Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    I thought this was pretty great.

https://youtu.be/nsdTobsYTDE
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I thought this was pretty great.

https://youtu.be/nsdTobsYTDE
    No Dig No Ride

Well done.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

We had a ramp rot out. You can wheelie off this, but it's slightly uphill/ flat after a bit of a beat down techy up, so I rebuilt this one. One trail and one adder planned at the moment for this fall. Hoping my Travis tool ships soon.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Giving an old favorite a little love.

Attachment 378262
    Ah, this may answer my question from the other thread. Nice work!

TAMBA is doing some good work doing post Caldor Fire cleanup in South Lake. I saw a trail crew working in the firebreak in our neighborhood re-establishing trail that was dozered so I grabbed a rake and helped them out. There are many miles of trail that will need to be rebuilt but it's pretty easy -- just flag it and scratch it out so people know where to go so we don't end up with lots of confused conflicting trails. There is no vegetation to clear at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	388310
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

That brings a whole new meaning to "rake and ride."

Can someone please explain why groups like Great Old Broads for Wilderness are so opposed to trail development in already disturbed areas claiming they disagree with the Bureau of Land Management findings of a trail reroute in the Boise foothills of no significant environmental impact? Are they just the groups of angry hikers that feel like they've somehow been wronged by mountain bikers?

Hateful old hikers hate everything. Especially anyone who enjoys the outdoors differently than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Hateful old <people> hate everything. Especially anyone who enjoys the <anything> differently than they do.
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    FTFY
    Yeah, true. I've had more issues with mtn bikers than any other group. The old bikers (shit I'm old and have been riding probably longer than them) have this innate, so it seems, need to keep trails, including new, like it's 1987. Drives me nuts that they cannot see the progression and speed involved with new bikes and younger kids ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, true. I've had more issues with mtn bikers than any other group. The old bikers (shit I'm old and have been riding probably longer than them) have this innate, so it seems, need to keep trails, including new, like it's 1987. Drives me nuts that they cannot see the progression and speed involved with new bikes and younger kids ripping.
    87 was more like biking on hand made hiking trail. That same old fun stuff is even more fun with the bike progression. Guess it's all regional but, all this new fast flow is a bit one-dimensional.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    87 was more like biking on hand made hiking trail. That same old fun stuff is even more fun with the bike progression. Guess it's all regional but, all this new fast flow is a bit one-dimensional.
    If all their is, is one style of trail, then yes it will be one-dimensional. In 87, riding handmade hiking trail as the only option made trails pretty one-dimensional. When the northshore janky skinny boom took off it made riding pretty one-dimensional but less so because you still had the existing backcountry hiking type trails. Now we have added flow trails, jump trails and downhill track-type trails. If you don't like what is currently being built as new trail, odds are that there are a bunch of existing trails of a different style already in the area. If all that gets built is the kind of trail that "YOU" or "I" like, then the riding would be pretty one-dimensional.

Here in the PNW, our local trail org is currently getting shit for recently building too much single black raw loamer type trails and not enough green and blue flow trail for beginners. Can't please everyone.

FTFY
    This is certainly true, but there's a sizeable percentage of the "hateful old hiker" contingent that even hates trail running--anyone not walking <2 mph enthralled in rapt reverence while carrying a copy of Muir's memoirs can fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This is certainly true, but there's a sizeable percentage of the "hateful old hiker" contingent that even hates trail running--anyone not walking <2 mph enthralled in rapt reverence while carrying a copy of Muir's memoirs can fuck right off.
    Yeah, them and horse people are definitely fighting for the crown of King Funhater.

