Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 262
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,656
    Found a local new park and met the WV Forestry guy who is part of the planning. He was stoked to see a user and I was stoked to offer input and work to get it up to snuff. Have to go back and ride it again since they were heading out to mow/brush hog when I was leaving.

    Having lost access to a civil war battle field that had allowed local bike club to build trails and then few years later kicked us out this will make a nice replacement I think. Mucho potential for easy to moderate trails.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    scotty, so rad, love it when a small run in opens doors, all it takes is a smile and giving a shit, then before you know it something is actually getting done!

    working our way down the 4x dialing in more and more as we go, this needed an overhaul as it lost far too much speed coming out of it, no longer an issue, it hauls ass now


    got a little more promo coverage from local news, very local... bike stuff starts at 2:30


    next week i get to play slavedriver for a few hours with some kiddos from a mtb camp, doing a trailwork intro and getting their hands dirty, should be fun fun fun, hope they are prepared to work and not just follow my lead and lean on a shovel...
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:54 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    63
    Been meaning to throw some of this for a while in this thread. My secondary job for the summer has been helping build trail around Big Sky, MT two days a week. Been alot of fun working with some very talented operators and being a part of a project so well received by the community here.
    It is great to see all the work everyone in this thread has been doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1407096546587.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	157171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1407096609189.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	157173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1407096639328.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	157174  

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    7,679
    Just a couple from Peterson Ridge in Central OR, built and maintained by Sisters Trails Alliance.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	906.5 KB 
ID:	157205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	879.7 KB 
ID:	157206
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    awesome viggen, that looks gorgeous, community support feeds the drive, a solid crew and some kudos is about the best day ever imo

    bobski, god damn i miss OR, flatland MN is crushing my soul, need to get over to sisters and ride when back visiting, ive hiked in the area a lot, but never ridden the bike, cool to see so much expansion of the mtb trails around there, been hearing very good things
    if you ever get over toward alsea falls area check it out, my buddy has been doing strong work, rave reviews from riders and some solid designers involved


    ive been busy as hell, same old schtick...

    put in an actual jump on an xc trail in MN, holy shit is this rare!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leb table.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	157210


    reworking some of the 4x at cgbp, always in a state of tuning


    and still battling the dreaded rain...


    the rewards, this is a standard afternoon at the park, kiddos shredding, so rad
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:30 PM.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,208
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post

    reworking some of the 4x at cgbp, always in a state of tuning
    Purty.....



    I've dug up a lot of dirt around here but I've never found one of these. I accidentally woke up a rubber boa. Hibernating in August? I was just glad I found a whole snake and not two pieces with mcleod marks.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/video/bi...e-to-be-snakes
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    . I accidentally woke up a rubber boa. Hibernating in August?[/url]
    I've come across two this year, but above ground, really cool and mellow snakes

    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,208
    Yeah I've seen them on trails before, but never would have guessed they'd be 3ft under in the summer. I felt bad for waking him up.


    Looks like yours is posing for the camera. Good eye contact!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan/Sverige/Montucky
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
    Been meaning to throw some of this for a while in this thread. My secondary job for the summer has been helping build trail around Big Sky, MT two days a week. Been alot of fun working with some very talented operators and being a part of a project so well received by the community here.
    It is great to see all the work everyone in this thread has been doing.
    proud of ya bud and can't wait to come ride that with ya but why don't you share the picture you sent me the other day? ?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

    "He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

    -The Gylfaginning

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    those rubber boas are pretty damn cool, ive never lived any place with interesting snakes, well besides rattlers...


    couple weeks ago i was given a few hours to lead a summer mtb kids camp through a basic "trail maintenance" crash course experience
    little did they know what they were getting themselves into, put those kids to work, DIG TO RIDE!


    dave giving them the safety talk "circle of death", slightly different than my normal meetings...


    do work!


    or play with bugs...


