Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is your definition of ' Enduro'?

Please opine.
    I have mine, but I am curious what the community says, it seems to be a moving target.
    (There is a good reason, I promise!)
    Last edited by rideit; 06-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Isn't that with motorcycles?

I am referring to the Mt. bike (race designation) usage these days.

An Enduro race should have multiple, timed, mostly-if-not-completely-downhill stages. Cumulative times should be between 20-40 min.

I know Enduro is the hip, trendy format right now, but its with good reason. I've done a bunch of mtn bike racing, and Enduros are the best format for racers. Not to mention, its probably the closest thing to the kind of actual mountain biking that got us all into this sport/culture.

Good overview, keep em' coming.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    An Enduro race should have multiple, timed, mostly-if-not-completely-downhill stages. Cumulative times should be between 20-40 min.

I know Enduro is the hip, trendy format right now, but its with good reason. I've done a bunch of mtn bike racing, and Enduros are the best format for racers. Not to mention, its probably the closest thing to the kind of actual mountain biking that got us all into this sport/culture.
    20-40 min seems a bit short no? Also there's usually some pedalling uphill involved. I.e. You have to get yourself uphill for that downhill, no shuttling.

Right, but some Enduros split sections that are timed for just the Dh sections, technical sections, etc.
    correct?

Otherwise, it's just a lap XC race.

Enduro is the one corner of the sport that people can race in and not be fucked with by UCI (or USAcycling for that matter).

All the media coverage has been lame as hell trying to pretend there's some new sport but it's pretty much what non dh mountain biking should be to separate itself from the VO2 max roadie BS.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Enduro n. en-dur-o. beaterdit.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

20-40 minutes of actual timed racing, but including non-timed transfer stages should at least be a few hours.

Tracks should ideally include some legit chunky gnar that pushes the limits of trail bikes, and although mostly downhill, should include a few good short climbs on the timed downhill stages during the course of the day to separate the menz from the boiz (or lil gurlz from t3h ladeez). All in my humble opinion of course.
    Keep it unclipped

A way to get trail riders to spend $75 on entrance fees.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Just for clarity, I am helping Snow King get a VERY low key, local, grass -roots 3 race series get off the ground for this summer, and I really want it to be 'correct' in what it is called.
    It really is a short lap maybe 2.5-3 miles or so), in three 'sections'. First is a singletrack climb, second is a bit of brutal cat-track/fire road climb (no way around it THIS season), followed by a mile of singletrack downhill.
    Hopefully I will be expanding the singletrack as we go, but we have to start somewhere.
    It is being billed as an Enduro, and will hopefully become a 'proper' one...
    Oh, and entry fees are gonna be dirt cheap.

I'm not sure what you'd call that but it sounds shitty (IE too climby).

No uphill stages in enduro yo.

Needs to be three descents for the stages.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well whatever you call it, it sounds better than a bunch of dudes lapping a dirt road on road bikes with slightly wider tires.

Yeah, it will be as gnar as I can make it, you should know that by now!
    Hmmmnnn....maybe I need to build some course stunts down on the private property....100 foot long, 30 foot tall teeter totter?

"Enduro" was called "Super D" a few years ago. I remember watching some Super D races at Mt Snow in 2006-2007. It was 15-20 min course that mixed in DH terrain with some climbing and singletrack. It was humorous watching some guys racing on XC bikes next guys on full DH bikes. Not surprising it was the guys on 6-7 inch travel freeride bikes that usually won.

It was easy to see the where "Enduro" bikes and racing came from.

Here's how one of the local enduro races is organized:

climbs are timed, but the times don't count towards your "race" time. BUT, the top three finishers on the climbs get time bonuses that are applied to their downhill times.

descents are timed. The descents are a mix of pedally and tech. They're technical enough that an xc bike kinda sucks, but pedally enough that a dh bike also sucks.

Usually 3-4 descents per race, with climbing in between each. Total descent time: around 30 minutes. Total time on a bike: couple of hours.

A race that has two climbing stages and only a mile of singletrack descending isn't really even close to being an enduro. You could call it a 1 day stage race or something like that.

VT, Not sure Thats quite correct. Most enduros I know of do have climbing, and sometimes a bunch of it (Ely, Nv, others), whereas Super D is generally lift or shuttle served....

And toast, I agree. But I need to be gentle, having just come on board.
    I'll be doing the Social media, (like this), so at least I can guide folks as to what it will be accurately.
    The first race is the same day as a free Steve Earl and the Dukes concert at Snow King, and I should have a beer sponsor, so it might be a good way to start the partying, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Not sure hats quite correct. Most enduros I know of do have climbing, and sometimes a bunch of it (Ely, Nv, others), whereas Super D is generally lift or shuttle served....
    Yep Super D was lift served, with come climbing. I haven't seen a Super D race advertised in quite a while, I figured it evolved into "Enduro" racing.

anyway to start out at the top via lifts to cut out one of the climbs?

If so id start at the top timed run down, transition to a trail around base or something on flat'ish land, maybe like a short track course with jumps/obstacles, transition un-timed fire road climb back to the top, different trail run down if possible timed, or hell do the same trail.

could be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
    anyway to start out at the top via lifts to cut out one of the climbs?

If so id start at the top timed run down, transition to a trail around base or something on flat'ish land, maybe like a short track course with jumps/obstacles, transition un-timed fire road climb back to the top, different trail run down if possible timed, or hell do the same trail.

could be fun
    No, no lift access at this time.
    Nor a budget to build anything right now, stunts/features wise. It's really just to get SOMETHNG going, as Snow. king will be aggressively developing Mt. Biking as soon as we have a budget.

My $.02: The enduro format looks fun, but I still prefer a long single super d race where it's feasible. I'm still annoyed the Ashland Super D turned into a multi-stage enduro. I can definitely see the appeal, but the enduro format shouldn't be used to break up the few contiguous epic super d races out there (4,000'+ vert.)--e.g., Ashland, Downieville, and the Megavalanche stuff in Europe.

For Highland's enduro they made the climb an optional part of the race for the people who wanted to race up too. The people who opted for that got earlier start times to keep the non-climbing people out of their way. The climber's prime was a separate monetary prize.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    No, no lift access at this time.
    Nor a budget to build anything right now, stunts/features wise. It's really just to get SOMETHNG going, as Snow. king will be aggressively developing Mt. Biking as soon as we have a budget.
    Is there anything around the base at all to add another stage or two? right now, sounds like a traditional XC race, which isnt a bad thing. Just not an enduro.

Not right now. Snow King is also the steepest summit-base ski area in the world, just to give you an idea of how hard it will be to put trails suitable for quality riding on it. It is going to be a challenge.
    But right now, we are just trying to get he ball rolling with what we have. It is essentially emerging from 20 years of operating at a loss (and near total collapse/bankruptcy) so it has to be 'run with what is there' for now.
    But this will change.