Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Rerouting a problem section with some berms. Teeter totters to go in later

New toy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    New toy.
    I like those. Got three with two stashed on trails. Would like fibreglass handles though.

In use for a loam berm

local park got some smoothing love yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	811.9 KB 
ID:	238058

city finally gave me my own water hookup so can stack some lips to fix the rolled over ones although its ridden by mostly kids so kinda a losing battle...

Name:	IMG_1193.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	965.4 KB 
ID:	238059

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I like those. Got three with two stashed on trails. Would like fibreglass handles though.

In use for a loam berm
    Funny, as this tool received bad reviews about the handle breaking. I'm going to try and go light with it. Just grabbed a sledge to stash in the woods also. Those are great for the annoying granite sharks we have around here.

Funny, as this tool received bad reviews about the handle breaking. I'm going to try and go light with it. Just grabbed a sledge to stash in the woods also. Those are great for the annoying granite sharks we have around here.
    I've got a few of those with the fiberglass handle that are a few years old. So far, so good, aside from the rake tongs bending occasionally. Of all the various tools I have, I break wood handles far more often than fiberglass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think if you break a mcleod handle you're not using it as heavy rake/hoe but rather a light pick/mattock. I bet most breaks happen because people are expecting too much. Kinda like breaking a shovel because you are using it as a rock bar.

Yeah, I have one of those Nuplo McLeods with the fiberglass handle and it's fine for what it is but it's definitely lightweight. Use a mattock or Pulaski for any prying or chopping.

If you want something a little heavier duty these are pretty nice:

Yeah those Rogue’s are nice. I’m still more of a fan of These can rough out and pick rocks.
    Name:  IMG_1489.JPG
Views: 573
Size:  3.0 KB
    The Trail Boss stuff is pretty nice and good for when our crews need to ride into spots.

So I've just kinda skimmed through this thread, but it seems to me like most of y'all in here are just out on your own doing work on trails, not really as part of any organization. Not sure how much of that takes place on trails you have built yourselves, versus stuff you like to ride regularly and keep in good condition or whatever. Which brings me to my question. What are the ethics behind doing your own trail work on trails you have not built? Reason I ask is I am seeing all sorts of fucked up things going on in my area. Chopping down a tree because it was a tight (but doable) squeeze to get the bars through. Routing the trail around a rock feature that requires a bit of a finesse move. Today I came across a spot that requires just a bit of effort next to some exposure to clear a six foot section - someone actually filled in the section with rock and fucking cement. This is of course in addition to all the ride arounds that pop up in just about every challenging spot (or wherever the snow or mud lingers just a bit longer than on the rest of the trail). And of course all of these trails have been around for a long time, so I know it's not the original builders doing this stuff. I'm sure all of these people think they are "improving" the trail, but I personally find it pretty disrespectful to the people who have learned some skills over the years, and have ridden some spots over and over until they cleared that damn section and felt a sense of accomplishment. I would never even consider altering a trail that someone else built. The extent of my freelance trail work is pretty much just moving fallen trees off trails, or building a way over if I can't move it on my own, and trying to erase ride arounds. Curious to hear some thoughts on this.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

First I would find out who does the trail work around you, and bring it up with them.

I definitely don't like or approve of "independant" trail work and neither do most trail work organizations or the forest service. Obviously if you want to cut out a downed tree with a handsaw that's awesome and thanks, but no one likes it when some guy is out there dumbing down something too hard for him. Around here there have been some rocks and roots dug/cut out of places, and one of the things I wanted to do this spring was add some rocks back to a certain section but we haven't had an organized work day up there. I also see some half-assed drainage work but generally that isn't hurting anything and sort of works.

X2 what jamal said.

As far as dumbing down a trail, generally I'm opposed to it. Although just because a section of trail is rideable doesn't mean it's good. Even on old trails, changes can improve things. In particular, I'm not a huge fan of super tight trees that I have to thread my bars through. This isn't the 90's, and I'm not running 630's anymore. Cutting out roots and removing rocks is lame though.

X3.

For eg I maintain two trails right next to each other. The first one is flow and i take out roots, keep the berms rollers and booters nice and keep the gnar down as it was built for families, beginner riders, kids etc.

The second one is full on, classic Shore tech and all I do there is cut out blowdown and kick head sized rocks out of the way.

The easier trail gets ridden thousands of times a year. The harder maybe tens of times. But we got variety and thats fine.

If you didnt build the trail, then the only thing you should do to it is keep it running as intended and maintain - eg brushing, fill in washouts, clear drainage paths, restack berms/lips/landings to original spec, etc.

If you want to add features, a side hit here or there is fine. But do not ever alter someone else's feature to better suit you, unless it is in a state of total disrepair. If you don't like how tight the trees are on a trail, tough shit, go build your own damn trail in a clearcut.

For public trails, building ride-arounds (where feasible) is a smart move otherwise you risk some jackass completely removing your feature.

Re-janking trails goes against a trend but is so satisfying.

Copied the old railroad tie derailleur-removing metal skinny from Rob Cocquyt's Another Mans Gold (or did Summer's Eve pre-exist?). Installed on new section of trail. Rode it without face planting.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    First I would find out who does the trail work around you, and bring it up with them.
    It wouldn't shock me if some or all of this stuff was done by someone affiliated with the local trail organization. They are all about calling anything steep or technical "unsustainable" and then smoothing it all out so that it can be ridden both directions on a road bike. Bikes getting smarter, trails getting dumber.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I have excavator and pro driver helping out on dirt jumps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180608_134900_097.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	238379

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

Before:

Name:	IMG_2021.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	238447

After:

Name:	IMG_2023.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	238448

Working on a new piece of dh trail. Outside line (not quite done yet) to a catch berm. Or fall line on the inside of the stump, if people are feeling Sam Hill-ish.

Used last rainstorm to cut blowdown and wander among old friends

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I have excavator and pro driver helping out on dirt jumps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180608_134900_097.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	238379

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    i heart this!!!

Used last rainstorm to cut blowdown and wander among old friends
    lee taking it back to freeride digger roots

did my weekly time at local bike park, groms all bypass this roll in berm to berm section because it was ugly and slow, no excuses anymore and the berm to berm now sets you up on exit better for rollers into jump lines
    Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  157.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1207.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  175.0 KB

still waiting on city to provide storage toolbox onsite, didnt have any extra tools for the random volys that showed up, turning away free labor sucks

I broke my collarbone just looking at this picture.

Finding good dirt can be challenging. I tried to create just a slight slope for a "notaberm" but just a little luv on a turn. Exercise in futility.

Just around the corner were some old blow downs that I originally designed the trail towards a few years ago. Finally got out there with a shovel and the McLeod. Nothing great, but an improvement.

Just around the corner were some old blow downs that I originally designed the trail towards a few years ago. Finally got out there with a shovel and the McLeod. Nothing great, but an improvement.
    honestly, if people just took 1-2 hours of 1 day per year to go out and do a little bit of maintenance on their local trails, whether that is brushing, clearing drainage, or little tweaks like the above we would all benefit so much! good on ya!

had some water pressure issues during the weekly monday night bike park dig so didnt get much done
    made it over last night after board meeting and watered jumps and then dusk pump track laps till jello legs set in
    Name:  IMG_1215.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  62.1 KB