Pantanal Brazil, anybody been?

So I am planning on a trip with the Mrs. to Brazil next July.

The pantanal stands out as THE outdoor/nature expedition to not miss in Brazil. Iguazu Falls looks spectacular though a bit more of quick hitter, and it is already in the wife's must do plan. I have spent a bit of time in the Amazon previously and want to do something different. So, for some outdoor adventure in Brazil, it is the Pantanal.

Anybody been? I am looking at a 5 or 6 day trip out of Cuiaba, private guide named Julinho who is highly reccomended. The trip is $$$, for sure. I am pretty fired up about hyacinth macaws, and all the diverse land wildlife up to and including the ellusive jaguar. Curious to hear from those who have been.

Iguazu is pretty incredible, and the food and wine on the Argentina side is much better. As for the pantanal, the birds and piranhas are entertaining but the supposedly dangerous giant river otters really make it. I can't imagine expecting to see a jaguar. Pretty much the most dangerous big cat on the planet. I used to work at a big cat rescue and that is the one critter no one would consider going in with.

If you're in the Pantanal area, go for some of the river swims around Bonito. Freshwater aquarium snorkeling in warm clear springwater.

Don't take any chances on Brazilian wine. Big mistake.

Never been, but if you decide to hit the Rio Negro let me know. It is pretty amazing and gets way less traffic then the Amazon. The Pantanal is on my list.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    Iguazu is pretty incredible, and the food and wine on the Argentina side is much better. As for the pantanal, the birds and piranhas are entertaining but the supposedly dangerous giant river otters really make it. I can't imagine expecting to see a jaguar. Pretty much the most dangerous big cat on the planet. I used to work at a big cat rescue and that is the one critter no one would consider going in with.

If you're in the Pantanal area, go for some of the river swims around Bonito. Freshwater aquarium snorkeling in warm clear springwater.

Don't take any chances on Brazilian wine. Big mistake.
    FYI - the Brazilian area known as the Pantanal is nowhere near Iguazu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pantanal_55.76W_15.40S.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	138426

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    FYI - the Brazilian area known as the Pantanal is nowhere near Iguazu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pantanal_55.76W_15.40S.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	138426
    He mentioned both; we did an easy bus from Iguazu to Pantanal. No problem to combine with a little time. Iguazu is visually striking on a large scale, nothing about the Pantanal is.

yeah to clarify we are already planning to visit Iguazu Falls while in Brazil. done.

My question is about the worthiness of a trip to the Pantanal. I know what all the guidebooks say, the wildlife and bird people say, etc. I want to know the mag experience. Specifically what about the Panatanal is incredible. For people that spend a lot of time outside in incredible places all over the world, is the Pantanal really top shelf?

Hugh Conway Guest
    haven't been, but never met anyone who raved about a trip to the pantanal unless it was fishing for peacock bass & dorado. i guess the question is do you like guided wildlife watching trips?

paraguay's an interesting diversion for a couple days in the sleepy, tropical, tranquilo way.

while the food may be better on the argentine side, it was provincial and crappy compared to Mendoza & BA.