Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    It's crazy to see someone so blatantly disregard the advice of so many.

You're buying property with the potential for insurance clusterfucks, major property damage, multi-year lawsuits, and extreme bad blood between neighbors. Do you like the sound of all that? Then proceed.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Not nearly as crazy as all of the TGR posters chiming in who assume Cordova is exactly like their favorite suburb with a rash of other properties connected to city services

I enjoyed everyone's opinion. But to be honest Hugh is correct. When I read the appraisal report the comparison properties were all in my opinion allot worse than this. Sadly all real estate in Cordova has issues. Places that are worth buying are lined up for. I am buying this over renting. I really do not know how much time I will spend here other than fishing season. I do not see myself spending allot of time worrying about a landslide destroying my dream home. I was worried about legal issues and I think I have gotten the answers. There really is no extreme bad blood with the neighbors. Hopefully they will want to fix the damage and realize $1700 is not a huge additional cost.
    off your knees Louie

This thread could provide summer entertainment for years to come. I hope we get periodic updates as the work and slide progress. GoPro footie of your boat getting crushed would be awesome. Well, maybe not for you, but you get the point.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

if insurance covers the taken out boat then maybe it would be a win.
    esp. if fishing sucks
    bF

Talk with your insurance agent too. The company may not even cover your property for damages since this has already happened, and looks likely to happen again. THEN, you are the proud owner of a piece of real estate that cannot be sold, or insured. If you are financing this, you may also want to check with the bank/lender, since they may feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Talk with your insurance agent too. The company may not even cover your property for damages since this has already happened, and looks likely to happen again. THEN, you are the proud owner of a piece of real estate that cannot be sold, or insured. If you are financing this, you may also want to check with the bank/lender, since they may feel the same way.
    I got the impression that he was paying cash. But if not, to not tell the lender about something like this would be fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I really do not know how much time I will spend here other than fishing season.
    really confused, so why do you want to buy?
    if you are in commercial fishing, then rent.
    if you are recreationally fishing, then rent here or wherever the fishing is good that year.

buy a boat to live on instead?

well it did rain like 3 feet in a week last fall, that doesn't usually happen. I think the best thing to do is make MTB dirt jumps there for your kids and call it good. Does a landslide like that affect you in any way really? If you are gonna use that land you are gonna have to clear it, and really putting in a retaining wall would be smart. I wouldn't count on the law to help you, unless CDV has like a city code that isn't the normal Alaskan do whatever the fuck you want code.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Not nearly as crazy as all of the TGR posters chiming in who assume Cordova is exactly like their favorite suburb with a rash of other properties connected to city services
    Sounds reasonable but then why is buddy asking the questions like he WAS dealing on a lot in a high end suburb of colorado where he was surrounded by audi driivvng lawyers & dentists ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    really confused, so why do you want to buy?
    if you are in commercial fishing, then rent.
    if you are recreationally fishing, then rent here or wherever the fishing is good that year.

buy a boat to live on instead?
    is this an acceptable form of housing @cdv? the why is a good ? as well.
    b

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Sounds reasonable but then why is buddy asking the questions like he WAS dealing on a lot in a high end suburb of colorado where he was surrounded by audi driivvng lawyers & dentists ?
    He doesn't feel like conversing in your faux "awshucks" bullshit patois?

going to go out on a limb and suggest there isn't much for "rental" either, and living on a boat in the cold and wet.. kinda sucks.

So like buddy should have asked a lawyer & a geo tech engineer eh?

Buddy asked here so like he has to put up with all kinds of BS eh?

so like if nobody cares in Cordoba why ask the question ... eh ?

Christ, what the hell is a soil engineer? I feel like I blundered into a womens' book club here.

Just buy the damn house. When we bought our place in Key West I put a boxing ring in the backyard. I would offer 50 cents a round to any local boxers who wanted to keep me sharp. Eventually there werent enough good fighters to pass the days. I ended up going over to Bimini and offering Negroes $250 if they could last three rounds with me. When I went off to Spain to cover the Civil War, Pauline dug a goddamn swimming pool where my boxing ring once stood. Have any of you got any fucking idea how much it costs to dig down 8 feet into coral and then swap out the sea water completely every 2 days? And then garnish the grounds with African tulips and weeping figs?

Even if that whole wall of dirt comes crashing into his kitchen he is still much better off buying this house than he is marrying an Arkansas heiress with high expectations who will drain his bank account while he is dodging bullets in Madrid.

Anyway, I see no issues here, unless your new neighbor is an Armenian.

LOL, I almost spewed my coffee on my LT eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    Anyway, I see no issues here, unless your new neighbor is an Armenian.
    words to live by
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.