Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 726 to 750 of 762
  1. #726
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    Nickels and dimes.


  2. #727
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    New trail addition has this perfect rock...the backside was sheer to flat. A little hardwood to help out on the exit and make it rideable both ways. Wee bit sketchy.

  3. #728
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,275
    Question for diggers: is there some good reason to use a leaf blower on a trail?

    I feel like I've seen people debate leaves, but I've never seen anyone blow all the dust up into the woods until today. Seemed like a good way to get to July early, but as a digging JONG I figured better to ask than to go all Leroy Jenkins on the topic. Thanks!

  4. #729
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    943
    Why not just use a rake?

  5. #730
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,275
    They did that, too. Maybe the dust cloud is to keep people out of the work zone?

  6. #731
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Question for diggers: is there some good reason to use a leaf blower on a trail?

    I feel like I've seen people debate leaves, but I've never seen anyone blow all the dust up into the woods until today. Seemed like a good way to get to July early, but as a digging JONG I figured better to ask than to go all Leroy Jenkins on the topic. Thanks!
    desired trail surface can be due to lots of variables, with leaves its usually more about the resulting moisture or usage levels than the actual leaves being on the trail, but a few examples of times ive blown out leaves...

    limit water on trails with easily damaged and overused tread

    highly used urban trail centers before winter freeze so that come spring the trail will thaw faster and open up sooner

    to remove acorns on highly used hardpack trails, which is like riding on marbles and just plain not fun

    to remove trimmings after clearing brush from the sides of overgrown trails

    to blow out dust on highly used flow trails in the summer

    to blow off leaves before shuttle days in the fall

    generally if the leaves will degrade into loam they are left on the trail, but due to overuse or other variables sometimes thats not reality and being proactive to control the trail can be a better approach than letting nature take its course

    it could also be someone who thinks they are being a helpful volunteer and not really adding any value to the trail and just wasting time and making a mess, which isnt unheard of with trailbuilders...

  7. #732
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,275
    Thanks, that suggests a few things I wouldn't have thought of. Sounds like it's someplace between the last two around here just now, but these are fairly high use trails suddenly, so maybe preemptive is the plan.

  8. #733
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Question for diggers: is there some good reason to use a leaf blower on a trail?

    I feel like I've seen people debate leaves, but I've never seen anyone blow all the dust up into the woods until today. Seemed like a good way to get to July early, but as a digging JONG I figured better to ask than to go all Leroy Jenkins on the topic. Thanks!
    Interesting you posted this. There was a "trailwork" day today locally that we stumbled upon. Its organized on FB, which I'm not on. Anyway, one guy was blowing this shit out of a trail. I personally found it odd. Granted we've had a lot of wind and a noreaster lately, so the trails have a lot of crap, but not piles of leaves like in the fall.

    I use leaf blowers for new builds and very selective light blowing in the fall.

    This time of year on established trails is just odd, not necessary, and possibly bad for the trail imo.

  9. #734
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    I think I'm finished. Will need a touch up, but I'm done. Could also be 2' higher, but I need an excavator. Started this last summer while building the new trail.
    Last edited by jackstraw; 04-29-2021 at 04:48 PM.

  10. #735
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,493
    On to PO step 2, behead the remains

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210427_023822688.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	373038

  11. #736
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,373
    Reworked a corner tonight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9127.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	373064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9126.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	373065

  12. #737
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    Opened this feature today. We built the trail past it knowing we'd incorporate a side hit. Little gap one side, roller the other

  13. #738
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    ^I tried to make this better, but I'm not happy with it. Oh well. The more you build, the more you learn.

  14. #739
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703


    Well worth watching. Natural jank Finnish trail then self filmed

  15. #740
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post


    Well worth watching. Natural jank Finnish trail then self filmed
    Wow. That's a lot of work in rough terrain. It will be interesting to see if he keeps going and makes a nice network out of it.

