Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Tech flow? Do we have any examples of one? Any pics or vid we can post up?

I generally build whatever the terrain dictates or calls for. The mountain is usually right and I don't see any need trying to force something that isn't really there.
    Obviously means something different to everyone, but I'd call schleyer at Whistler a good example of tech flow. It's rocky, and line choice matters, but if you get it right, there are smooth lines to be found and you can carry your speed well without a lot of hard braking or pedaling to get back up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Obviously means something different to everyone, but I'd call schleyer at Whistler a good example of tech flow. It's rocky, and line choice matters, but if you get it right, there are smooth lines to be found and you can carry your speed well without a lot of hard braking or pedaling to get back up to speed.
    I love that trail. Yeah, that's how I like to build a hand built dh trail. It's a mix of jack and flow.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Primary criteria for me is few, if any, super-tight switchbacks that require coming to almost a complete stop to negotiate. Second criteria is few, if any, grade reversals that require more than a few shifter clicks.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-19-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Portal, last single-track of Porc Rim in Moab, Original Sin/No Joke/Ride Don't Slide in the Whistler Bike Park, the original descending portion of Hangover in Sedona, Boogieman on Seymour, ... that's some good times tech-jank descending.

Personally I enjoy tight turns here and there but not if its a trail that's meant to cater only to riders who only know how to ride one kind of style and have little to no slow speed skills (this describes a lot of riders)

We have a lot of granite boulders, whalebacks, and spines, so we aim for those on the builds which is the tech. Between those features is decent single track and I've been trying to build faster sweeping 'flow' turns whenever the terrain allows. Our next build should potentially be the flowiest trail to date. But until you get going and see what's below the leaf mulch we won't know. We have a lot of sharks at and just below the surface, so for a trail to be and stay buff it take a lot of luck or a lot of dig work.

I don't have many pics and I think bike pics are horrible (mine anyway) in that it looks way easy in the pic. Anyway, this flow berm is on the most technical trail in the whole network. Just getting to this is very difficult, so most people haven't ridden it. Then it leads to the steep drop pic that continues to a speed turn into a drop air. Super fun line. Then the rest of the trail kinda beats you up tech wise.

Last edited by jackstraw; 10-19-2021 at 05:56 PM.

That terrain looks super fun to build in Jackstraw. That's definitely the kind of stuff I enjoy the most. We've been doing some builds that have both machine and hand built sections thrown into a single trail. I like it when you sort of utilize different styles into one trail and make it all come together. I kind of like all of it honestly. Flow, tech and even mellow xc all can have an art to them. I totally geek out for trail building!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Is Captain Ahab this tech flow you speak of?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Best techy flow trail I can think of that I’ve ridden:

https://youtu.be/J_P9iCl3bc4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Is Captain Ahab this tech flow you speak of?
    Yup. The lower half at least.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Best techy flow trail I can think of that I’ve ridden:

https://youtu.be/J_P9iCl3bc4

It has to be downhill to have flow though...

That terrain looks super fun to build in Jackstraw. That's definitely the kind of stuff I enjoy the most. We've been doing some builds that have both machine and hand built sections thrown into a single trail. I like it when you sort of utilize different styles into one trail and make it all come together. I kind of like all of it honestly. Flow, tech and even mellow xc all can have an art to them. I totally geek out for trail building!
    Agree, I like it all, but my favorite is tech with fast sweeping turns thrown in here and there. That's my utopia.

Edit to add that my 'lunch' ride spot is super easy terrain, so the trails are naturally easy. In that network I specifically added a lot more twisty and tighter turns to add some degree of difficulty or fun to it. I also aimed for every downed tree available and turned them into a skinny as an option. At the same time I have a few just fast wide open turn trails. It's a pretty good mix, but not tech. A lot of people bring their kids and beginners out there and really enjoy it.

Worth the effort today. Went out to repair a few corners and found a nice truffle while digging near Portland. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634947219.122419.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	389945

I generally build whatever the terrain dictates or calls for. The mountain is usually right and I don't see any need trying to force something that isn't really there.
    https://youtu.be/cfbGxRvMgCE

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    It has to be downhill to have flow though...
    This is downhill, he was walking up the trail. Though I generally disagree that it has to be all downhill to have flow

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    This is downhill, he was walking up the trail. Though I generally disagree that it has to be all downhill to have flow
    What is Flow? That would be a great thread for mtn bike kooks . That one could go on like the leaf blow arguments.

I do dig a fast trail that speed checks you with a fast turny up section. Super fun.

Had to patch a berm after someone crashed through the “support” and took out all the jank log fill on the backside. It’s a special bonus working an area with tons of poison oak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2877.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	390234

Here in the PNW, our local trail org is currently getting shit for recently building too much single black raw loamer type trails and not enough green and blue flow trail for beginners. Can't please everyone.
    Name:  Trailforks.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  26.6 KB

Meanwhile a 1 mile machine built flow/jump trail had just opened, another 1.5 mile machine built flow trail is about to open, and there is literally 7.5 miles of flow trail already at the two places mentioned in that persons comment.

Name:  Trailforks.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  26.6 KB

Meanwhile a 1 mile machine built flow/jump trail had just opened, another 1.5 mile machine built flow trail is about to open, and there is literally 7.5 miles of flow trail already at the two places mentioned in that persons comment.
    Amazing, they should go ride Sandy then where many are complaining about the latest trail work day where they paved over the only technical climb section in the network.

Photo from the webz

Name:	Image1635459255.964771.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	390680

Dig stoke, who else likes to play in the dirt???

^^^ Wtf? Bikes are more capable than ever yet everything is a dirt road.

Accidentally posted this in the duplicate thread earlier. Trail sanitizers out in force trying to ruin this small Little Rock move up/downhill at my local. Everything else is green/blue, this is about the only black rated trail w signs stating such and people still do this nonsense.

Last edited by VTskibum; 10-28-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Nor'easter took this one down. I'll turn it into a nice little skinny.

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	390804

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Amazing, they should go ride Sandy then where many are complaining about the latest trail work day where they paved over the only technical climb section in the network.

Photo from the webz

Name:	Image1635459255.964771.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	390680
    Is this right after the bridge? I loved that spot. I truly cannot imagine the thinking that leads to this. At least it looks like the roots are just covered and the soil might wear back down to expose them again...?

Edit: I do usually hate when people complain about trail builders but this leaves me baffled. I hope this doesn't portend machine smoothing of the more natural upper trails.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	390804
    Spookies?

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Is this right after the bridge? I loved that spot. I truly cannot imagine the thinking that leads to this. At least it looks like the roots are just covered and the soil might wear back down to expose them again...?

Edit: I do usually hate when people complain about trail builders but this leaves me baffled. I hope this doesn't portend machine smoothing of the more natural upper trails.
    Yeah right after the bridge. Agreed on complaining but everyone I rode with, even beginners enjoyed the challenge of making that section. My guess is they got bored and wanted something to do on a build day

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Spookies?
    No, but nice guess. Pretending like I never read that on the internet