    follow me my minions


    got some solid work done, completely reworked the "jump" line in the skills area, jump means bump in MN fyi...
    i get another crew of kiddos next week and hope to put in a small skills rock drop line next to this one
    slowly but surely the xc trail systems here are getting more interesting, encouraging jumps/drops in skills areas seems to really work well to get riders comfortable and desiring them on the trails as well, my plan is slowly working!
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:42 PM.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    proud of ya bud and can't wait to come ride that with ya but why don't you share the picture you sent me the other day? ?
    well now they HAVE to be posted

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    7,679
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    bobski, god damn i miss OR, flatland MN is crushing my soul, need to get over to sisters and ride when back visiting, ive hiked in the area a lot, but never ridden the bike, cool to see so much expansion of the mtb trails around there, been hearing very good things
    if you ever get over toward alsea falls area check it out, my buddy has been doing strong work, rave reviews from riders and some solid designers involved
    Holler if you get to Central OR - lotta good stuff going on. Will definitely check out Alsea area when I get there next

    the rewards, this is a standard afternoon at the park, kiddos shredding, so rad
    Love to see the grommets playing in the dirt. Here's some kids at Phil's pumptrack - 4 years old. Helped the kid in green adjust chain tension. Note the full armor and Troy Lee gear. They brought the stoke

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumptrack.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	533.6 KB 
ID:	157319

    Mom (who was HAWT!) said they would rather come to the pump track than watch TV or play computer games.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumptrack.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	533.6 KB 
ID:	157319

    Mom (who was HAWT!) said they would rather come to the pump track than watch TV or play computer games.
    hellz yeah, kiddos arent dumb, they know shredding is better than boobtube, its the stupid adults that crush their natural wanttogetoutsideandkillit attitude

    will let ya know if i make it over to the area, still hoping for a oct OR trip but will be grape harvest time so might not get to do much bikey stuff, wine takes priority



    got a second day with another group of kids at mtb camp, made a small jump moar bettererrer, as some kiddo said "can we put a lip on it?", yep we sure can!

    safety spiel by the dirt boss, "this is the pointy end..."


    this dirt, it doesnt go here



    DIG TO RIDE!


    to top it off the camp donated a not insubstantial amount to our club for helping them out, so we got free volunteers and paid for it, bwahahahahahaha

    next up on the calendar, site prep for the imba bell build dj build at cgbp, next month is gonna be fun fun fun!
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:49 PM.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    wrapping things up for the season out here


    a recap of where things are at with CGBP


    if you missed my spew on the build check it: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...48#post4309348


    hows everyone else's projects doing?
    Last edited by forty; 03-31-2016 at 04:56 PM.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    7,679
    Very cool what you've accomplished there. Questions about this adventure -
    - Was IMBA design a requirement of the Bell grant, or was there some other arrangement. Are you guys an IMBA chapter?
    - What do you guys do for liability insurance? Seems like there will be more than a few incidents of major blood and compound fractures...

    Trail building in central Oregon has pretty much come to a halt for a while. Deschutes NF is coming up with a new forest management plan which will barely be done by the end of their fiscal year (9/30/2015). Until then, no new trail building will be considered. Which means that 15 miles of new singletrack planned for the Sisters area, plus a trail from Detroit reservoir to Sisters by way of Hoodoo, are now on hold.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Very cool what you've accomplished there. Questions about this adventure -
    - Was IMBA design a requirement of the Bell grant, or was there some other arrangement. Are you guys an IMBA chapter?
    - What do you guys do for liability insurance? Seems like there will be more than a few incidents of major blood and compound fractures...

    Trail building in central Oregon has pretty much come to a halt for a while. Deschutes NF is coming up with a new forest management plan which will barely be done by the end of their fiscal year (9/30/2015). Until then, no new trail building will be considered. Which means that 15 miles of new singletrack planned for the Sisters area, plus a trail from Detroit reservoir to Sisters by way of Hoodoo, are now on hold.
    you sound like you have been hearing some rumblings, i dont like airing dirty laundry, feel free to pm...

