Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    It also is the only resort on this side of the hill with legal backcountry access...
    Legal or resort rules?
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    Legal or resort rules?
    There's a statute in summit county. That's why the nines gate is in SL Co.

I was not aware of that, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Is it just me that thinks it is strange that for the photo in the press release they show the top of 9990 with the skull and cross bones? Odd that the first thing they do is let everyone know there is back country access.
    It's just you because that's not a photo from the VR press release. It's from that stupid website.

Wait, is someone here complaining that they may dick over Talisker? Really?

This is about presence in as many major markets as possible so they can upsell people from anywhere. How long until something like a "Vail Vacations" timeshare club with a yearly fee and spots at all the major resorts?
    They also diversify their risk snowfall wise so dry seasons in one place don't dry up their revenue too badly. This model allows them to say "Hey, I know it sucks here in CO, but go ski Utah at 20% off, on us!" and BAM, more money than that person would have spent anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Does anyone here ski the Canyons regularly? How is it compared to other resorts in the area?
    It's like a typical Colorado resort. There are a ton of zig zagging lifts and cat tracks that you have to take to navigate the mountain.

Also, like Colorado because a ton of gapers get killed in Sidecountry avalanches in Dutches Draw.

I'm amazed that they still don't have a big Vermont hill in their portfolio yet.

Everyone's biggest concern should be if they're going to kick me down a pass again this year. Does Vail give free season passes to industry brahs? I just found out my winter pass will not be valid there this summer, as it has been in the past, and they have a pretty fun flow park going.

I wish they would allow Canyons access on the Epic Local pass instead of just the Epic pass. A $250 upsell over the Tahoe Local pass we have now is hard to justify since when we go to PC we usually only spend 2 days at the Canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post

Question for the Utards? Does Canyons run the lifts for bikes? I know PC has some sweet riding.....
    They run Red Pine Gondola which gives you access to Mid Mountain, and they run High Meadow to service their bike park. The trails they have are fun, there just aren't nearly enough of them compared to PCMR and DVs offerings. I won't judge the park as it's still fairly new and they're making progress- I just wish they'd run Saddleback instead of High Meadow and build some singletrack instead of just berms and doubles on a trail/freeway so wide I could drive my truck down it.

They'll need to keep stepping it up. With PCMR opening up Crescent for mtn biking this year, if they start building off of that like the whispers I'm hearing say they will, it's going to be hard to justify spending money anywhere else.

Of course if they take over the resort, they don't need to step up anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Coaster View Post
    They run Red Pine Gondola which gives you access to Mid Mountain, and they run High Meadow to service their bike park. The trails they have are fun, there just aren't nearly enough of them compared to PCMR and DVs offerings. I won't judge the park as it's still fairly new and they're making progress- I just wish they'd run Saddleback instead of High Meadow and build some singletrack instead of just berms and doubles on a trail/freeway so wide I could drive my truck down it.

They'll need to keep stepping it up. With PCMR opening up Crescent for mtn biking this year, if they start building off of that like the whispers I'm hearing say they will, it's going to be hard to justify spending money anywhere else.
    I did not know about crecent and now will be utilizing that alot. (Down hill is the right mix of fun and not too hard physically for my kids right now.) I'm sure you already know about the rougue build off of another lift, but pm me if you need details.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I can't wait till VR comes for Snowbowl!
    So you can pass the limo's on the right ??

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The savvy move is to phase out PCMR, own PC/Canyons and leverage a broader customer base via their pass, with an eventual Alta town-Brighton base-PC base tram.

The ethical move is to renig on the purchase, pay the contractual penalty, apologise to shareholders and watch Talisker bleed out over the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I did not know about crecent and now will be utilizing that alot. (Down hill is the right mix of fun and not too hard physically for my kids right now.) I'm sure you already know about the rougue build off of another lift, but pm me if you need details.
    Yeah we're all pretty stoked- I had heard rumors of it earlier in the winter, and then PCMR posted a picture on a couple of their social media accounts of the bike trays they'll utilize on Crescent to make it official. I also couldn't help but notice as I was riding mid mountain last weekend from CMG towards Crescent, right before you get to the top of King Con there's a new trail extending off of one of the switchbacks that seems to head higher towards Keystone. Pretty excited to see what that's all about.

And yeah I know of the rogue build you speak of- there are actually a few of those lurking in the shadows these days, and they all ride really, really well.

