Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 340
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,310
    Been digging a lot around the house to have an option For the kids without getting in the car..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6664.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	284572



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #302
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,417
    Not real trailwork but did a couple rides today to check out how overgrown the trails are. The answer - pretty overgrown on some side trails. Lots of rain plus warming temps have caused brush to explode. Lots of poison oak too. And some downed trees to cut out. Will be back to do some trimming!




    Ride #2 at another area I babysit. Somewhat overgrown and only a little PO. I seem to spend a lot more time here undoing the stupid shit that other people do - b-lines around every trivial rock; shortcuts; cairns; sanitizing lines.

    Not sure why cairns annoy me so much but I always remove them. This is a very obvious intersection unless your head is too far up your ass to notice all the tire tracks turning onto the trail.



    Much better...




    The dirt in this area is very erodable. Here the trail used to be level with the top of these two rocks but has been worn away to the point where its very hard to get through here. This is the very top of a steep switchback. Both rocks are embedded and won't budge so I'll probably build up a ramp/platform in between them to ride over. Everyone here seems to freak out at rocks so I'm sure that will be as big of a problem as the narrow squeeze.



    Around the next corner people is a b-line that formed because the smooth rock line on the left is SO SCARY!!! I've been blocking and re-blocking the cheater line for a couple years. Going to get a group out and plunk a huge boulder on that line that can't be moved. I know, first world problems and I shouldn't care but people are so fucking lame here, every trivial rock has to have a go round. Fuck them....




    The trail here went up and over this little roller on the left. The horror! Of course a line through the gap formed immediately. I've been meaning to plug it with a ramp so people are forced onto a rock roll.

    Last edited by evdog; 06-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,245
    Loam berms reconditioned

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,259
    I see the same thing, constant ride arounds of rock features, to the point where the actual feature becomes unrideable because the detour has compressed the dirt so much you end up with a big ledge, instead of just a roll. But then the same thing seems to happen with every rooty section. But it is going to happen unless there is only one possible line, at least that is better than people doing things like removing the rocks.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    T.ride
    Posts
    1,577
    ...the joys of a big winter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190605_185029_539.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	284826Name:  Screenshot_20190605-184805.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  74.0 KB

    Sent from my S61 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Taos Ski Valley or my truck
    Posts
    492

    Dig stoke, who else likes to play in the dirt???

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EEFB50F0-F21F-4AD9-B690-5E323511CF09.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	285046

    Rough cutting a new project: Valle de Le Bruja.

  7. #307
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,417
    Saw this while reading another article someone posted, pretty funny. Trail runners actually do a fair amount of work around here (while claiming that they do a LOT of work)

    https://www.outsideonline.com/239692...lazy-parasites

    "Anna Zawisza, director of community relations and strategic partnership with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC), the state’s oldest and largest organizer of trail crews, ranks trail-runner turnout right down there with public-trail-riding equestrians"

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,282
    Cutting new trail above Golden



    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Cutting new trail above Golden



    Hand built trail!?!?! My local land managers and trail orgs. tell me this will never work. Won't last more than a week.

    Seriously though, looks great!

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Hand built trail!?!?! My local land managers and trail orgs. tell me this will never work. Won't last more than a week.

    Seriously though, looks great!
    Yep, they are "hand building as much as possible." It won't be a long trail, under a mile, but should be fun once completed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep, they are "hand building as much as possible." It won't be a long trail, under a mile, but should be fun once completed.
    I rode Golden once. We had no idea where we were going but we really enjoyed it. You guys have nice trails with quick access.

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I rode Golden once. We had no idea where we were going but we really enjoyed it. You guys have nice trails with quick access.
    If you listen to the vocal naysayers, the Front Range is "THE WORST PLACE EVER FOR MOUNTAIN BIKERS!!!!" Which yes, it's busy, and yes, we need more trails, and yes, we need directional and bike-only trails, but the local riding around here is really pretty damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,245
    Its always a good day to.build teeter totters

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    For the last 3 years, I've been working on stringing together a long (for Vermont) DH single track off the "Backside" of our little Mtn of Paine here in Nrthfld Vt. I used 1 short existing trail, and a section of fast, buff old road along the narrow ridge and added 3 more sections of primitive single track on natural benches and terraced terrain, as well as 2 climbing trails. Maybe 3-4 miles total trail added in addition to routine trail work on the other existing 15 miles of trail in town in that time. This one East Side project total hours for me maybe 250 hours.

