Sled JONG buying first snowmobile

I'm officially in the market for my first sled. Here's what I'm looking for:

Less than $2k
    Reliable (well, for a snowmobile)
    Will be used for sled skiing
    Needs to be a mountain sled for when I'm not sled skiing

After doing some research, it seems like an Edge chassis RMK 700 is the way to go. The Edge chassis is supposedly proven (whatever that means), and the 700 is also supposed to be quite bulletproof yet also has enough power to fulfill my needs. They also seem to be pretty common (used parts), I have a local Polaris dealer and, most importantly, they're in my price range.

So, are there other machines I should be looking at? My understanding is the 800's are timebombs with their crank/case issues and the 600's may not have enough power. Arctic Cats look to be out of my price range, and Yamahas and Ski Doos don't seem as common around here, so I haven't done a lot of research on them.

Any advice is welcome!

This winter, I picked up a 2006 Summit 800 with 2000 miles (800 on new motor) for 3k. If you can swing that extra cash, get a newer sled like a Summit. You'll have tons of fun!

That being said, if you want to keep it cheap and simple...get a 99 RMK 700. Should be easy to find in the $1500 range on KSL. The newer ones are less reliable, even the 700s. DO NOT get an 800.

Certain models have known issues (like the early 00's RMKs and crank failures), but for the most part, there is no sled that is much more reliable than another (older sleds are more reliable due to having less power and less complicated electronics). Once you get out on one and really romp it, you'll see why your buddies' sleds are always broken. They are simply very powerful machines that take a serious beating every time they go out.

Don't over-think it - just pick a cheap sled in decent condition and start riding. Don't forget to set aside extra money for premium fuel, premium oil, repairs, upgrades, mods, boots (when I'm not skiing I use snowboard boots I bought for $3 at the thrift store), full-face helmet, ramp/trailer, etc.

It's all worth it...you will have a blast!

My '04 Polaris RMK 800 (no crank issues-yet) would do exactly what you want. I can ride that hog anywhere I need to go.

a 600 will get everywhere a sled skier wants to go,
    but will be boring when u just want to sled.
    if tanduming, get the bigger motor.

skidoo 670 is a solid sled that everyone still talks highly about.
    they were tanduming on those back in the day.

I'm a skidoo man, coz its all I know.
    the ZX models were from 2000 - 2003 or there abouts and are great sleds.
    buddy picked up a mint ZX with fresh motor and heaps of shit done to it for $2800. just maintaince shit to the point of being anal not mods, and it is a fun machine when its sledneck time too. Believe me when I say ... YOU WILL SLEDNECK MORE THAN YOU THINK ... so buy a fun machine coz sledding is fun and you get the best of both sports in one day.

have said all that, when the egde first came out, it was a revolutionary chassis and is still remembered favourably.
    which ever way you go get one with a fresh motor and remember your buying an older sled. sleds break down all the time regardless of how much you've spent.
    good luck and let us know wot you buy.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I have an 02 RMK 800. It has been super reliable for me for the past 6 years, and I have a great ski system on it. Plus with the old style seat it is easy to double up. I had some cooling issues until I put an atermarket heat exchanger on it, but now it works fine.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still in the hunt, and have now found a couple of good ZX chassis 700s. I've also found a Rev chassis 600 h.o. I know it would probably be underpowered for what I want out of it, but you can slap on ZX 700 jugs, pistons and head and do pretty well. I'd end up spending a little more, but it's probably the only way to get into a Rev at my price range...and also avoid 800 headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
    I've also found a Rev chassis 600 h.o. I know it would probably be underpowered for what I want out of it,
    Nah. Get it.

A buddy of mine is still slogging one of those things well into the 4k mile range. We double up all kinds of shit on it. It's just a matter of being a little more patient.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Nah. Get it.