Vail: PCMR land has value, could be an 'opportunity'
    Firm acknowledges there remains uncertainty with the lease lawsuit
    Jay Hamburger THE PARK RECORD
    Posted: 05/31/2013 04:51:22 PM MDT

The chairman and CEO of Vail Resorts on Wednesday spoke in vague terms about future possibilities for the firm on the land where Park City Mountain Resort operates, but he cautioned that the lawsuit between PCMR and a firm under the Talisker Corporation umbrella leaves uncertainty.
    In a call with Wall Street analysts and reporters, Rob Katz at several points discussed the PCMR land and the legal case. Katz did not provide details about possibilities involving the acreage, saying in his prepared statement the PCMR land could "add significant value to our opportunity . . . " He said the lawsuit, though, leaves the timing unclear.
    "The opportunity with the PCMR land is not completely clear, but may offer a path that creates a very unique experience for skiers and riders in Park City," Katz said in his prepared remarks.
    PCMR and the Talisker Corporation firm are locked in a lawsuit that centers on the resort's lease of land for the ski terrain. The Talisker Corporation side contends that PCMR did not properly renew the lease. PCMR sees the lawsuit as critical to the survival of the resort. The lawsuit claims Talisker Corporation wants to eliminate PCMR as a competitor to Canyons Resort.
    As part of the agreement with Talisker Corporation, Vail Resorts "has assumed responsibility for the litigation," Katz said in the prepared remarks.
    During the call with analysts and reporters, meanwhile, Katz fielded a question from an analyst about the cost of the Vail Resorts lease of the land at Canyons Resort, which was announced on Wednesday. The agreement between Vail Resorts and Talisker Corporation also includes the potential to lease the land at PCMR.
    "But I would say there's no question that the land that is part of this opportunity underneath Park City, we feel has real value. Obviously, there's no certainty to that. So there is a bit of additional risk there," Katz said.
    He added the PCMR land is nearby Canyons Resort and "could be connected from a ski experience perspective." He called PCMR "one of the great ski resorts, obviously in terms of brand names that's out there . . ."
    Katz did not provide details about the prospects of a connection. Some sort of link between PCMR and Canyons Resort has been a point of speculation for years, but little apparent progress has been made. The PCMR lawsuit claims that the resort and Talisker Corporation in 2009, 2010 and 2011 held talks about business ideas and capital upgrades that included a possible connection between PCMR and Canyons Resort.
    In response to another question from an analyst, Katz spoke about Vail Resorts previously being interested in Canyons Resort. He said Talisker Corporation has invested heavily at Canyons Resort in the intervening years and that there is potential at PCMR as part of the agreement announced on Wednesday.
    " . . . I think the resort is in a far, far better position than it was when we last looked at it six years ago or so," he said about Canyons Resort. "And yes, certainly when we were looking at it, way back when there was no opportunity on the land at PCMR."
    Jenni Smith, the president and general manager of PCMR, issued a statement about the lease between Vail Resorts and Talisker Corporation.
    "We welcome Vail Resorts to the Utah ski community and look forward to working with them to continue to grow Utah's ski industry. As we have for the last 50 years, we remain committed to owning and operating Park City Mountain Resort and will continue to work towards a fair resolution of the lease dispute," Smith said in the statement.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Regarding SkiLink:

Vail Resorts acknowledges it must study SkiLink
    Gondola idea is a 'complex issue' that is not yet understood, firm says
    Posted: 05/31/2013 04:51:30 PM MDT

Vail Resorts this week declined to discuss the idea to build the SkiLink gondola between Canyons Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort, indicating that executives had not researched the divisive proposal.
    Rob Katz, the chairman and CEO of Vail Resorts, said SkiLink is "something we're going to have to study and get up to speed on," in response to a question during a Wednesday telephone call with Wall Street analysts and reporters.
    "We're not well versed and fully understanding all the particulars and I think after things settle down we'll certainly start to spend time with the various people involved and understand it better and understand what the opportunity is and the concerns are and proceed accordingly," Katz said. "It's not something I can respond to you yet, because it's obviously a complex issue that requires good attention and careful consideration."
    Canyons Resort owner Talisker Corporation and officials at Solitude Mountain Resort see SkiLink as something that would offer a competitive advantage, allowing customers to move between the terrain at the two resorts via the gondola. They say SkiLink could also cut traffic between the Park City area and Big Cottonwood Canyon with an environmentally friendly transit option.
    An opposition movement, though has mobilized, claiming that the gondola would ruin a pristine mountainous area. They also worry about impacts on the Salt Lake watershed and question whether SkiLink would reduce traffic.
    Part of the SkiLink route traverses United States Forest Service land. Congressional legislation that would authorize the sale of the land to Talisker Corporation stalled in 2012.
    Save Our Canyons, a watchdog group focused on the Cottonwood canyons, is one of the leaders of the SkiLink opposition. The executive director of the group, Carl Fisher, said in an interview he wants to discuss SkiLink and wider plans for the Wasatch Mountains with Vail Resorts shortly.
    "Regardless of who might be pushing the SkiLink proposal, it doesn't really change the on-the-ground impact," Fisher said.
    Talisker Corporation has indicated it does not envision SkiLink as something that will spur residential development along the route, a concern of the critics. Fisher said he wonders whether Vail Resorts will have a similar view or whether Talisker Corporation will reconsider the idea of residential development.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I know it's hard to associate yourself with the losers who only manage to rack in 10 days a year and live 70 miles from skiing. I "get" that too.

