Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backroads? Providence to Boston

Looking for suggestions...would like to keep my kid off the highway with a '74 Honda CB360.
    He'll be doing round trips prob 3 days a week, potentially more...not an experienced rider, new to biking.

many thanks

The highway is safer. Sure, higher speeds generally (unless there is traffic) but not as many intersections, lights, turny roads, etc.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Nothing that I can think of that wouldn't take 2 hours or so. Rt 1 maybe?

Highway for kid on a bike? Unless hes got really good skills on a bike that 360 is going to get blown around by the big rigs and stuff. No way Id let my kid do that (depending on age and skill level). Thats a small bike.

Rt 1 is a lot of stop and go, part of riding is taking the road less traveled. I havent done this route myself but 44 to 24 to 28 is probably the straightest shot and on manageable roads.
    Live Free or Die

Rt 24 is insane. I find it way worse than 95 with traffic and people speeding.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    The highway is safer. Sure, higher speeds generally (unless there is traffic) but not as many intersections, lights, turny roads, etc.
    This. While the problem of being less visible to cage drivers as they change lanes on the highway comes into play, I've seen very few car v mc accidents on the highway (they're usually mc vs road because of sand/oil in a corner on a corner or entrance/exit ramp or just flat out rider error). I've seen WAY too many accidents at intersectons of local roads, driveways etc. Instead of trying to pull into your lane and run you off the road like would happen on the highway, they either pull out in front of the mc or smash right into them (T-bone style).

I almost lost my left leg when a dude blew thru a stop sign and smashed into the side of me. I had to lay my bike down another time because an 18 wheeler pulled out across the road without seeing me. I've seen countless friends play superman 30' in the air because a car pulled out of a driveway or side street without looking. Teach him to never trust that cars making a left turn will see him and act as if they do not. When coming to a stop in traffic, I'd always hit the brakes 5-6 times quickly to flash my brake lights to the moron driving behind you sees that you are stopping and doesn't run you over when you stop. He needs to have the mindset that every car driver is actively trying to kill him. Not trying to scare you, but it's the truth.

I love motorcycles and riding, but the idiotic car drivers are what made me move on.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Average speed on 24 is about 85, it's two lanes and it's always under construction. Plus there's a lot of traffic and a lot of exits/on-ramps. The thing is, from Providence, 95 is the shortest way, it's 3/4 lanes the whole way, and it's generally in decent shape. It's the way to go. Bushwacking across RI and the South Coast is just not a good way to go, Taunton and Brockton are in the way, the roads suck, etc.

Personally I'd buy him a commuter pass on the train.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Personally I'd buy him a commuter pass on the train.
    That does make the most sense. Small bike + big rigs + masshole drivers = no so safe-a
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Just do me one favor and make sure he has a full-face helmet. Half helmets are almost as bad as skull caps, and hitting a grasshopper with your chin at 65mph HURTS.

If there are no country roads then 95 is the way to go. Stay in the right lane, keep your head on a swivel, and always assume that nobody sees you and ride accordingly.
    Last edited by Tippster; 06-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.

I rode down 95 from New Haven to DC a week or so ago on a just slightly newer and more powerful bike ('79 XS650). It was fine, but not something that I'd relish doing a couple of times a week.

To add to Tippster's safety advice: I have a hard time staying in the left lane on my bike on fast highways. It's just not happy cruising at anything above 70 so you end up either pissing people off or getting buzzed. I imagine that this would be even more of a problem on a 360. One reason that (imo) these just aren't ideal bikes for the highway.

Also, make sure you have good mirrors. That was another thing I noticed that I really missed. My bar end mount mirror is fine for showing me either what is directly behind me or in the lane to my left, but not both. I never noticed this as a problem when I was riding back roads (which is basically all I do), but it was a bitch on the highway. There was lots of head swiveling.

Used to ride a 250 on the highway to the Cape and friend was on a 125... Highway is the best. Besides, trucks are good for drafting and can help save lots in gas...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Used to ride a 250 on the highway to the Cape and friend was on a 125...
    Yeah but the Model A's that were passing you didn't have the engine power to accelerate uphill both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Yeah but the Model A's that were passing you didn't have the engine power to accelerate uphill both ways.
    Props....!

24? Road is a deathtrap. 85mph is average...if youre in the right lane, dodging car parts and broken glass from the gems driven out of Brockton and Taunton.

At least 95 is well paved
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    24 is the scariest stretch of highway in the state by far. People drive like crazy, the most DUI's in the state are on 24 and at least once a week I seem to hear about someone driving the wrong way on that strech. I would keep him off that road.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    To add to Tippster's safety advice: I have a hard time staying in the left lane on my bike on fast highways. It's just not happy cruising at anything above 70 so you end up either pissing people off or getting buzzed. I imagine that this would be even more of a problem on a 360. One reason that (imo) these just aren't ideal bikes for the highway.
    I meant the RIGHT lane and have edited my post accordingly.

I was wondering about that.

Damn, didn't realize 24 was that bad. I'd still be wary of a new rider on any highway on that small a bike.
    Live Free or Die

24 is a really convenient road from the South Coast area to Boston but it is for real like Death Race 2000 or some shit.

Pretty sure I still have the speed record for Boston to Newport on Rt 24... Maybe 45 mins?!

Was on my Seca 750, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I meant the RIGHT lane and have edited my post accordingly.
    Ah makes more sense.

Some riders like to stay in the left lane to avoid the incoming/offgoing traffic from exits, but it's just not feasible for me to ride at left lane speeds on my bike for long trips. On my dad's Heritage Classic with a windscreen, sure. On my bike, I prefer to cruise along at 55-60 for long rides.

Re: the highway on that size bike, it's like being a flea on a feather.
    Sounds like the train's going to have to be the ticket. (i hope) Yesterday his internship told him they're going to cover his travel on the train but he's working on the bike right now, cleaning the carbs...I'm happy for him to have that bike but was thinking the only way I'd "allow" him ride to Boston is on backroads....I don't know the area...it doesn't sound like a very good idea.

I hear the daily commute's a nightmare in a car also, traffic, parking, traffic jambs....the train makes sense./..thanks for all the input re: backroads and all the bike safety advice...duly noted

If his bike can cruise comortably at 65mph (most can, even little bikes like the Rebel or larger Scooters, and you often don't need to go that fast) then the Interstate is honestly not a problem. What - 10 exits from A-B? The problem, if any, is that it's BORING.

There's a bunch of really nice roads out along the coast though Mass in Westport, Dartmouth, Mattapoisett, Marion and so on , and south along the RI and Connecticut coast and west into Connecticut and western Mass. from Providence, it's getting towards Boston from there that's the issue. tell him to ride for fun all around there and just take the train to work. It'll be way better that way.

I hear you Tipp..the real issue is the zero experience, big rigs, and a light bike, and the worry on my end