Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    you scratching out a new trail there? that stump would make a great step down or drop

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Yeah right after the bridge. Agreed on complaining but everyone I rode with, even beginners enjoyed the challenge of making that section. My guess is they got bored and wanted something to do on a build day
    It’s funny because I was just talking to a friend about how Sandy keeps getting better and better but what it most desperately needs is an alternate climbing route to the road. Ah well I can’t talk. I’ve never volunteered there, mostly just at RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Is this right after the bridge? I loved that spot. I truly cannot imagine the thinking that leads to this. At least it looks like the roots are just covered and the soil might wear back down to expose them again...?

Edit: I do usually hate when people complain about trail builders but this leaves me baffled. I hope this doesn't portend machine smoothing of the more natural upper trails.
    Those roots will back in no time.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I finally got my lady out to work on my newest project. It turns out that she really likes bench cutting, especially when the dirt is oh-so-nice like right now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211031_150258.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	391064
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

My favorite local ride where I've done a lot of work is going before the planning board for a development proposal this week. Over the years we've expanded this to about 15 miles of tech. Small network, but it beats the shit out of you in a great fun way. The whole thing is not up for development, but my favorite section is. I'm really hoping it gets denied, but who knows. It's all ledge and will certainly cost a fortune to develop, but the developer has deep pockets.

So we keep working on the outskirts where it won't be developed. Currently rerouting and adding another mile or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    My favorite local ride where I've done a lot of work is going before the planning board for a development proposal this week. Over the years we've expanded this to about 15 miles of tech. Small network, but it beats the shit out of you in a great fun way. The whole thing is not up for development, but my favorite section is. I'm really hoping it gets denied, but who knows. It's all ledge and will certainly cost a fortune to develop, but the developer has deep pockets.

So we keep working on the outskirts where it won't be developed. Currently rerouting and adding another mile or so.
    Make a stink at the board meetings and see if you can get it in the conditions of approval that the developer must allow for or provide mixed use trails as an amenity to the community. Contrary to popular belief, developers arent evil and many enjoy the same shit we do and would think it a cool ammenity to have MTB/nature trails right out the front door. We currently have a giant masterplan community that we are engineering for that is actively courting outdoorsy home buyers by working with (and paying) the local MTB trail advocacy chapter to put in a local network of trails to serve the development.

^yeah, that's cool.

Problem is we know this developer and they're complete assholes...brothers. He made all his start up money selling coke in the 80's. More to the story on a personal note, from two of us builders actually, but I'd just assume see the guy drop dead than work with him. He's pretty much everything that is wrong in a human.

End of season tune-ups. Love fall - best time for building here in the California Sierra

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

^That looks sweet!

It's the best time for us to build also. All the wet spots stand out since the vegetation is on its winter's nap.

The local planning board comments were quite harsh on the development plan where our trails are, so round one appears to be a win for us Long battle ahead...

I made a bunch more progress on my canyon DH trail today. It was fun to go out for the whole day and just wear myself out tearing up sage and moving rocks. It needs a lot more work to be ready but I think it will flow well and will be a nice addition to the neighborhood network.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211117-143859_Textra.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	393096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211117_152949.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	393097
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Dirts been so good to work with!

Always hated this flat turn, threw in a berm and changed the entry a lil bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	394249

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	394250

Another flat turn that needed a berm.

Name:	IMG_8284.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	394251

This section was super wonky after the fire 2 years ago. Not completely yet, but better.

Name:	IMG_8275.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	394252

Anther area that had a ton of erosion, build some retaining walls and filled em in.

Name:	IMG_8194.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	394253

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^nice! A little berm to set your tires makes a world of fundifference on flat shallow radius turns.

Sweet turns Meter-man and Skilyft. That fresh dirt on this whole page sure looks good.

Here's a link to Utah Mountain Biking's write up on the system we have been working on this last year and will continue next season.
    https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/t...upper-zion.htm
    dirtbag, not a dentist

^^ that’s rad @arizona whole lotta hard work on that project!

Back at it — god hero dirt for throwing around.

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	394447

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Here's a link to Utah Mountain Biking's write up on the system we have been working on this last year and will continue next season.
    You have to admire Bruce's commitment to late-'90s website formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

Looking forward to riding your work the next time I'm down that way. Our local builder has a contract somewhere down there this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You have to admire Bruce's commitment to late-'90s website formatting.
    lol....but for real
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Looking forward to riding your work the next time I'm down that way. Our local builder has a contract somewhere down there this winter.
    It's not just my work, it took an army to get that stuff done but thank you.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

First frost this morning in a long long while. With temps and snow in the forecast likely will be done digging until spring.

Stoked with how these couple of turns came together!!

Name:	IMG_0240.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	395110

Name:	IMG_0241.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	395111

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	395112

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	395113

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    First frost this morning in a long long while. With temps and snow in the forecast likely will be done digging until spring.

Stoked with how these couple of turns came together!!

Thanks for all your hard work! I’m hoping to give it another ride before the snow hits

Finished roughing in a .88 mile adder to our network this weekend. Still have a good amount of rock work and some tweaks here and there, but we're pretty stoked because it's rideable! New trails are always so brutal to ride...can't wait till it's frozen solid so it doesn't feel so spongy.

Got out and worked the new line after the rain. Have a nice natural jump line down, but the entire trail rides both ways like all of our local trails (because we're at the beach with no vert). But we do have relatively short punchy ups and downs and in this instance the down is fun, but the straight up sucked so I built a specific "up" line which is way better.
    Building trail is fun! The world needs ditch diggers too! And man I hate my desk job!

Blow downs and fine tuning the new. Several more hours of fine tuning to get the adder complete.

Heavy rain on Thursday and Friday followed by bluebird skies on the weekend is our worst case scenario in Socal since the "dirt was prime / I didn't leave any ruts" weekend warrior crowd can't wait a day to ride. We only get 350 sunny days a year here, after all.

Fortunately rain stopped early this morning so trails had most of the day to dry a bit before the masses descend upon them tomorrow. I normally try to get out ahead of first storms to clear drains but didn't this year. They held up pretty well. I spent the afternoon mucking around cleaning drains, draining puddles and doing random touch ups. Perils of life here, I was getting dive bombed by mosquitos at dusk on Xmas eve.

Name:	PXL_20211225_012718633.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	398050

Name:	PXL_20211225_012708783.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	398052

Name:	PXL_20211225_013755616.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	398051

Christmas stoke!

Funny, I've had a Travis tool on order since June...still not here and my kids gave me one for Christmas obviously not knowing i had one backordered. Soon I'll have two to share with friends!