    yes imba design (trail solutions), imba contracted builders (flowride)
    yes imba club (MORC), but the actual crew doesnt do much outside this project with them besides a few of us, and we raise much of our own money separately
    as far as liability, its on the city and MORC, had a few incidents so far, collarbone, KO's, concussions, chipped teeth, split chins, but nothing super gnarly yet...
    we arent allowed to build proper gaps, and they still refuse to let me build any wooden radness, we will be paying for "engineered" structures for the slopestyle course, such a waste of funds ugh

    but you have to play by the rules to be a city park, baby steps... trying to push the envelope best we can

    ive been following the OR scene, lots of good and bad this year it seems, the big picture looks good though, reevaluating the management plan and taking bikes into consideration is a pretty huge accomplishment

    my friends wont shut up about alsea, getting better weekly it sounds like, and BR and other stuff in the valley is prime judging from my FB feed of sweet loamy singletrack and grins behind mud stained goggles, god damn i miss the pnw...

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,864
    I'm lucky enough to be a paid builder for this guy.... http://sinuosity.net/ . Digging makes me happy. Makes me stoked to ride too. Here's one we built here in Northfield VT... Great blend of built flow trail features and natural surfaces.
    Lately we've been enhancing some local favorites to bring back some of the speed and smoothness they had pre-erosion...and rerouting some unfortunate over-tight turns. I like refurbishing old raked in trail the best. Perry Hill in Waterbury is tuning up noice.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    7,679
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    you sound like you have been hearing some rumblings, i dont like airing dirty laundry, feel free to pm...
    PM sent


    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    ive been following the OR scene, lots of good and bad this year it seems, the big picture looks good though, reevaluating the management plan and taking bikes into consideration is a pretty huge accomplishment

    my friends wont shut up about alsea, getting better weekly it sounds like, and BR and other stuff in the valley is prime judging from my FB feed of sweet loamy singletrack and grins behind mud stained goggles, god damn i miss the pnw...
    I'm hearing great stuff about Alsea as well. Ran into one of the builders two weeks ago - he also runs Mudslinger - and heard some more really good stuff. Gotta get over there next spring/summer.

    I'm not a big Black Rock rider - too old to bounce well, and air between the dirt & my tires is usually just a prelude to tragedy.
    I've heard that Cheese Grater has been modified so that the the second drop below isn't really possible anymore.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,208
    ^A better person than I would feel bad for laughing at that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  20. #70
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,137
    Got our first rain in forever here in Socal today, so build season is now upon us.

    Found an area with some nice rock that should string together into a fun techy trail



    Nice rainbow = good trail karma

    Last edited by evdog; 04-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be a paid builder for this guy.... http://sinuosity.net/ . Digging makes me happy. Makes me stoked to ride too. Here's one we built here in Northfield VT... Great blend of built flow trail features and natural surfaces.
    Lately we've been enhancing some local favorites to bring back some of the speed and smoothness they had pre-erosion...and rerouting some unfortunate over-tight turns. I like refurbishing old raked in trail the best. Perry Hill in Waterbury is tuning up noice.
    some legit shit in there!
    if you dont mind me asking, i would love to hear any comments on the transition from voly to pro digger, a few friends are contemplating heading down this path with mixed thoughts

    absolutely agree about reworking old trails, i wish more of the local trail bosses saw things this way instead of just wanting to add more miles of the same old xc trail...
    i have a very tough time convincing volunteers to rework sections, they see it as unnecessary labor, if it isnt building "new" trail they just dont get it, fortunately bike peeps are rad and if i start throwing enough dirt they will follow me blindly for better or worse... usually they are stoked and kind of shocked with what the results are, and as more see the impact of these little tuneup projects the more interest there is in them, which is encouraging


    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    I'm hearing great stuff about Alsea as well. Ran into one of the builders two weeks ago - he also runs Mudslinger - and heard some more really good stuff. Gotta get over there next spring/summer.

    I'm not a big Black Rock rider - too old to bounce well, and air between the dirt & my tires is usually just a prelude to tragedy.
    I've heard that Cheese Grater has been modified so that the the second drop below isn't really possible anymore.
    damn havent thought of mudslinger in years, the one and only race ive ever done on a mtb, in what must have been '95?
    fuck me, im getting old too haha!

    im blanking on the name of the guy, but that front flip is still talked about, pretty sure it was a friend of a trail boss or maybe friend of a friend visiting, something like that anyway

    nice that they got around to cheese grater, thats been on their radar for a loooong time, i remember working on the meat cleaver with dan brainstorming away on it, guessing the wallride is coming to a finish if he found time to work further down the line here, sounds like GK is finally getting some more love, i know BD got a new step down/up combo last week thats looking buttery, and the final section of BD is actually a finished trail now instead of an afterthought

    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    ^A better person than I would feel bad for laughing at that.

    it looks so little from below, but thats a decent tumble right there haha

    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Got our first rain in forever here in Socal today, so build season is now upon us.

    Found an area with some nice rock that should string together into a fun techy trail

    can i get a shipping quote to 55431?
    so jealous...


    also jealous of winter build season, im just about to head over to the bike park and start laying out tarps for winter closures, last few weeks of riding before snow flies, dirt is already past its workable point, my digging is pretty much done for the year, im actually kind of depressed...

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    some legit shit in there!
    if you dont mind me asking, i would love to hear any comments on the transition from voly to pro digger, a few friends are contemplating heading down this path with mixed thoughts

    absolutely agree about reworking old trails, i wish more of the local trail bosses saw things this way instead of just wanting to add more miles of the same old xc trail...
    i have a very tough time convincing volunteers to rework sections, they see it as unnecessary labor, if it isnt building "new" trail they just dont get it, fortunately bike peeps are rad and if i start throwing enough dirt they will follow me blindly for better or worse... usually they are stoked and kind of shocked with what the results are, and as more see the impact of these little tuneup projects the more interest there is in them, which is encouraging ...
    The transition around north central Vermont came from volunteers not being willing to do work. Land access was gained by VMBA and projects were green-lighted but the labor never materialized. Labor was needed, money was raised, trail crews were hired. For me it's the best job ever. Getting paid to do what I did for years on my own, and making a livable wage to boot, more then any kitchen job ever provided in Vt. We try to walk a fine line between sustainability and keeping the New England character alive. A lot of the focus around here has been on easy trail, with the old, over-ridden blown up trail being left as "expert". The Orange trail from the vid, and the reworking of some old trail are some of the only advanced riding that has been funded in my immediate area. There has been considerable push back from some old locals who don't really get it yet, but it is overwhelmingly a positive experience and for the first time in the last 5 years of contracting trail work, it seems that work is already piled up for next year with more miles of trail then we could likely build and the Business seems to be growing for Brooke. As it has been, the volunteer-run organizations have not been ready with contracts, funds, ect, and the two crews operating around here have sat idle until June or later, but at this point looking forward, we will be ready to rock when the snow is gone in the spring and work through the season. Working seasonally can be a bitch, but having paying jobs lined up makes it easier to feather winter and summer work. Best job ever, as far as I'm concerned.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,208
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post

    it looks so little from below, but thats a decent tumble right there haha
    I've been there. That's why I laughed. I'm still trying to figure out the physics of that front flip video. There had to be a front brake involved in there somewhere. I was working on bunny hopping before that little lip to maximize that landing even more because there was a huge hole where the wood met the dirt on the bottom.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    7,679
    ^^^A classic Freeride Fail. Agree that there had to be front brakes involved. He didn't exactly hit the run-in with speed and I would imagine he did some panic braking and the front wheel fell straight into the gap.

    Hey Forty, left you my digits in a PM - got asked yesterday to help create a pump track (thru IMBA) in our little piece of paradise. Given the photo of the Troy Lee kids upthread I couldn't say no. So your input will be really helpful.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,793
    Been doing some work involving the glamour of filling in mudholes. Funny I can always get the bros out to ride trails after we've fixed them up but if you go - hey broo--- I've got some huge mudholes to fill in - not much interest.





    Some cedar mmmm

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgcbznmk79...20(1).jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by LeeLau; 11-02-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •