Thread: Juneau?

Juneau?

I may have an option coming up to move to Juneau for work. All that I have heard is that it is stupid expensive. Looking on craigslist, rent would probably be three times what I'm paying now. Overall fuel bill would probably go down despite higher prices as I wouldn't have anywhere to drive. Anyone actually lived there who could tell me what it's like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Rainy/sleety/damp, cold, beautiful as shit when/if it ever clears up, gray the rest of the time, government town, maybe 40 miles to the end of the road, kind of isolated, the fishing is pretty good, skiing fair, small town, a good place to develop a drinking problem. Do you like boats and planes? PM telemike.

Didn't live there, but I passed through a fair amount.

Doesn't AK Rover live there ?

That right there is a disqualifier.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Visited there several times. I thought the skiing and ice climbing were great. I skied Eagles Crest after a 4' dump. Great water stuff if you can afford that. BYOB - bring your own betty.

I've been here for a year and a half. feel free to PM me. It is different for sure, but my young family and I are loving it. You just learn to deal with the weather. When it is good, it is really, really good.

Since you were looking for good Chinese food in Spokane your standards must be pretty low. You will love Juneau,
    off your knees Louie

Well I wasn't expecting much for sopkompton gook food. Just something to tide me over until my next trip home.

The rain I can deal with. I grew up on the coast and spent several summers on the border of SE AK.

I'm guessing that like most of the rest of the smaller northern towns I've been to, there isn't much for white pus. At least where I am now I can drive a couple hours and have a reasonable chance of sleeping with someone I wouldn't be ashamed of. Things are starting to look up locally with the college girls back home for the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

granted, I'm married, but being around the ski area in the winter and with the cruise ship tour industry in the summer there appears to be plenty of "white pus" rolling around town.

looks like you are in mining, Greens Creek? They do buy a couple corporate passes to Eaglecrest.

Ski area is awesome I have heard. Want to visit.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I'm guessing that like most of the rest of the smaller northern towns I've been to, there isn't much for white pus. At least where I am now I can drive a couple hours and have a reasonable chance of sleeping with someone I wouldn't be ashamed of. Things are starting to look up locally with the college girls back home for the summer.
    IIRC AKPM earned his restraining order in Juneau, so there are females...

Meadow Skipper pretty much nails it otherwise.

I lived there. Juneau is awesome. The people are great. Problem is the weather is shitty but the visibility sucks. Sometimes I wonder why I left...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    IIRC AKPM earned his restraining order in Juneau, so there are females...
    Well.... at least one....

There's a reason not to move there

White pus??? Whichever way you slice it, white pus doesn't sound tempting in the least. I generally try to stay away from pus.

You can't possibly mean white pussy?? I have never known pussy to be different based on something as silly as skin color. There are some natives who are fine and others, dogs ...just like any grouping and some Tlingit young women are absolutely hot, long-necked, slim beauties!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Yep, thats Juneau,, Get some of them long necked Tlingits and maybe get lucky
    with the rare arctic fox [village girl who still has most of her teeth].