A buddy of mine is still slogging one of those things well into the 4k mile range. We double up all kinds of shit on it. It's just a matter of being a little more patient.
    You happen to know if it still has the 144" on it? A 600 with that "short" (used to be a long track back in the day) of a track had me worried, but your post is dangerously motivating.

Definitely still has the 144" on it.

Honestly the only place it's sucked is breaking trail on retarded deep days. And then I or someone else with a bigger sled runs into tree wells for him.

But tandem riding is fine on any packed track.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So I've got a line on a 2007 RMK Dragon 700 that's been well maintained, and it's somehow in my price range. The internets say these are solid machines. Am I retarded for not making it rain 100's all over the owner this very second? It seems like a steal of a deal...

I'm not sure it's a steal because it's still a polaris with 'dragon' in the name.

But the 6 and 700s were the better of the ilk. One for around 2k is worth hitting for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I'm not sure it's a steal because it's still a polaris with 'dragon' in the name.
    Is this a Ford vs. Chevy type jab? If there's something I should know, I'm all ears...or maybe I should adjust my sarcasm meter.

everyone is a litle bias.

I know guys that luv their dragons and wont change brands.
    I know a guy that is all about ZX skidoo and wont buy anything else in that price range.
    I like the rev's but its all I know and all of us have a garage full of parts for our sleds.
    the 600 rev is fine for tanduming, buddy has one and we liked it a lot. and its a light sled compaired to wot everyone else is on.
    dont over think it, a rebuilt motor at a good price with low miles is almost more important.
    its a first sled so dont expect it to be the right sled for you in 3 years time when your a sledneck like me.
    700 dragon sounds good, but 600s will work for a sled skier.
    keep in mind track and lug lenght. short lugs suck.

there are websites for almost every make and model.
    dootalk is a gold mine of info on all skidoo models even back to the 90's

let us know with pic's wot u buy
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I am contemplating selling my sled to upgrade to new. It’s an 02’ RMK 800 151” track with ~1700 miles. The thing is mint and has been upgraded on several levels. 4-6” adjustable riser (throttle and brake cables have been extended), WRP 3” highrise seat & storage bag, snow eliminators, Fox floats in the front, Snow Pro skis (they need new carbides), 2 wheel kit, SLP big air kit and a custom ski rack that will hold 2 sets of skis.

All the Snowest recommended junk like balancing the clutch, improving the venting has also been done. The clutches were gone through last winter and are set up for ~9500-12000 feet, they work well. The motor is stock with the exception of a SLP pipe and can and runs well.

I am located in the front range foothills, PM me if you are interested. I can prolly work with 2k if you can come up a little, I'd rather see it go to a Maggot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	139436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	139437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	139438  
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
    Is this a Ford vs. Chevy type jab? If there's something I should know, I'm all ears...or maybe I should adjust my sarcasm meter.
    The 800 dragons and everything polaris made from 2005 UNTIL 2007 pretty much sucked dick. I have no brand loyalty because at this point I've owned 4 different sleds across 3 different brands. I've had fun on all of them, except the precursor to that 700 you're looking at. But that sled handles really well, and has the one reliable engine of that era. I've got two polaris 600s on the same chassis that I use for work that I love.

So no, it's not a blind brand loyalty at all. It's just that a 2007 700 dragon was literally the first first year polaris didn't suck after a few years. And 2k is a good deal for that thing. Hit it. I would.

I'm having the seller of the D7 bring it by tomorrow; probably going to buy it ($2000). It has just under 3000 miles and the pistons/rings were replaced along with one cylinder (scored walls) around 100 miles ago after it ate a piston. Compression is supposedly "very good" and "within a couple of psi across both cylinders"...I'll see about that.

From everything that I've read on snowest, hcs, snowmobilefanatics, etc., it looks like they're great sleds (relatively speaking of course). About as pull and go as you could hope for.

If anyone has any last minute advice, I'm all ears! Thanks for all of your input up until now!

spook Guest
    so i read that this makes you the most likely to cause and die in an avalanche! is that true????????