  16. #741
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,493
    Headed up to the mountains today to work on some neglected trail. This area burned in 2013 and was under closure order for 4-5 years. Huge bummer as there was a killer network and a planning process was underway to adopt many of the trails. A year after the forest re-opened locals were just getting a few trails back in shape when some asshole thought it would be a good idea to fire flares up onto a hillside covered in sage/chaparral. The second fire burned everything the first one missed, and then some. Fortunately the second closure was only for a year, but the toll on trails has been severe. A lot are gone completely, no trace left whatsoever. A handful are back and running. A few others still exist but are in very poor shape. I scouted some of those last month and then headed up today to start work clearing one of them. It has seen minimal traffic since 2013.


    Before. Tread still exists below the wall of brush, straight ahead. Had to mark it with ribbon to stay on track.



    After




    I was about 2/3 of the way to my goal for the day when this happened. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty lol.




    Limped through a bit more cutting then switched and cleaned up some of the tread.




    Also cleaned up this entrance to a wash crossing that was badly rutted. Can't do much with the dirt right now but at least the rut is gone. Got about 1/3 mile total brushed. There is another 2/3 mile to go on this trail and then similar distance on a trail above this to bring this ride back. Perfect day, temps never got above 60.


  17. #742
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,167
    Re: the leaf blower, it isn't 'just' for getting things off the trail... after you cut a trail, sometimes you want to renaturalize it..... so you blow leaves back over the cut, then just blow off a tighter single track.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  18. #743
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Headed up to the mountains today to work on some neglected trail. This area burned in 2013 and was under closure order for 4-5 years. Huge bummer as there was a killer network and a planning process was underway to adopt many of the trails. A year after the forest re-opened locals were just getting a few trails back in shape when some asshole thought it would be a good idea to fire flares up onto a hillside covered in sage/chaparral. The second fire burned everything the first one missed, and then some. Fortunately the second closure was only for a year, but the toll on trails has been severe. A lot are gone completely, no trace left whatsoever. A handful are back and running. A few others still exist but are in very poor shape. I scouted some of those last month and then headed up today to start work clearing one of them. It has seen minimal traffic since 2013.


    Before. Tread still exists below the wall of brush, straight ahead. Had to mark it with ribbon to stay on track.



    After




    I was about 2/3 of the way to my goal for the day when this happened. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty lol.




    Limped through a bit more cutting then switched and cleaned up some of the tread.




    Also cleaned up this entrance to a wash crossing that was badly rutted. Can't do much with the dirt right now but at least the rut is gone. Got about 1/3 mile total brushed. There is another 2/3 mile to go on this trail and then similar distance on a trail above this to bring this ride back. Perfect day, temps never got above 60.

    It's crazy to me how fast nature will reclaim trails if use pauses for even a year or two. It kind of makes me question the massive environmental review that's required on a lot of these projects.

    Nice work on getting that stuff back up and running.

  19. #744
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    177
    This line is coming in nicely. Using an old road cut for a step-up to 180 berm.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210521_013052167.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	375220

  20. #745
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's crazy to me how fast nature will reclaim trails if use pauses for even a year or two. It kind of makes me question the massive environmental review that's required on a lot of these projects.
    Thanks, and agreed on the environmental review. A single hand built trail or re-routes should be below scope for a full review. Walk it with the biologist and maybe an archaeologist depending on the area. Adjust the design if needed, then go build.

    For major trail additions (and dirt freeways like above) sure, since those will bring in a lot more people and probably include upgraded facilities or trailhead parking.

  21. #746
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,101
    Lol, $200 fine...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1401.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	393.4 KB 
ID:	375312

  22. #747
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,693
    We're almost done with the first part of this big mount dean stone project. Hopefully all we've built will be open in june sometime

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210525_181253194.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	772.8 KB 
ID:	375612

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210525_194002479_HDR.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	375613

  23. #748
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    949
    Jamal, thanks for being a leader in the local MTB community. It is appreciated.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  24. #749
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,776
    Taking advantage of this rain

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	375619

  25. #750
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Making the Bowl Great Again
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    This line is coming in nicely. Using an old road cut for a step-up to 180 berm.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210521_013052167.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	375220
    Where is this, RoooR?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •