Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    this is why we do what we do, a kid, overweight, local to the park, gets off his ass, finds some confidence and builds some ego, takes pride in volunteering and helping take care of what he uses, this is the real goal
    That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    That's awesome.
    Seconded. That is awesome!

I really enjoy the walkers on the trails as well. People outside in the woods is a good thing and it's a good community bond imo. Everyone needs an outlet in nature even if they don't know it.

Busted arse today moving rock. I'm spent! Slowly but surely we keep gaining on the new trail. Think it will end up almost a mile when done...and it will be a biatch of a mile.

Always amazing to hear when the younger generation take pride and love into the trail aspect of it all. I remember asking a kid riding a new trail that was built if he liked it and his response was yes and I helped build it.

Finally got some rain again late last week that put enough moisture in the soil to shape. I wanted to fix up a little drop on my neighborhood trail- just throw 10-12 buckets of dirt on top of the landing to extend it back and up to make it a little more forgiving. Went to the spot where i stash my tools and the bucket/rake/shovel were gone. Bummer. Hopefully its some folks starting a new trail in those woods and not a super-citizen or City worker confiscating them.

the thing I like about the young dudes on the trails I talk to. They don't care about internal rim width or how much travel or what grips/dropper/rubber compound etc etc. The little fuckers just ride on anything old bmx with no tread on tyres and a barely working back brake, sisters girly bike cos he bust his up last week and got to save up to get it fixed. They're just down there loving it

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

More old trail beautification and fun with rocks 😄

Building the rock roll
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200819-055336.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	337604
    New rock berm construction

Name:	Screenshot_20200819-055349.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	337605
    Rock roll is now about 3 times as long

Name:	Screenshot_20200819-055425.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	337606
    And an insta-schralp proof rock catch berm

Name:	Screenshot_20200819-055438.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	337607
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I found this TTB vid of the trail we just finished building a few weeks back.

I'd post up pics on here but my computer won't take photos from my phone and for some odd reason I can't log on to this forum using my phone.

This is the New Heart Trail here in Flagstaff. It's about 4 miles in length and descends 1500 or so feets of vertical. It took us 14 months to get completed. It was hand built and there was some monster bench cutting across 100% cross slopes. It's been a great experience but I'm glad we are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KMVRNbnB4
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Moved the boulder (red X pic) out of the middle of this new line. 6' breaker bar and gravity did all the work.

Gaining on the new trail. The landowner called the new trail "gnarly" and is requesting B lines. There's only so much we can do with a valley for terrain.
    Worked this so it is now rideable "up" also. We added a B-line around the whole knoll to keep everyone happy on this "sanctioned" trail.

Anybody familiar with the story on the adoption of the Teton Pass DH trails? Looking at some similar issues here in CA, and wondering how they pulled it off. PM me if it needs to be private. Thanks y'all!
    sproing!

Finished our new trail yesterday. Ended up .85 miles. Fairly techy and it was built as an UP primarily. Psyched to get it burned in.

I guess were really never finished. A lot of rock work today to make it better.

I guess were really never finished.
    finished, haha good one

nice rockwork in here lately, im jealous you all have something to work with when the dirt is shit, im just on dust control duty at local jumps till rain comes back

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anybody familiar with the story on the adoption of the Teton Pass DH trails? Looking at some similar issues here in CA, and wondering how they pulled it off. PM me if it needs to be private. Thanks y'all!
    Not sure if this is the full movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBo...mingFilmOffice

Adding offshoots that couldn't be worked into the flow of the new trail. Not a big fan of doing this, but the terrain dictates sometimes and it's too fun to not utilize it.

Are you going to fill that in for a berm, or let bike tires cut in a catch berm/rut? I think a few A-line and B-line options spread out on a trail are great- its a chance for progression and can give a trail different character depending on your mood that day. Looks like good dirt through there.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Are you going to fill that in for a berm, or let bike tires cut in a catch berm/rut? I think a few A-line and B-line options spread out on a trail are great- its a chance for progression and can give a trail different character depending on your mood that day. Looks like good dirt through there.
    I'm not completely sure of the plan here. This line jumped out at me because it looked like a little mini couloir, so I raked it! Essentially what you see is I had dug up those rocks to make the right turn and set them over there with thoughts of potentially a berm, but I'm slightly fearful that it will be a water trap. But it's super fast and I think a berm, well I know, a berm would be super helpful and more fun. Straight below the rocks is the actual new trail barely visible in one pic. Heading hard right (where I want to go) leads to a doable up of more offshoot drops and A-lines that could not be worked into the flow of the trail. We're in a steep gully here and I'm trying to maximize all the multiple drop tech lines in this little zone. Meeting the rest of my crew this weekend to figure it all out. We have more to the left that needs to be worked as well. Fun little puzzle.

Navigating some steep sidehill with an alaska mill and some lag screws.

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-162038~2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	475.7 KB 
ID:	340670
    A hand built berm

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-162047~2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	516.5 KB 
ID:	340671
    Rock wall support

Name:	Screenshot_20200918-141708~2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	340673
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

^^^ nice. What saw are you running in the mill?

I'm not sure the model number, a pro grade stihl though. I was cutting the planks into decking with that husqvarna and setting them as well as some of the dirt work. You can see the milling going on in the upper left of that pic. It's definitely hard on the saw and the body, but comes out looking awesome.

That's some pro build man!

That's some pro build man!
    Thanks! To say it's been a challenging season would be an understatement. Crew cut in half and basically no budget, we've been able to get creative and pull off some pretty amazing builds. Hopefully the faucet stays on and they keep funding more trail here, our little bike park is off to a pretty solid start.

built up a landing that most of us were landing to flat. Dig season starts for my gang now the dirt is permanently damp. gona start a new trail I'll keep posting with progress Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201002_105538.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	342123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201002_105515.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	342124

Continued on this rock berm line today and cleaned up some others.

This one is going to take more time to get dialed. Pushed it back about 3' today. Think we'll bench more, build more of berm once the line is figured out. She'll take time and patience.

This line has a little sender and is super fast into a nice wide S turn and continues a straightish downward. Super fun.

drainage and catch berm to the new landingName:  IMG-20201004-WA0000.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  74.5 KB

Well, we're starting a new trail and we're about to use heavy equipment for the first time in building some berms. I'm nervous! The trail is going to have typical hand build stuff, but we have sections that the owner wants full machine made berms...because he has the machines!

Anybody have a good links to design? I don't want to f this all up. Thankfully we have a good small group of riders to help and one is a lift service ripper, but the line between disaster and awesome is kinda thin I think. So any info I can pass along so we're not on an island when pushing our thoughts would be helpful.