Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If the Bay is not happening you might try Rock Quarry. They can direct you at Hanalei Surf.

After a far too short of a surf on Hiada Gwaii it was decided that another warm water trip was in order,
    I'll be heading to the islands mid Nov. the plan is to hit the Napali trail for a few days then Waikiki. Any suggestions for our first and last nights on Kauai? we arrive late and are heading for the Napali so all we are after is a cheap motel or a place that if we book the 2 days we could leave some of our kit that won't be needed on the hike so I don't have to carry it.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Heading to Maui on Monday. Saw there was monster swell hit the North Shore. Anyway, going there to kite and get some waves if there is no wind. Staying at a Condo/House in Paia.

give my regards to Kanaha

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    After a far too short of a surf on Hiada Gwaii it was decided that another warm water trip was in order,
    I'll be heading to the islands mid Nov. the plan is to hit the Napali trail for a few days then Waikiki. Any suggestions for our first and last nights on Kauai? we arrive late and are heading for the Napali so all we are after is a cheap motel or a place that if we book the 2 days we could leave some of our kit that won't be needed on the hike so I don't have to carry it.
    I did a quick search and found nothing on the internet, but, fifteen plus years ago...

Right in front of Pine Trees on Hanalei Bay, a few minutes west of town, there is a hotel right on the beach. We stayed here our last night after camping around out of a car. It was cheap and clean and you can surf right out front if the swell is not too big. It was green then, with yellow trim. I think it was one story and had that late 60s kind of build; if I recall correctly.

I'd look for accommodations in the north just to be closer to everything you'll want to be around. If you are not headed around to the west, there is not much worth spending time doing south of Kaapa, and would even say east of Hanalei.

Napali is wonderful. One of my favorites ever. If you can, aim for a dry period as the Red Banks can become impassable in heavy rain.

Ya the internet is weak... there is a company that does "logistics" and has a gear storage option but I think they want you to use their rather expensive shuttle. Might just rent a car and see what happens. We have already booked camp sites so that end is covered.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Just got back. All the info in this thread is still spot on.

Every time I see someone post in this thread I get jealous. Of course my trip there two Novembers ago it was flat the week we were on the north shore.

Although I got to watch Slater surfing 1 foot Pipe on a yellow foam board with all the groms.

EDIT: although is it even Pipe at that point? I guess it's just Ehukai. I'd like to think it was Pipe though

I typed a long post but it disappeared. Oh well. Bottom line, surfed a bunch on Oahu and Kauai. HI is great. Go.

Anyone else going to be on Oahu in February? Heading there on Friday, staying near Kaneohe or/and Waimanolo Beach most or all of this month. Might get to Kauai for a couple days.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Thread resurrection for trip this week. Haven't been in nine years, hoping to score some mediocre waves, finally remind myself what it's like to surf in shorts and hang with the family. Will try to get some pics up on return.

Also trying to shake off the cold in the islands. Mid Feb.

8 days on Kauai, 5 booked in Princeville, rest open. Goal is maximum surf. However:

-Kalalau/Napali. Sounds awesome, but is it worth the limited time there? Will a day hike suffice? Not in love with bringing tent etc over just for one or two nights.

-Zone reccomendations appreciated. I'm into slightly more committed breaks, but my chica, though a competent surfer, is less inclined. IE on Maui Honolua Bay you could hang in Coconuts or Keiki bowls if you didn't want to commit to Caves.

Napali hike all the way out is one of my top three hikes of all time. Day hike to the first beach is cool, but it is only the gateway to awesomeness.

Hanalei. Main break in the Bay. Middles, pine trees. Wharf. All options. Close to where you are staying. There is a break right out in front of princeville that could work well.

Tunnels, cannons would not be her spot.

Well, turns out lots of people want to do that hike. Need a permit, and they sell out months in advance. Day hike it is!

Considering extending my stay another week, sending the chica home, and just car camping around with a pure focus on surf...

Thanks, Ott, BTW.

If you end up solo and like a commuting wave, you can camp near Tunnels if I recall correctly. Wind change, go to the other side for Cannons. Great caves nearby to duck into during the rain. Can also bring a stove inside.

Next time on Napali.

If you head out early you can go past the first beach crossing. Kind of worth going in an extra two miles as the trail is right above (couple hundred feet) above the ocean for about a mile, the. You turn into the first of several deep valleys. Views are astounding if you go that far, you get a good taste of the entire 12 miles.

I'm not advising or condoning this (I hiked with a permit), but when I hiked to Kalalau last year it sounded like many people hike without a permit. There were lots of sites available and it was clear that maybe half the people there were squatting rather than camping. Supposedly the state sends a helicopter in twice a year to give citations and kick them out, and that's the extent of control.

If you don't do the NaPali hike this time, I would really encourage you to get back to it. I do a lot of backpacking and it's pretty special. I spent two nights at the beach and I wish I had stayed longer. There's a really sweet swimming hole an hour up the valley with a rope swing that I had to myself for a couple of hours and I didn't put on a shirt all day.

Also, I left an empty rental car at the trailhead (I checked non-hiking luggage at a backpacking/canoe store on the way) and nobody broke in. YMMV but I felt less sketchy leaving the car there than in my old neighborhood in SF.

I do t think we had permits. Can't recall. And we set up camp on the bluff a few miles from the final beach.

And yes, lots of folks living up there. We met one memes Java Joe. He was a character.

Top of the page. If NW wind is blowing and you're on the north shore, Rock Quarry. Your GoogleMaps will get you there. I had the car, however, and the keys. First week, swell overloaded the place, and wound up scampering to the south, then west, to stumble onto Kekaha going full steam offshore with gaping pits. The footage looks a bit smaller for Mick, but this COULD be his magical right. Got it three days in a row. End of the trip, we checked in to St Regis, as we had the employee discount and it was about the same rate as everything else on the island. Hanalei had been weird all day, so surfed Waicoco's Lefts for a few hours, and was toast. Checked in to St Regis, and watched the trades come on and the swell drop to 2-3x OH. I almost said earlier that Hanalei wasn't a comparable wave to Honolua, but I was damned wrong. It's world class and goes forever.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

So wanted Waicoco's but we had traded the whole time. Hanalei can be a great wave, but it often ended in close out when I was there in the last bowl section. It is not an easy section to punch under, so if you got clipped on a set, you basically had to wash across the inside and out into the channel for a loooong paddle around the corner and back out.

I had a sizable day on a piece of reef all alone as the swell was dropping from big to moderate. The crew was still outside on their big boards and I was sitting on an middle section that was just starting to no be an inside closeout. I had a good hour by myself before anyone showed up. By the end of the second hour there were 25, and as it neared the third, things had dropped into the sub 10' range and there were a good 70 people out.

Bump because I'm headed to Kauai in February and this is a great general thread for Hawaii any time of year.

Fun to see my thread still going strong several years later...and my surfing ability stagnating at "still doesn't surf hudge waves".

I'll be house sitting in Kihei, Maui for 2 weeks at the very beginning of May. Looks like that side of the island will be open to S swell that'll hopefully be happening by then. Anyone have experience surfing that side of Maui? Any recommendations on where to rent a board for an extended period of time?