Also, consider the folks from Ohio who take one ski trip a year over Christmas. All they need to do is ski more than 6 days to pay for their pass... a ton of people far, far away from the resorts are now buying Season Passes.
    Actually I think the numbers I read somewhere were average use of the Epic Pass was 7 or 8 days. So from the resorts perspective, they are "making" money because they lock them in to their resorts, concessions, last minute housing specials, etc.

And yes, I'm one of those Midwesterners that buys a season pass somewhere every year. Business miles+direct flights Indy to Den+cheap condos+epic pass makes 10-15 days a year doable.

And yes, I laugh at my Denver friends that have passes and ski less than 10 days.

Fuck the canyons it's run by asshole nazis. Open alta to snowboards and give the canyons to skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by I fukd mrs. Ngle! View Post
    Fuck the canyons it's run by asshole nazis. Open alta to snowboards and give the canyons to skiers.
    Can't let it go can you
    carpe diem vita brevis

What does this Summit County stature prohibit? Certainly not having a way to exit the resort boundaries. If that were the case, the gate next to Peak 5 patrol shack would not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by I fukd mrs. Ngle! View Post
    didn't we meet in another thread?
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

tailicker hired merican ho as frontman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    tailicker hired merican ho as frontman!!!
    That is as good as anything else presented so far!

[QUOTE=schindlerpiste;3999601]Regarding SkiLink:

Vail Resorts acknowledges it must study SkiLink
    Gondola idea is a 'complex issue' that is not yet understood, firm says
    Posted: 05/31/2013 04:51:30 PM MDT

Vail Resorts this week declined to discuss the idea to build the SkiLink gondola between Canyons Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort, indicating that executives had not researched the divisive proposal.
    Rob Katz, the chairman and CEO of Vail Resorts, said SkiLink is "something we're going to have to study and get up to speed on," in response to a question during a Wednesday telephone call with Wall Street analysts and reporters.
    "We're not well versed and fully understanding all the particulars and I think after things settle down we'll certainly start to spend time with the various people involved and understand it better and understand what the opportunity is and the concerns are and proceed accordingly," Katz said. "It's not something I can respond to you yet, because it's obviously a complex issue that requires good attention and careful consideration."
    Canyons Resort owner Talisker Corporation and officials at Solitude Mountain Resort see SkiLink as something that would offer a competitive advantage, allowing customers to move between the terrain at the two resorts via the gondola. They say SkiLink could also cut traffic between the Park City area and Big Cottonwood Canyon with an environmentally friendly transit option.
    An opposition movement, though has mobilized, claiming that the gondola would ruin a pristine mountainous area. They also worry about impacts on the Salt Lake watershed and question whether SkiLink would reduce traffic.
    Part of the SkiLink route traverses United States Forest Service land. Congressional legislation that would authorize the sale of the land to Talisker Corporation stalled in 2012.
    Save Our Canyons, a watchdog group focused on the Cottonwood canyons, is one of the leaders of the SkiLink opposition. The executive director of the group, Carl Fisher, said in an interview he wants to discuss SkiLink and wider plans for the Wasatch Mountains with Vail Resorts shortly.
    "Regardless of who might be pushing the SkiLink proposal, it doesn't really change the on-the-ground impact," Fisher said.
    Talisker Corporation has indicated it does not envision SkiLink as something that will spur residential development along the route, a concern of the critics. Fisher said he wonders whether Vail Resorts will have a similar view or whether Talisker Corporation will reconsider the idea of residential development.[/QUOTE

Curious, would Solitude have to sign up to be a part of the Epic Pass to make this work? If you have an Epic Pass and ski THE Canyons would you ride the Gondola only to have to pay another $65 for a Solitude lift ticket. It was never clear how they were going to handle lift tickets in the Ski Link plan. Do you buy a Canyons pass for $90 then another Solitude for $65? Do they do an AltaBird type thing at a discount over two individual tickets etc,.

Maybe the number of Epic Pass holders that ski at THE Canyons on any day is small enough that it does not make a lot of difference. I assume the Epic Pass works due to money spent for food, lodging etc but then you don't encourage someone to take your lift to a different resort. If Talisker and Vail think that they will prevail in the PCMR litigation then maybe they don't want to send people across the canyon to Solitude, you have a second resort right next door so figure out that inter connect first.