the most fun a surf trip could be, with good food and old architecture to enjoy between tube rides.

ott, onshores did pick up a bit in the afternoon, but from what I remember there was not a consistent seasonal flow like here. Mornings were calm or offshore. At cerritos, there's a point that protects the cove from NW winds for the most part. I wasn't there JUST to surf, but whenever I was surfing I don't remember it ever being blown out. I'd def keep baja sur on your radar for a more cultural excursion type of trip, with good surf and warm water. FWIW, looks like direct flights from San Jose on Alaska.

I was at Negra last month. During the rainy season now, mornings were calm, afternoon was a bit on shore and when the rains came in the late afternoon, winds went offshore. Negra as a reef break is pretty fast with a decent swell, and, the inside can be pretty nasty at lowtide.

The walk to the break:

Hydration:

The Break:

Ottime- PM me if you want to take me up on my offer, or want further information on the spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mo5l2jTWqN1r6hollo1_1280.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	776.0 KB 
ID:	139142  

Thanks SM. I might be in contact. Still need to discuss with the mother in law. And I'm going to chat with my buddy who has escaped Maine several times for the pacific coast of CR around the same time frame. I'm going to get another dose of personal experience. I'm starting to think there may be more surf during our winter and folks around here think. If the group wants Costa, and the surf can be stomach high or better, than I am game.

Been looking into Punta Mita as well. The web kind of blows for real good beta. Anyone around here been before?

Porto Escondido, Mexico--- Cheap, laid back, INSANE WAVES, or exstopa ( I know the spellings wrong, look it up) just north of there, a left point break, You way even loose the mother in-law.

thumbs down on Ixtapa. the left Willie is talking about (I think) is Saladita. pretty disappointing wave and certainly no zicatela. mellow mushy longboard wave better for the beginning wife than anything else. unless I just missed it completely, but people in the water said what I saw was pretty good, that was in November, fwiw. not many other breaks nearby either.

shrimp tacos were all-time though.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    thumbs down on Ixtapa. the left Willie is talking about (I think) is Saladita. pretty disappointing wave and certainly no zicatela. mellow mushy longboard wave better for the beginning wife than anything else. unless I just missed it completely, but people in the water said what I saw was pretty good, that was in November, fwiw. not many other breaks nearby either.

shrimp tacos were all-time though.
    November is not the time for Saladita. It is a slower wave, but around shoulder - head high starts to wake up a bit. It is basically a left Malibu. Same deal in that when its small I wouldn't want a short board, but as it gets bigger you can ride anything there. We love the place for south swells, but in Nov or Dec, not so much...

Currently looking at No. Shore Oahu for early November pending $$$. Hoping and have been told we can find something that won't crush us.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Saladita, that's it, I have only been there in August and September when the South's are rolling in, when it's small it's kinda slow but when it gets overhead to double over head it gets real good, growing up in the Ventura/Santa Barbra area I always thought of it as a Rincon left but without the crowds.

i'll toss this one out here since we're talking about different surf destinations-

Brazil??? Itacare, specifically.

Know anything? Shit, this is Tgr, speculate anything? Looks like I will be down there next July, and want to get a few waves if it is worth it. From what I researched, looks like the best time of year for swell, but maybe a bit onshore for wind. I am thinking about a week in Itacare, Bahia. Also wondering about surf just outside Rio. What ya heard?

Hugh Conway Guest
    brasilians surf there. ++++ vibes ++++

thanks for clarifying Hugh

Why is it that when we talk about surf spots it's always someplace tropical, I thought TGR was a bunch of hardcore powder skiers, what about places like Vancouver Island, Nova Scotia, Canada has some great surf, or Ireland, France, Western Oz, they all have killer waves, Just tell the wife your all going to J-Bay, end of discussion.

MAINE

about one residing surfer per mile of coastline between nh and portland.

rog

I doubt that. There is a lost of coast line around here. Plenty of nooks and crannies. Hell, cape Porposie to Biddeford Pool must have a hundred miles alone. Especially at low tide. Funny thing is my buddy from Wells says it gets chillier here in February. In fact his family might meet mine in Costa if we go.