Yeah, them and horse people are definitely fighting for the crown of King Funhater.
    They are good for a cringe-worthy laugh sometimes. SLC is in the process of trying to build a proper trail system in the foothills. Construction started in the spring and the HOHs have managed to get the whole thing shut down for the foreseeable future. One of their main complaints is that the hiking-only and multi-use trails aren't steep enough. It's completely lost on them that everything is being built at 5% grade because they've spent decades screeching about overly-steep trails, erosion and sustainability.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    I build what the terrain gives me, but I never purposely kill speed if I don't have to. Everyone that knows my builds would laugh if you said, "flow". I'm trying really hard to incorporate flow where possible though. Tech and flow create a great trail imo, but many people hate tech because of their comfort level which is smart and justified. And to Caligrown point, we just built a "green" trail. It is important to build all levels, again, if the terrain supports it.

I build what the terrain gives me, but I never purposely kill speed if I don't have to. Everyone that knows my builds would laugh if you said, "flow". I'm trying really hard to incorporate flow where possible though. Tech and flow create a great trail imo, but many people hate tech because of their comfort level which is smart and justified. And to Caligrown point, we just built a "green" trail. It is important to build all levels, again, if the terrain supports it.
    Tech flow trails are the holy grail. So much fun, but so hard to build well. Kudos to anyone who builds a good one.

And to Caligrown point, we just built a "green" trail. It is important to build all levels, again, if the terrain supports it.
    I think its a fine lane to straddle between building more of what "the people want" vs. building more of what is missing from the current available trails. Whatever kind of trail you built there will be people that are stoked to have that kind of new trail, and people that are bummed you didnt build the kind of trail they wanted.

I like to think of flow as something that is always there, but sometimes harder to find than others. If you can't find the flow, don't blame the trail, work harder at finding it. Finding flow on a trail that doesn't give it up easily is highly rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I like to think of flow as something that is always there, but sometimes harder to find than others. If you can't find the flow, don't blame the trail, work harder at finding it. Finding flow on a trail that doesn't give it up easily is highly rewarding.
    This is so true in many cases! We have tree issues, so unless we're cutting, which we never do on unsanctioned, it is obviously difficult to achieve. But to your point, I've had riders show me "flow" on a trail that was not flowy! They're much better riders than me and have opened my eyes to what is possible. Need to keep pushing and progressing as a builder and the young guns open your eyes to possibilities otherwise not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They are good for a cringe-worthy laugh sometimes. SLC is in the process of trying to build a proper trail system in the foothills. Construction started in the spring and the HOHs have managed to get the whole thing shut down for the foreseeable future. One of their main complaints is that the hiking-only and multi-use trails aren't steep enough. It's completely lost on them that everything is being built at 5% grade because they've spent decades screeching about overly-steep trails, erosion and sustainability.
    Ah, the old point A to point B hiker argument. They are all about a destination and the work out getting there but not so much about the actual hike itself or beautiful trail construction. They don't understand modern day trail construction. Ask em how many days a year they can show up to maintain there rain gutter fall line mess of a trail. Let em know they are going to have to spend a whole lotta time digging borrow pits to refill their trench. tunes often change if you throw that at them.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Tech flow trails are the holy grail. So much fun, but so hard to build well. Kudos to anyone who builds a good one.
    Tech flow? Do we have any examples of one? Any pics or vid we can post up?

I generally build whatever the terrain dictates or calls for. The mountain is usually right and I don't see any need trying to force something that isn't really there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Hateful old hikers hate everything. Especially anyone who enjoys the outdoors differently than they do.
    Yup. 100%. Standard old person bigotry.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

There's a lot of that. There's nothing like being out building, professionally or volunteering and having a rider come through giving ya shit about it. Like why not just spit in my face. You gotta develop a thick skin as a trail builder. Let the haters hate!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I really love riding and building flow trail stuff. I've been getting my daughter back out on the bike again after a 5 year break and she really enjoys a shuttle-able flow trail. Those sort of fun and not so intimidating experiences can really get people into riding and although they may not technically challenge a more seasoned rider they still are a ton of fun. After riding here and in Sedona for almost 20 years now I really enjoy trails where I feel like I can tune out a bit instead of rolling slow with my eyes glued to the ground ten feet in front of my tire.
    dirtbag, not a dentist