Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Splitting wood that is not cedar is not as fun. Sometimes I miss the danker forests of my youth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	375688
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	375687  

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Where is this, RoooR?
    It's at a buddy's house. There's some pretty cool projects going in the 5 valleys though.

Also if you like big flow trails I'd take a look at what's going on up at Lakeside. Pretty sick bike park going in up there.

Cool. Nobody is more stoked about the Lakeside park than my 7 year old. Sounds like there might be a shot that the game at a certain Missoula-area mountain is about to change in a big way, too.

Cool. Nobody is more stoked about the Lakeside park than my 7 year old. Sounds like there might be a shot that the game at a certain Missoula-area mountain is about to change in a big way, too.
    I have heard this as well. Apparently necessity is the mother of invention. Not sure how official yet though...

I do kinda wonder how as the population grows it may be worth if for the MTB community to buy some of these 100ish acre lots without houses up Pattee, Grant Creek, Miller, Etc. The forest service won't ever let us build anything new.

Agreed. The most obvious thing I'd like to see right now is biker-friendly singletrack from the end of Orange Street, through the North Hills to the top of Duncan Drive. I know it wouldn't be "rad" but it would still make it so you could ride singletrack from downtown to the Rattlesnake. And this is all city-owned land. You'd think the city would get behind something like this but unfortunately the city hates mountain bikers.

^^^ Borrow some horses, and ride that trail in?

Not exactly dig stoke, but our trail maintenance crews have been disorganized since COVID and state park rules. Got sick of getting hives/pricksrs/ivy and bought a new 40V elec hedge trimmer. So much better than gas one IMO for beating back the jungle we get summer here. Less noise, smell, immediate start and battery lasted long enough for about 3 miles of trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is taking his backyard to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RXS4xZYb8k&t=24s

Had a large tree fall, so we made a reroute and could now incorporate this boulder. Funny when you're building a trail how you get to sections and sometimes take the path of least resistance and plan to incorporate that "section" or "feature" some day. Then when it's forced and you finally do it, you realize you should have done it to begin with!
    So I realigned the short log ride to flow into the new boulder up and over. The two primary ramp rocks were heavy! But it was worth it. Flows nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    I have heard this as well. Apparently necessity is the mother of invention. Not sure how official yet though...
    All but a done deal. Missoula mountain biking just got a LOT better. Hopefully the new owners will let any new trails that need to get built/modified on the parcel get done before they turn it over to the city.

https://missoulacurrent.com/business...untain-buyers/

All but a done deal. Missoula mountain biking just got a LOT better. Hopefully the new owners will let any new trails that need to get built/modified on the parcel get done before they turn it over to the city.

https://missoulacurrent.com/business...untain-buyers/
    That's great news

Fiskars replaced the broken lopper, no questions asked and no hassle. Good company! Not the first time they've shipped out replacement tools to me.

Anybody know about these diamond things? I don't know much about the pics, beyond it's a private build. Do you put another layer of dirt over them so they are not visible? Seems great for erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Anybody know about these diamond things? I don't know much about the pics, beyond it's a private build. Do you put another layer of dirt over them so they are not visible? Seems great for erosion.
    Sorta, they are brick pavers that will allow grass to grow through them... traditionally. I've seen a few bike parks that use them to reinforce berms (and they should use them in the lead up to eliminate brake bumps).
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also called turf blocks. We have some on local trails, they seem to work pretty well to reduce erosion for steep switchbacks with sandy soil that otherwise become blown out messes when the soil dries out. Covering them (beyond the fill in the second pic) kind of defeats the purpose, the idea is to have tires and feet hitting the pavers rather than dirt. Over time you can wind up with erosion around the pavers which results in a lip to get on them, so there may still be some maintenance required. Some (public) land managers won't allow them because they're "unnatural" and get the Sierra Club types upset.

Also seem good for armoring perpetually wet areas once you've done what you can with drainage, particularly if you don't have a good source for rock.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Also called turf blocks. We have some on local trails, they seem to work pretty well to reduce erosion for steep switchbacks with sandy soil that otherwise become blown out messes when the soil dries out. Covering them (beyond the fill in the second pic) kind of defeats the purpose, the idea is to have tires and feet hitting the pavers rather than dirt. Over time you can wind up with erosion around the pavers which results in a lip to get on them, so there may still be some maintenance required. Some (public) land managers won't allow them because they're "unnatural" and get the Sierra Club types upset.

Also seem good for armoring perpetually wet areas once you've done what you can with drainage, particularly if you don't have a good source for rock.
    Yeah, I was thinking it would erode around them creating a lip. I suppose that isn't such a big deal, but I wouldn't want to go down on them. Ouch!

Yeah, I was thinking it would erode around them creating a lip. I suppose that isn't such a big deal, but I wouldn't want to go down on them. Ouch!
    We've used them on some local trails here. Just like they do with any trivial rock in the trail, hoardes of mediocre socal riders seem scared of that lip and end up riding around the line of pavers, so you have to make sure it's a wide enough surface not just a single row of them. The switchback above looks about right. They use them a lot up at Mammoth Mtn where the trail surface is thick kitty litter pumice. I've also seen them used effectively on stream crossings on moto trails in the Sierras. Wish more land managers would embrace them. They're great on high traffic trails with erodible dirt.

I went out again this weekend despite hot temps figuring I'd work early til it got too hot. Wasn't bad the first day, maybe mid 80s with some breeze so I worked til 330. Next day was brutal. Got hot early and was 95 when I got back to the truck shortly after noon. Made lots of progress though.

Before

After

Before

After

And more after shots...you get the idea

Giving an old favorite a little love.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210628_182729.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	378262

Lots of places put them in places that get brake bumps to prevent the formation of holes.

The problem is, places that get brake bumps are... places where people are using the brakes. And those turf blocks don't offer much traction. They're basically just dust on top of concrete. So people start braking earlier because the only place you can slow down is before you hit the pavers. So the brake jack just migrates uphill. And then people start trying to ride around the edges because the whole area turns into a mess.

So I'm of the opinion that pavers / turf blocks are a bad solution. Better off reworking the corner to require less braking. Or just get better suspension and deal with the brake bumps.

The other solution to brake bumps is to put in more turns, especially 3-packs or chicanes (i.e. quick left/right/left) which are just fun to ride. And make the berms in situations like those photos above be steeper / taller, so that people are more willing to just carry speed into it and trust the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The other solution to brake bumps is to put in more turns, especially 3-packs or chicanes (i.e. quick left/right/left) which are just fun to ride. And make the berms in situations like those photos above be steeper / taller, so that people are more willing to just carry speed into it and trust the support.
    Yeah, I dig the chicanes. Super fun! I've built a few and only a couple that flow decently. The others are just janky due to either a poor layout by me and/or trees/terrain since I don't machine build.

Rode some for the first time on an "up" that I guess can be a down also. But made a lot of sense on this up.

[QUOTE=evdog;6336194]Fiskars replaced the broken lopper, no questions asked and no hassle. Good company! Not the first time they've shipped out replacement tools to me. &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;In which type of tools they deal ? I am looking for perfect sprinkler system for my garden ?

Fiskars makes garden and yard tools. You'll have to go to the TGR gardening subforum for your sprinkler system needs.