Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    looking good, im super jealous you can still play in the dirt, there is currently 4in of snow on the ground here and i wont see brown pow till march

as far as steep lips, i got some great advice from a dj shredder/digger about a good beginner line and way to learn the steepness factor
    he called it a "spine line", basically exactly what it sounds like, like a tabletop without its middle, something you would see on a street bmx course or skatepark
    you can ride them slow or fairly quick, and use pumping front/back to control finding the landing
    i havent tried building any yet, but want to try out a few as a practice line next season, seems like a great way to get comfortable with the steepness intimidation factor, which is what frustrates me mentally more than anything else
    Oh, it's not the actual jumping part that intimidates me. I've jumped plenty of steep jumps. I've just never actually built any from nothing. I maintained a local line for a couple years, but that was a few years ago and to be honest, I just focused on keeping it smooth and clean and didn't pay attention to the steepness of the jumps and layout dimensions. It's the spacing and steepness and speed that I'm trying to figure out. Luckily it's dirt and can be quickly rearranged with the tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Oh, it's not the actual jumping part that intimidates me. I've jumped plenty of steep jumps. I've just never actually built any from nothing. I maintained a local line for a couple years, but that was a few years ago and to be honest, I just focused on keeping it smooth and clean and didn't pay attention to the steepness of the jumps and layout dimensions. It's the spacing and steepness and speed that I'm trying to figure out. Luckily it's dirt and can be quickly rearranged with the tractor.
    My spot I was working on a few years ago....... The biggest jump in the line we built by just building the lip with a big unshaped pile of soft dirt generally where the landing was going to be.......and then just jumped a few times into the fluff.

Gave a pretty good idea and we didn't waste a bunch of time packing dirt to land on that may not have worked.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    My spot I was working on a few years ago....... The biggest jump in the line we built by just building the lip with a big unshaped pile of soft dirt generally where the landing was going to be.......and then just jumped a few times into the fluff.

Gave a pretty good idea and we didn't waste a bunch of time packing dirt to land on that may not have worked.
    Yeah, that pretty much what I've been doing.

Got a third jump built:

The backyard is getting more and more fun.

Sweetness!

fuck yeah, looking smooooooth

i can barely remember what that brown stuff feels like, mn winter is useless, cant dig, nothing worth skiing, stuck inside polishing my shovel...

on the brighter side odds are favorable for some serious funding in 2016 for the bike park, and the city is stepping up their maintenance efforts this year which will take a lot of bs work off our shoulders, letting us focus on holding some cool events and getting everything perfected while saving funds for the slopestyle build the following year

is it spring yet?

A few from spring building season:

looking good toast, what trail system is that on?

and wtf happened to all my pics dammit???
    tgr broke my shizz... bummer

first big build day at cgbp last week, getting things ready to rock and roll for the season

pump tracks buffed

kiddos put to work

beginnings of a strider tot track

donated time from fancy pants machines make short work of 4x resurfacing, the backside of the bucket has a grinder built in, its sick to say the least

its all coming together...
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    looking good toast, what trail system is that on?
    Spencer mtn. in Whitefish MT

I didn't have to do any digging, but it's a bunch of fun...

We just need to build a big ass start ramp to get proper speed for the thing. The hard pedal sprint isn't cutting it.

Also, getting a bunch of free dirt delivered from a pool being put in nearby, so some additions will be made shortly, most likely another double or two.

fuck yeah cs, where did you get the bag from?
    that looks like a rad thing to do for a fundraiser...

we have been having shit weather but finally got the pump tracks locked and opened up

kiddos

bbq's

and cross bikes?

we dont discriminate...

Me and Wally a couple weekends ago. Fuck, that was hot.
    Soooooo, Missoula is getting a "skills" park on 39th?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

nice stuck, new singletrack is always fun to create, whats the skill park project all about?
    get those hands dirty!

ive been busting ass as usual, will save the rant but volunteers have been... low...
    pretty much 3-4 of us whipping the bike park into shape, constant questions of when the 4x and dj's will be ready, a hell of a lot sooner if any of you fucks would pick up a shovel... slowly but surely we will get the whole thing opened though, ok enough of that depressing bs...

crackin on the 4x, old and busted

after some elbow grease, new hotness

also had a great dig day at the local xc spot, double rainbow popped the minute i cracked the post dig refreshment

how are you spending your summer?

some help from Qbmx getting dj's running, thanks boys

slap!

working hard

or hardly working...

and then more rain...

over 5 inches in one night, weakest of sauces

but we have rad friends!

props to Trail Source for some machine magic, these guys know how to manhandle dirt!

back in business

get some!

Despair then joy.
    It's nice to have FWSS (friends with skid steers)

buncha bickering around here right now, how about some back to basics stoke...

kids and bikes!

local bike shop runs a 4 day summer camp for kiddos, like last year they wanted to give the kids some first hand experience in what goes into taking care of their favorite playland, so i get to give them a 2hr crash course in the life of a trail volunteer and put them to work!

dig time!

this year they added a section of 10 girls to the camp, they did better work than the boys, waaayyyyy more attention to detail, and its all in the details!

dont forget to test your work

this makes me smile ear to ear

brraappppppppp!!!

thankful for the opportunity, i was starting to get a little digging drained from a shit rain season, but working with kiddos always fills my stoke bank!

Got out and helped bench in sum new trails starting up locally. Feels good.
    watch out for snakes

HOA meeting, fk that.

Trail work, hell yes.
    watch out for snakes

bizzump
    ive been slackin on the updates, but not slackin on the shovel slappin...

spent last 3 days knocking out spring rework of 4x and pump tracks, had our machine wielding buddies at Trail Source out to quicken the pace, park is officially open as of today, earliest in its (short) history

oh yeah, some kinda big news for us out here in flatland, our rfp grant came through, six figures, working on lining up contractors now, its gonna be a good year

xc trailwork night, put the kids to work on some jump rehab, fun fun fun

Thanks forty for your work on the local trails. I'm excited to try the refreshed features at Leb. I need to volunteer to dig this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View Post
    Thanks forty for your work on the local trails. I'm excited to try the refreshed features at Leb. I need to volunteer to dig this season.
    whaaaaattt, a local in the mix???
    leb dig night tonight 6pm meeting at covington lot since trail is currently closed...
    working on step down in the final climb, landing and berm need love and need to dial in the step up now that speed is sorted out

djs got some slaps, putting the young backs to work

had a meeting with city last night about cgbp, selected company we want to contract for phase 3 of the bike park, sounds like we are looking at july for timeframe, cant wait, dig dig dig...

more tweaks on the xc trails, turned a huck to flat into a decent landing, needs some moisture and see how it settles, next session will be planting a rock for a doubleable drop on the roll in to this hit

phase 3 coming soon...