Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Been digging a lot around the house to have an option For the kids without getting in the car..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6664.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	284572

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Not real trailwork but did a couple rides today to check out how overgrown the trails are. The answer - pretty overgrown on some side trails. Lots of rain plus warming temps have caused brush to explode. Lots of poison oak too. And some downed trees to cut out. Will be back to do some trimming!

Ride #2 at another area I babysit. Somewhat overgrown and only a little PO. I seem to spend a lot more time here undoing the stupid shit that other people do - b-lines around every trivial rock; shortcuts; cairns; sanitizing lines.

Not sure why cairns annoy me so much but I always remove them. This is a very obvious intersection unless your head is too far up your ass to notice all the tire tracks turning onto the trail.

Much better...

The dirt in this area is very erodable. Here the trail used to be level with the top of these two rocks but has been worn away to the point where its very hard to get through here. This is the very top of a steep switchback. Both rocks are embedded and won't budge so I'll probably build up a ramp/platform in between them to ride over. Everyone here seems to freak out at rocks so I'm sure that will be as big of a problem as the narrow squeeze.

Around the next corner people is a b-line that formed because the smooth rock line on the left is SO SCARY!!! I've been blocking and re-blocking the cheater line for a couple years. Going to get a group out and plunk a huge boulder on that line that can't be moved. I know, first world problems and I shouldn't care but people are so fucking lame here, every trivial rock has to have a go round. Fuck them....

The trail here went up and over this little roller on the left. The horror! Of course a line through the gap formed immediately. I've been meaning to plug it with a ramp so people are forced onto a rock roll.

Last edited by evdog; 06-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Loam berms reconditioned

I see the same thing, constant ride arounds of rock features, to the point where the actual feature becomes unrideable because the detour has compressed the dirt so much you end up with a big ledge, instead of just a roll. But then the same thing seems to happen with every rooty section. But it is going to happen unless there is only one possible line, at least that is better than people doing things like removing the rocks.

...the joys of a big winter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190605_185029_539.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	284826Name:  Screenshot_20190605-184805.jpeg
Views: 628
Size:  74.0 KB

Sent from my S61 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Dig stoke, who else likes to play in the dirt???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EEFB50F0-F21F-4AD9-B690-5E323511CF09.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	285046

Rough cutting a new project: Valle de Le Bruja.

Saw this while reading another article someone posted, pretty funny. Trail runners actually do a fair amount of work around here (while claiming that they do a LOT of work)

https://www.outsideonline.com/239692...lazy-parasites

"Anna Zawisza, director of community relations and strategic partnership with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC), the state’s oldest and largest organizer of trail crews, ranks trail-runner turnout right down there with public-trail-riding equestrians"

Cutting new trail above Golden

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Cutting new trail above Golden

Hand built trail!?!?! My local land managers and trail orgs. tell me this will never work. Won't last more than a week.

Seriously though, looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Hand built trail!?!?! My local land managers and trail orgs. tell me this will never work. Won't last more than a week.

Seriously though, looks great!
    Yep, they are "hand building as much as possible." It won't be a long trail, under a mile, but should be fun once completed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep, they are "hand building as much as possible." It won't be a long trail, under a mile, but should be fun once completed.
    I rode Golden once. We had no idea where we were going but we really enjoyed it. You guys have nice trails with quick access.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I rode Golden once. We had no idea where we were going but we really enjoyed it. You guys have nice trails with quick access.
    If you listen to the vocal naysayers, the Front Range is "THE WORST PLACE EVER FOR MOUNTAIN BIKERS!!!!" Which yes, it's busy, and yes, we need more trails, and yes, we need directional and bike-only trails, but the local riding around here is really pretty damn good.

Its always a good day to.build teeter totters

For the last 3 years, I've been working on stringing together a long (for Vermont) DH single track off the "Backside" of our little Mtn of Paine here in Nrthfld Vt. I used 1 short existing trail, and a section of fast, buff old road along the narrow ridge and added 3 more sections of primitive single track on natural benches and terraced terrain, as well as 2 climbing trails. Maybe 3-4 miles total trail added in addition to routine trail work on the other existing 15 miles of trail in town in that time. This one East Side project total hours for me maybe 250 hours.

As a comparison, for a pro crew to come build 3 miles of flow trail would cost $75,000 up to $150,000 dollars. The finished product would be less sustainable. The disturbance to the earth would be infinitely larger. The experience of riding it would be no more flowy, exciting, or quality, and likely far less interesting and engaging. My hourly would be looking pretty good on this project. I could under bid the pros by 2/3 and still make 100 bucks a hour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVBxYBT-6A&t=4s

I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. I also like to climb if I'm pedaling, and when I start to roll, I want to roll for as long as I can without pedaling, and with as little braking as possible. For me this is largely what Flow is. This clip is the last 2 sections of trail, about half the total run, 800 vert, 2 miles with basically no pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    For the last 3 years, I've been working on stringing together a long (for Vermont) DH single track off the "Backside" of our little Mtn of Paine here in Nrthfld Vt. I used 1 short existing trail, and a section of fast, buff old road along the narrow ridge and added 3 more sections of primitive single track on natural benches and terraced terrain, as well as 2 climbing trails. Maybe 3-4 miles total trail added in addition to routine trail work on the other existing 15 miles of trail in town in that time. This one East Side project total hours for me maybe 250 hours.

As a comparison, for a pro crew to come build 3 miles of flow trail would cost $75,000 up to $150,000 dollars. The finished product would be less sustainable. The disturbance to the earth would be infinitely larger. The experience of riding it would be no more flowy, exciting, or quality, and likely far less interesting and engaging. My hourly would be looking pretty good on this project. I could under bid the pros by 2/3 and still make 100 bucks a hour...

I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. .
    I like it. .my terrain is steep. So.much benchcutting and clearing understory debris compared to your forest. Looks fantastic

Looks fun Dave.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I'm stoked with how it rides. I hate how many trail builders turn through the fall line. Riding long sections of side hill feel more natural to me on a bike, like surfing a wave. I also like to climb if I'm pedaling, and when I start to roll, I want to roll for as long as I can without pedaling, and with as little braking as possible. For me this is largely what Flow is. This clip is the last 2 sections of trail, about half the total run, 800 vert, 2 miles with basically no pedaling.
    That looks like a rad trail. I'm super jealous of your lack of brushy ground level bullshit to hack through.

Lovely day in the mud.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_134642.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	286536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_153156.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	286537

Nice Turnpike. Special kind of fun moving large rocks covered in in wet clay.

Nice Turnpike. Special kind of fun moving large rocks covered in in wet clay.
    Sounds like you've been there before.

With a wet winter and now a couple months of warm temps the brush has exploded here in Socal. Including copious amounts of poison oak. I've spent numerous afternoons and evenings lately cutting back brush and spraying PO. There's nothing more satisfying than coming back a week or two later and seeing that stuff all shriveled up and dying.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Sounds like you've been there before.
    We built this 10 years ago on an old road that went through a swamp. I think we came in at about 30 bucks a foot. Built a couple stone culverts and crushed tons of rock on site by hand. What did I learn on this project? You don't build a castle in a swamp. Looked great in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cut new reroute. Rode it

The first 1/3 of a mile is done, the kids are enjoying it.

Now for a pump track feature or 4 and some technical moves for me.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Link isn't showing up on my computer, but will play on my phone...

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com