Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    bizzuuuumpppp...

now back in OR, very thankful for my time in MN and being able to be involved in the cgbp project

going to miss that place like crazy but looking forward to new opportunities

what have you kids been up to???

Bike park 242in Sisters OR
    https://www.facebook.com/brittanyrea...type=3&theater
    Grrr, can’t figure out how to embed

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Bike park 242in Sisters OR
    https://www.facebook.com/brittanyrea...type=3&theater
    Grrr, can’t figure out how to embed
    i actually stopped by and walked around a bit last week while passing through... looks like someone put some work into big line since then, nice!
    need to bring bike next time, fun looking little park, post up when another dig day is going on and will try to sneak over

Yup, Carson Storch (Team Red Bull) came by with his crew and an excavator last weekend. We didn't get video of the back flip he did off the last jump...

Next work party is April 28. Some re-shaping on the "blue" jump line, work on the drops and some of the skills features. Would love your help.

Creek gap and landing build

Our rainy season lasted for a month, so I got out while the digging was good. Built a couple re-routes on one of my local trails and fixed up a few trouble spots.

First re-route

Second one, bermed corner then the trail traverses across to a bermed 90* turn

Second corner

From there trail turns downhill into a jump

Another section fixed up. Dealt with a rut here and added drainage at the low spot

Fixed the bermed runout here. A long rut had formed so added a couple drains and fixed the rut
    Last edited by evdog; 04-15-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yup, Carson Storch (Team Red Bull) came by with his crew and an excavator last weekend. We didn't get video of the back flip he did off the last jump...

Next work party is April 28. Some re-shaping on the "blue" jump line, work on the drops and some of the skills features. Would love your help.

penciled in... may be able to make that

props for drainage work dog, and that wood looks sexy lee, nice stoke guys!

rain rain rain here but next week looks like drying out and can get started on spring cleanup at local park

Refreshed some berms. Repaired some rollers/grade reversals

More.berms. Fixed dog walking hole

kickass lee, those small tweaks to drain a puddle or realign a berm make all the difference when riding, but nobody really ever knows the time spent making it happen, i find doing that type of work to be a whole lot of fun and a chance to enhance the trail flavor but it takes a special type of person to do it, props

local bike park work party postponed a few weeks, sounds like machines needed to reschedule for early may
    which meant i could catch up with my old dig crew at alsea falls last weekend at a big voly day they held, knocked a few rollers that were far to peaky and bucking people down to pumpable roll in for a tabletop, felt damn good to get shovel back in hand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alsea.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	233901

planning to hit sisters bike park dig tomorrow, coming from west side if any lurkers happen to be paying attention and wanna tag along...

Went out a couple nights ago with a couple projects to finish.

Brushing requires beers, of course. Brushed around 1/4mi of trail.

Then rocked in the gap in this narrow spot. Dirt had all worn away leaving only big toothy exposed rocks that was unridable for most people. I'll do a more permanent fix next rainy season. There wasn't a lot I could do now.

Then got some miles for a night ride

Good day at Bike Park 242 in Beautiful Downtown Sisters OR
    Some work, some pumpin' and some jumpin'
    Big thanks to Forty who drove 200+ miles round trip to help us. You da' man!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	885.0 KB 
ID:	234124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	234125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0949.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	940.6 KB 
ID:	234126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	234127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	234128  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	234129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	234130  

Rebuilding janky beatup berms and ladders for the KOMS

Vollie grooming Saturday at Copper City (new trail system near 3 Forks MT). Worked on the DH specific section of new trail.
    Name:  31417034_1239021552901835_7840130973969678336_n.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  31485172_1239021519568505_961090776060657664_n.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  138.4 KB

Name:  31461010_1239021669568490_3581257333289779200_n.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  207.3 KB

35 workers and a couple hundred riders during the day.

https://www.facebook.com/Coppercity/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wow, that's looking pretty damn polished.

Machine roughed in by Terraflow. We were dotting Is and crossing the Ts.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ev, Lee, NB - great work.
    Lee - Love the use of dead/down material for the features.
    Evdog, are you on a solo labor of love, or are you getting some help?
    Great that SWMT mags got 35 people out to dig in a relatively remote area. And second Norseman - Well done with the terraflow.

