Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    looked on the wolf tooth and works components site. both showed out of stock. might try racefaces offering. on a bit of a hold whilst I put the new dh whip together. \m/

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    and to complete the poor man's XX1.... http://www.i-mtb.com/leonardi-factor...eral-lee-test/
    have you tried that or anyone for that matter. checked it out a while ago. I think it was 150ish euros and the sites in Italian. seems like it might be a better option than the action tec(get four new cogs for same price as one). couldn't tell how they ship. be cool to hear some feedback first

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    have you tried that or anyone for that matter. checked it out a while ago. I think it was 150ish euros and the sites in Italian. seems like it might be a better option than the action tec(get four new cogs for same price as one). couldn't tell how they ship. be cool to hear some feedback first
    I have no experience with it. From what I've read it seems to work but you sacrifice some shifting performance.

More info here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/General...Look-2013.html

nice. that bagnoli site is much better. has all the info. must be the distributor for leonardi. had the leonardi site bookmarked. missing my single ring, no front derailleur, c guide quietness. next cheque. thanks man

Finally got my 30T Wolftooth and now have a few rides in with Shadow Plus derailleur. Trails ridden so far have been North Shore and Whistler valley XC type deal ie technical trails. So far my impression is that a chain guide will definitely not be required - the chain is simply not coming off with this set up. The narrow/wide teeth have a death grip on the chain. The only downside is that the bike is super quiet now that i'm worried i'm going to sneak up on some bear/cougar.

Yes man. Waiting on a rf 30t and a 10 speeder setup w clutch. Get on that general lee eventually

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Finally got my 30T Wolftooth and now have a few rides in with Shadow Plus derailleur. Trails ridden so far have been North Shore and Whistler valley XC type deal ie technical trails. So far my impression is that a chain guide will definitely not be required - the chain is simply not coming off with this set up. The narrow/wide teeth have a death grip on the chain. The only downside is that the bike is super quiet now that i'm worried i'm going to sneak up on some bear/cougar.
    That's been my experience after two rides with a 30T Wolftooth 88mm BCD for the XTR crank on my Blur TRc. I'm still using the MRP AM-Guide though. Not really worried about retention, but still want to protect the ring/chain. Spendy chainring is spendy. Have two of the SRAM spiderless ones on the way for the one bike running those cranks.

Just left the upper guide bits on anyhow - doesn't rub/make noise, so figure why not? Especially since these have not been out long enough to really see how well they still keep the chain on as things get worn a bit.

As a contrast, I've one of these on the XTR crank on my hardtail, and it's working wonderfully. Slightly thicker, wider, and taller teeth that really hold things pretty tightly, near as much as the Wolftooth ring. Went for the stainless for some longevity. Wasn't too worried about getting the special tooth profiles on the hardtail, since the back end of the bike isn't squishing around like the other bikes. An upper guide bit only is working great. Quiet, not bouncing around or anything. Will probably throw the bash back on as well, since again, spendy chainring is spendy. Uusally fairly smooth at getting up and over things, but one tired hack moment is all it takes.

Stock XTR ring vs. the Warkawk stainless.

Anyhow, digging that these things are out there, and can only assume that these sorts of designs will pretty much become the defacto norm for single specific rings.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I've gotten two rides now on my wolftooth and zee setup. First was at the bike park (Duthie) with no issues. But hey, it's a bike park, the trails are of the flow and jump variety and thus a mellow test of the system.
    Rating: Sweet!

Running some local errands and urban shredding I managed to throw the chain in some combination of popping a curb "driveway dip" and then cutting into my ally. Cain got wedged behind the BB and ISCG tabs. Required a full crank removal to resolve and would have been real bummer on the trail.
    Rating: Not sweet.

The Zee rear derailleur was bought used from a buddy so I tried tightening the clutch thinking that could help. Then went on a pretty solid 17 mile river trail ride with some high speed loose rock, creek chutes and technical sections, had no issues! It wasn't the roughest trail but the tech sections were pretty full on and I'd consider to be a good test of the setup.
    Rating: Sweet, but not completely sold a top guide still isn't needed.

For me one of the bonuses of this setup is being able to not use a spacer behind the BB making for a better chainline in the big 36 tooth climbing gear. Running 1x10 around here it sees a lot of use as the last gear before pushing. One of the drawbacks is that there aren't really chain solutions that don't require a spacer behind the BB. Maybe the 2.5mm of chain line isn't that important but half of why I'm on the wolftooth is because of getting a lot of cross wear on my prior 30T ring and silent guide setup.

I found that with my XTR Shadow+ I had to re-tighten the clutch maybe 4 times over the first weeks of use as it broke in. Now it stays tight and I never drop my chain.