Why tropical? For this thread, it is about my family vacation. They want to escape winter. My mom in law lives in western by. Winter is chilly. I like the idea of riding in board shorts. So there is that.

Who knows what about Nosara? I know the PAC side is not ripping in Feb, but anyone know what the breaks are like? Town? Nw swells? Anything. It is now on the list and I've only breezed through town.

I spent a week in Nosara back in May. I was a first time surfer so I can't answer any surfing questions.

my gal and i may hit up nosara this winter, probably jan. December thru feb is nice on the pac coast cuz you get mostly offshore winds pretty much all day. come march the winds chop the water up more.

mostly beach break a few miles long. not too crowded as the beach is big and spreads folks out. town is nice enough. we'll most likely stay at harbor reef resort for a week or 2.

rog

Just booked tickets to Oahu for early Nov. Got 2 frequent flyer tickets so gonna go check out the north shore. Pretty psyched.

I kinda feel like its something every surfer should do at least once, along the lines of Cham or AK.

My memories of Nosara are as Icelandicskier said, although I'm only about 15years out of date on most of my CR knowledge...

Had a great trip to Moro de Sau Paulo off the coast near Salvador in Brazil. Had a fun reef break with head high surf. 2 local brazilians got all the set waves whether they were in position or not which was annoying, but warm water, good shape, and enough for the rest of us. Don't know if I would travel there for surf, but it was certainly a huge bonus when we showed up there and saw this nice hh right peeling in the bay unexpectedly. Loved Brazil and would really like to go back. Ahh, the ass on display there is just amazing. Hope your wife/girl is ok with scoping / wearing something other than a diaper bikini Good times, good food, fresh drinks, great guitar music on the beach at night, all around a very mellow and fun place.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If we were to, say choose to explore Oahu, then what does the island offer for good old family times. ANd where should we look for lodging. If we do the whole Hawaii thing, I think we will look for a home to rent to have access to a kitchen. Ideally withing a walk to a beach, some surf, and a little town.
    If you're thinking north shore and a house then maybe Haleiwa? Mostly because Country is pretty low key, not many other spots will be walking distance to stores and surf. If no house available then maybe Turtle Bay? Haven't stayed or surfed in that area but it's probably one of the few options for a nice hotel (probably expensive too) on the north shore and only a hop skip and jump from the NS action.

If you're looking south Shore then I'd get something out toward Diamond head. Short drive/longer walk to Waikiki but plenty of fun for the family to do the tourist thing, meanwhile you slip away and surf the Trade swell wrap into DH. If any late season souths roll in then surf spots in town like sui's and tongs will cleaner than DH but less crowded than Waikiki or ala moana.

As for things to do, Hike Diamond Head, Hike Coco Head, Drive and check the Pali Lookout, cruise north shore, surf, beach picnic, surf, snorkel Hanauma bay, body surf sandy's, check out the blowhole, be a tourist, go to Duke's and grab a Pupu and beers, surf, surf surf. Just make sure to get your sunburn before you arrive so it doesn't look like you just stepped off the plane

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    If you're looking south Shore then I'd get something out toward Diamond head. Short drive/longer walk to Waikiki but plenty of fun for the family to do the tourist thing, meanwhile you slip away and surf the Trade swell wrap into DH. If any late season souths roll in then surf spots in town like sui's and tongs will cleaner than DH but less crowded than Waikiki or ala moana.

As for things to do, Hike Diamond Head, Hike Coco Head, Drive and check the Pali Lookout, cruise north shore, surf, beach picnic, surf, snorkel Hanauma bay, body surf sandy's, check out the blowhole, be a tourist, go to Duke's and grab a Pupu and beers, surf, surf surf. Just make sure to get your sunburn before you arrive so it doesn't look like you just stepped off the plane
    I'm thinking of doing this in the fall. Trying to get a tan around here, it's kinda hard.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hmmm, maybe I should clarify. I just want to surf Canoes, right in front of Waikiki beach. I've looked at videos of it and it's so perfect for me. Long slow ride.

Also thinking about driving up to Malibu since it's such a classic.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm pretty sure canoes will be fairly small come autumn. Not much south swell action once we move past September.

You should come back to the point. I was out at 2nd peak yesterday an the crowd was small and mellow. This morning at Waddell was empty and glassy.