One more set of fixing grade reversals ie sendy rollers.

Fixed an exit. Deactivated a braided ridearound

Probably not great to use old wood as fill if you're concerned about longevity, especially in such a wet climate.

I wish we got to build more fun features around here but just getting to do anything is enough of a challenge. Mostly because we are surrounded by so much forest service land, where you can't build new trails. There is a new huge area in town though where we will hopefully get to do some fun stuff in the next couple of years, along with the stuff we've built above the XC course.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Probably not great to use old wood as fill if you're concerned about longevity, especially in such a wet climate.

I wish we got to build more fun features around here but just getting to do anything is enough of a challenge. Mostly because we are surrounded by so much forest service land, where you can't build new trails. There is a new huge area in town though where we will hopefully get to do some fun stuff in the next couple of years, along with the stuff we've built above the XC course.
    Used cedar. Which has a pretty long life especially if buried. The old ladder lasted a decade and we only pulled it apart because it was dirt topped and the rocks were poking out. This time we used rocks and cedar as fill and then sifted soil. So maybe 15 years>?

There's some new trail on the miller creek side of the mount dean stone project. Pretty short, meant to access existing roads. I have not done any exploring or looking at maps up in there so I'm going to have to get out and ride around a bit pretty soon.

It was cut in with an excavator, today we just kind of smoothed things out

Did you make it on Saturday? I'm usually opposed to manual labor at 9am on the weekend.
    Looks good.
    They need to do it later on in the day since it's not hot yet. Seriously, not everyone goes to bed at 10:30 on a Friday night.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hey diggers... finally getting more permission to do some digging at the local trails up here in Maine and hoping to shape up some of the downhills in order to improve the flow in a few key sections when rocks/terrain really suck up the speed. Hoping to build a few dirt transitions here and there to allow you to get a little bit of air over some of the garbage. Have mostly been building berms and still in remedial school with that... often building the berms outside of the natural line and then having to pull all the dirt into the turn after the fact. Given this...

-If you're trying to build a jump (and ideally a landing) how do you decide how big it/the gap should be before digging? Build the jump first, huck to flat and build the landing after?

-Same thing with rollers... how do you decide the spacing and how steep the incline should be?

-And still struggling with how to decide where to place the berm, how big it needs to be, angle, etc. I'm still shocked after I throw a bunch of dirt together, tamp it into the shape I want, then ride it, and my tire marks are nowhere near where I'd imagine.... often inside and only in the berm for the first half of the turn.

Danke!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Hey diggers... finally getting more permission to do some digging at the local trails up here in Maine and hoping to shape up some of the downhills in order to improve the flow in a few key sections when rocks/terrain really suck up the speed. Hoping to build a few dirt transitions here and there to allow you to get a little bit of air over some of the garbage. Have mostly been building berms and still in remedial school with that... often building the berms outside of the natural line and then having to pull all the dirt into the turn after the fact. Given this...

-If you're trying to build a jump (and ideally a landing) how do you decide how big it/the gap should be before digging? Build the jump first, huck to flat and build the landing after?

-Same thing with rollers... how do you decide the spacing and how steep the incline should be?

-And still struggling with how to decide where to place the berm, how big it needs to be, angle, etc. I'm still shocked after I throw a bunch of dirt together, tamp it into the shape I want, then ride it, and my tire marks are nowhere near where I'd imagine.... often inside and only in the berm for the first half of the turn.

Danke!
    Honestly, there isn't really any easy answer other than: go ride a lot of jumps and berms that are well built. Pay attention to how they're built, and develop an eye for what looks right.

For bigger stuff, you can do math and figure out entry speed, angle of the lip, and derive where the landing should be from that. But for any jump that's not fairly massive, that sort of thing doesn't tend to work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post

Danke!
    I don't have an answer, but that berm you made at shp was and is perfect imo.

I can say that with all the new trails I have built, the turns change pretty dramatically over time as the trail gets worn in and speeds increase. We have too many turns that need berms right now. Need dirt diggers down here.