    As a comparison, for a pro crew to come build 3 miles of flow trail would cost $75,000 up to $150,000 dollars. The finished product would be less sustainable. The disturbance to the earth would be infinitely larger. The experience of riding it would be no more flowy, exciting, or quality, and likely far less interesting and engaging. My hourly would be looking pretty good on this project. I could under bid the pros by 2/3 and still make 100 bucks a hour...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVBxYBT-6A&t=4s

    I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. I also like to climb if I'm pedaling, and when I start to roll, I want to roll for as long as I can without pedaling, and with as little braking as possible. For me this is largely what Flow is. This clip is the last 2 sections of trail, about half the total run, 800 vert, 2 miles with basically no pedaling.

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    For the last 3 years, I've been working on stringing together a long (for Vermont) DH single track off the "Backside" of our little Mtn of Paine here in Nrthfld Vt. I used 1 short existing trail, and a section of fast, buff old road along the narrow ridge and added 3 more sections of primitive single track on natural benches and terraced terrain, as well as 2 climbing trails. Maybe 3-4 miles total trail added in addition to routine trail work on the other existing 15 miles of trail in town in that time. This one East Side project total hours for me maybe 250 hours.

    As a comparison, for a pro crew to come build 3 miles of flow trail would cost $75,000 up to $150,000 dollars. The finished product would be less sustainable. The disturbance to the earth would be infinitely larger. The experience of riding it would be no more flowy, exciting, or quality, and likely far less interesting and engaging. My hourly would be looking pretty good on this project. I could under bid the pros by 2/3 and still make 100 bucks a hour...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVBxYBT-6A&t=4s

    I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. .
    I like it. .my terrain is steep. So.much benchcutting and clearing understory debris compared to your forest. Looks fantastic

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,310
    Looks fun Dave.

  17. #317
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,340
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    For the last 3 years, I've been working on stringing together a long (for Vermont) DH single track off the "Backside" of our little Mtn of Paine here in Nrthfld Vt. I used 1 short existing trail, and a section of fast, buff old road along the narrow ridge and added 3 more sections of primitive single track on natural benches and terraced terrain, as well as 2 climbing trails. Maybe 3-4 miles total trail added in addition to routine trail work on the other existing 15 miles of trail in town in that time. This one East Side project total hours for me maybe 250 hours.

    As a comparison, for a pro crew to come build 3 miles of flow trail would cost $75,000 up to $150,000 dollars. The finished product would be less sustainable. The disturbance to the earth would be infinitely larger. The experience of riding it would be no more flowy, exciting, or quality, and likely far less interesting and engaging. My hourly would be looking pretty good on this project. I could under bid the pros by 2/3 and still make 100 bucks a hour...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVBxYBT-6A&t=4s

    I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. I also like to climb if I'm pedaling, and when I start to roll, I want to roll for as long as I can without pedaling, and with as little braking as possible. For me this is largely what Flow is. This clip is the last 2 sections of trail, about half the total run, 800 vert, 2 miles with basically no pedaling.
    That looks like a rad trail. I'm super jealous of your lack of brushy ground level bullshit to hack through.

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    943
    Lovely day in the mud.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_134642.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	286536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_153156.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	286537

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Nice Turnpike. Special kind of fun moving large rocks covered in in wet clay.

  20. #320
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Nice Turnpike. Special kind of fun moving large rocks covered in in wet clay.
    Sounds like you've been there before.

  21. #321
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,417
    With a wet winter and now a couple months of warm temps the brush has exploded here in Socal. Including copious amounts of poison oak. I've spent numerous afternoons and evenings lately cutting back brush and spraying PO. There's nothing more satisfying than coming back a week or two later and seeing that stuff all shriveled up and dying.

  22. #322
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Sounds like you've been there before.
    We built this 10 years ago on an old road that went through a swamp. I think we came in at about 30 bucks a foot. Built a couple stone culverts and crushed tons of rock on site by hand. What did I learn on this project? You don't build a castle in a swamp. Looked great in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  23. #323
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,245
    Cut new reroute. Rode it

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,310
    The first 1/3 of a mile is done, the kids are enjoying it.



    Now for a pump track feature or 4 and some technical moves for me.

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,310
    Link isn't showing up on my computer, but will play on my phone...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •