Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Commish, he is right. Even if it gets huge, there will be spots on the south shore that are flat. Always something in between. And that is still early season and more likely to get manageable sized swell.

Commish, you're gonna score. If he grew up in country and you roll with him, then you're golden. I was lucky to score a session at V's few years ago where my buddy introduced me to everyone before we paddled out, lots of aloha still left in the lineups. Few sessions like that on the Eastside and DH area too but country is kinda mystical in a way. If you score westside then consider yourself lucky

Yeah, pretty pumped. Figured this is probably the best bet for any sort of fun in November since snow either is just starting (if we are lucky) or non-existent, while the waves are already working from the sounds of it. Looking forward to some nice OH swell, Mai Tai's, and skimpy bikini's. Really not much else needed in life, right?

Trying to sell Mrs. Comish on doing her best Alana Blanchard imitation
    He who has the most fun wins!

The swells will be what they will be. Doubt you'll be too disappointed. It's a bigger deal to be there before thanksgiving and enjoy a less crowded vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The swells will be what they will be. Doubt you'll be too disappointed. It's a bigger deal to be there before thanksgiving and enjoy a less crowded vacation.
    Que sera, sera! Splat we should go to Hawaii, take your girl for some fun in the sun.

When are you coming back down here? You guys can crash at my place if you want to come a day early, do a beach day.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

bumping this thread since we fly out on Monday. Looks like I just missed the XL swell unfortunately

what I didn't realize is that the Reef Hawaiian Pro is going on while we're on Oahu (18th through morning of the 22nd). I'm assuming now the north shore will be clogged with pros, so I'm not really expecting to paddle out there, even if it is small.

If I try to hit some of the spots the trade wind swell filters in to will they have any sort of rental shops nearby? I'd assume these aren't going to be the most popular tourist spots like the n shore or waikiki. We'll have a pretty small car so I either need to find a local rental shop, or a place that will include a board rack.

Obviously I can do that part, but just poking around for some beta on out of the way spots I should consider checking.

I should say too that after Oahu we'll be on the big island for 6 days, staying 4 on the Hilo side and 2 on the Kona side.

Banyans looks a lot like Carlsbad on the web cams right now

^^^The north shore might be a bit easier to navigate than you'd expect, though there's not much swell on the horizon after today. Bodysurfing shorey might be your best bet if it's 1-2 ft. Waimea, Sandys, & Makapu'u will do the trick. Rentals won't be an issue, and any shop will toss a soft rack your way for a small weekly fee.
    Where are you staying? In the event that there's not much swell, there's plenty to do to keep yourself occupied. Hit me up for food, fun, etc.

When surfline said the swell was dropping off after today I didn't think it meant 1-2 haha. No worries though, GF will be excited to be able to get into the water a bit more.

We're staying just north of pupukea beach park at an Airbnb spot and we'll have a rental car. Would love to hear about some cheap but good restaurant spots in the area. Of course planning on doing waimea falls, and I think pearl harbor at some point, but besides that would love to stay off the tourist path.

1-2' Hawaiian is like chest high SoCal. Get ur shred on.

Just returned from my first trip to HI. We did 6 nights on Oahu and 3 on Kaui. I don't think I have enough for a full TR thead, so I'll just add a bit here.

It's been really rainy in HI lately, but we managed to find a bit of sun. The Poipu area on Kauai was amazing for its ability to be sunny while the rest of the island was getting downpoured on.

We got to the North Shore the day after the Volcom Pipe Pro ended. Pipe was still going off with sets in the 2x overhead range. Watching it go off for a while was just nuts. So glad I got to see it. Here is some random dude ripping it up.

After watching three dudes snap their boards in about an hour and a half, we decided to go to a place with waves a little more our size. Not that we were actually considering paddling out at pipe or anything. Haha! We decided on Ali'i next to Haleiwa which seems like the place the local kiddies go to shred. There was a plethora of 8 years olds crushing it! Most waves were just overhead. We tried to stay outside and pretty conservative positionally with respect to the main lineup as not to piss anyone off or get folded. Even so, cleanup sets were rolling through about every 15 minutes which had me paddling parallel to the reef as fast as possible while carnage ensued behind me! Still managed to catch a few of the best waves of my life though. I heard a little agro yelling going on closer to the main lineup, but that was the only animosity of the trip I encountered.

Here is a crappy pic from the 6th just to give a visual of Ali'i.

The gf's bro lives on Oahu and took us to Diamond Head over the weekend while he was off work. It is a really chill spot with mostly Japanese surfers. Lots of people, but room to spread out. I swear I was the only blonde in the water which was kind of a weird feeling. I got lazy and didn't take anymore surf pics during the latter part of the trip.

After 2 days at Diamond Head we headed over to Kauai which was as amazing as everyone says. We went to Hanalei straight from the airport. The outer reef break was surfing big, but due to the long paddle and our relative lack of skills we decided to surf the beach break which was still amazing, uncrowded, and super fun. Hanalei is a must do, IMO.

We posted up at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu due to the chance of better weather during Feb. Luckily, that decision paid off. We managed to score some wicked 50% off deals on rooms there via Hotwire. If you ever get the chance to stay there, do it. That hotel is ridiculously awesome. If there is a sicker 24 hr pool anywhere, please tell me, because I want to go! Here is a shot looking back at Shipwreck Beach and the GH. There were people surfing there, but it's mostly just sketchy shore break.

Our last session was at PK's which is right in front of the Beach House Restaurant in Poipu. It was super fun, but really shallow. There were only a handful of nice folks in the water sharing the 4-5ish foot waves (1.5-3' HI scale).

