Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Armored spring crossing out on the new trail. Rebuilt the spring box and worked in a stone culvert under the trail. Rock ramp that unearthed a Pony Skeleton. My dog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20181022_091202.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	252307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20181022_100017.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	604.0 KB 
ID:	252308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20181022_095002.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	539.5 KB 
ID:	252309  

Finished a new trail and went back to play with this log. Ramp is not quite right. The transition to the log might be beyond my skills. It's tight. But man I sure do dig this battery chainsaw.

Dig day a couple weekends back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181103_124051702_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	255676

Anyone here know of resources to get training (some type of official cert.?) on the use of a SWECO trail cat in the intermountain region? My org has one and the local USFS district has one, but we both lack trained operators. Trying to coordinate some big spring work on FS land and this would go a long ways towards making it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Anyone here know of resources to get training (some type of official cert.?) on the use of a SWECO trail cat in the intermountain region? My org has one and the local USFS district has one, but we both lack trained operators. Trying to coordinate some big spring work on FS land and this would go a long ways towards making it happen.
    What's the upside to those things over a mini excavator? Seems like the mini dozer things are a lot more limited in what they can do, but I've never used one.

Sorry, no idea as to your actual question.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What's the upside to those things over a mini excavator? Seems like the mini dozer things are a lot more limited in what they can do, but I've never used one.

Sorry, no idea as to your actual question.
    I have no operator experience on either one, but to my untrained eye I would agree with you on the mini-ex. The SWECO was bought years ago on a grant.

Found a guy named Tony Boone in CO that claims to certify trail dozer operators, I'll try contacting him.

Found a guy named Tony Boone in CO that claims to certify trail dozer operators, I'll try contacting him.
    If you're looking for a guy that can teach you how to build boring smooth flow trails with excessive grade reversals, he's your man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you're looking for a guy that can teach you how to build boring smooth flow trails with excessive grade reversals, he's your man.
    Ha. Thanks for the input, I definitely don't want anymore of that around here, we have plenty.

Ha. Thanks for the input, I definitely don't want anymore of that around here, we have plenty.
    Again, not coming from a place of experience, but that seems like it's gotta be a somewhat inherent drawback of the dozer. It's gotta be pretty hard to leave any roots or rocks in place with that machine. I could see them being faster and more efficient for building flat-ish beginner trails, but for anything where the goal is to leave things technical, or even to build more substantial berms, it seems like it'd be pretty difficult if you're only working with a blade.

Get on it and push dirt, that's how we used to learn how to run equipment.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The city ranger we were working with on a trail build a couple years ago got his hands on a sweco for part of the project. He had some prior experience running one and was able to bench in trail pretty fast with it - much faster than we could bench by hand even with a large crew. I think the sweco was limited to less steep slopes as we had to hand build in between a couple machine built sections. It also left a really wide bench. With that wider bench it'll last longer before needing maintenance but still looks like a bad haircut 3 or so seasons later.

Recently our club rented a mini-excavator to help build some trail in a remote part of the county where we have trouble getting good volunteer turnouts. The mini-ex we got is narrower than the sweco and can build trail more precisely - it can move and place rocks and logs where desired whereas the sweco can mostly just push stuff out of the way. You have to build a little pad for stability each time the mini moves forward and there seems to be more tendency to inslope the bench which adds work for the people doing finish work. That could be related to operator skill but with the sweco it seemed easier to outslope the trail because you just had to angle the blade a bit. I think the mini ex can handle steeper terrain better than the sweco but doesn't seem to work as fast. Again that could be operator skill. I'm sure someone with lots of experience could build good trail with either machine, though I think I'd want the mini-ex where there is a lot of rock to deal with.

The last two weeks it has rained on Weds and/or Thursday. Now it's time to dig! Last weekend was the first trail day at Black Mtn to bring an unofficial trail into the system. Requires some re-routes, re-building, and rehabilitating an area that goes through a huge erosion scar.

This weekend we were building trail near Julian for San Diego River Park Foundation that will be part of the San Diego River Trail. Got permission to use the mini-excavator for this project. One crew cut down danger trees, the other cut new tread. The machine plus myself finishing tread got through just over 300ft of new trail.

Then went out yesterday to work on some of my own stuff. The entrance to this trail becomes a stream during heavy rain. Between that and lots of traffic it has eroded and the big rocks popping up made it unridable for most people. So I moved the stream over to the left side, built up a rock wall to keep it in place and filled in a bench above it. Then added some large rock to the entrance. It should still be challenging to ride up as there will be a couple steps and it's narrow. I had a bobcat for this job too but it wasn't very helpful.

Before

After

The help