Overall, it was an incredible trip even though we just scratched the surface. I can't wait to get back. Our boat to the Napali got cancelled due to crap weather, which I obviously need to go back to see!

Kauai is truly a great place. I suggest a few things for your next trip. If you surfed Pine Trees (beach break in the middle of the bay) then you would be fine out on reefs. Maybe you were surfing the wharf, in which case, maybe you would not be fine. But the reef at Hanalei is fairly mellow until it gets in the 10'+ range and the final section is bowling and shutting down in shallow water.

As for Napali, if you can carve out three days, hike it. It was one of the top three hikes of my life, probably falling just behind a hike through the Narrows at Zion, and just before a crazy shroom hike through the Olympic Rainforest. Super lush and beautiful with waves lapping the rocks 100 feet directly below your toes.

Yeah, I guess we were at pine trees in Hanalei. We were definitely west of the pier. I wasn't too worried about drowning out on the reef or anything, but the gf wasn't crazy about going out there and it was fun to surf together. I read that the lineup out on the reef can get pretty scrappy just before the flight to Lihue and I wasn't really wanting to deal with that. Maybe, I'm extra paranoid, but I was not trying to rush anything while figuring HI out. Probably doesn't help that my haole ass sticks out so badly. Haha :-) With $400 flights from PDX, I'll be back for sure; hopefully, with more time for the Napali.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums

Bumping this for a trip this July to Oahu and Big Island-

Looking like Oahu surf spots in the summer would be Diamond Head and Makaha, plus Sandy beach for some bodysurfing. I am not on the level to be surfing Ala Moana bowls, mostly due to the crowd, but it does look fun if small. I read there are a handful of peaks at Ala Moana Beach Park that are more manageable.

Big Island looks more interesting, Pohoiki in the SE, and Pine Trees and Banyans near Kona. Seems like a lot more options on the Big Island but I don't know anyone over there so a bit of a challenge figuring where to be.

I will be renting boards over there, and a small rental car. I surf all right, mostly San Diego when I can get out of the mountains. Reefs are great, but nothing critical or overly heavy.

Tips?? thanks--

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Bumping this for a trip this July to Oahu and Big Island-

Looking like Oahu surf spots in the summer would be Diamond Head and Makaha, plus Sandy beach for some bodysurfing. I am not on the level to be surfing Ala Moana bowls, mostly due to the crowd, but it does look fun if small. I read there are a handful of peaks at Ala Moana Beach Park that are more manageable.
    Kaisers. Fun and not as localized as bowls. Breaks right next to the boat channel out in front of the Hilton. Can be busy though.

3's. Further east of kaisers. Between 2's & 4's (my dads favorite joke & wave in Waikiki) can be a little mushy sometimes. But also falls off the radar a lot.

Publics. My favorite break in Waikiki. Kinda long paddle out but that kept the crowds away. Out in front of Kapiolani park/zoo.

China Walls. Beautiful spot on the SW edge of Koko head. Usually pretty empty, can be hard to find driving around all the million $ homes.

Sandys. Always fun, but I would recommend going on a weekday. Last couple times I went were on weekends & it was just too busy for me.

If you have a military friend, or if you yourself are military, go to the Kaneohe Marine corps base. Always empty & usually catches some sort of swell. Pyramid rock was what I used to surf the most, but north beach is a little more protected from the wind. Which can be pretty bad sometimes. Kona (southerly) winds will make these spots primo.

I will be in Oahu end of September and can't decide where to book a condo in order to have the highest possibility of good conditions. South or north shore you suggest?

North Shore. There's a great movie by the same name to get your mind in the game.

Lots of 5-7' point breaks with friendly locals. You'll get as many waves as smiles!

Jajaaaa.. hey just saw a place for rent temporary for 10 g a month off of black point.. nice area...lil pricey but a few houses away is stevie nicks n I think Johnny Depp is at his house right now... or if ya want something more nice down the road near me on Kahala Ave there's a couple places to rent on the beach..... one house is 25 g a night n the house next to it is only 7 g a night. No lie.... but all joking aside just do the waikiki thing... lots of surf around.

Just tagging on here. Got a group going to Kauai at the beginning of October, staying near Hanea. Is Hanalei the spot to take a couple beginner kooks (but they're well coordinated people with ocean knowledge, should learn quick) on soft boards? Is there a decent place to rent in Hanea/Hanalei/Princeville that won't charge crazy tourist resort prices, or should I grab boards in Lihue?

From the sounds of it, Tunnels would be a bad idea even if it was small. Nobody likes getting pounded into the reef.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

DJ, second hand info but I've been told that there is always somewhere in Hanalei Bay to kook it up on all but the biggest swells. Sounds like you can just rent on the beach there.

November surf in Hawaii (that's not huge)?

Seconded. Just go to Hanalei and surf near pier. Get farther away as you get better. Just don't go all the way to Pine Trees...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442885151.564178.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	169780

http://shop.pecoff.com/collections/hawaii

Bingo. Pier. I was there when the outer bay was 40' faces. Right next to the pier was junky, but not even head high. Pine Trees was pure death close outs.

I'm in Kauai - if it's big in Hanalei stay near the pier. If not, Middles and Waikoko's can be awesome and fun.

DJSapp - plenty of rentals in Hanalei, just park your car and visit Hanalei Surf, Backdoor etc. Just as you enter town next to TahitiNui is a surf rental shop. No rentals in Haena. No need to rent in Lihue or Kapaa unless you plan to hang out down there.

Thanks. I found a couple of those shops online and their prices seem reasonable for a week long rental.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.