Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    They added some days in St. Anton, Austria to the epic pass this month as well:
    http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...s+now+epic.htm
    and there's "free" skiing in Las Lenas if you stay at the overpriced hotels there as well with the Epic.

Are there that many people interested in the crowded epic pass weekend experience?
    It's all about the pricing of the pass. When the Epic Pass beats the price of almost every other season pass and includes unlimited skiing at 10 (+Afton Alps/Mt. Brighton) different resorts, it's pretty difficult to compete. Consider that the average Front Range, CO buyer uses their season pass only 10 days, you can see why price matters. Most Front Rangers end up buying the cheaper Epic Local pass.

For anyone who skis as a regular tourist, the Epic Pass is pretty compelling. You have to admit that.
    Last edited by Hott Butt Mud; 05-29-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I "get" the value proposition they are pushing. I'm not sure how much of an actual lockin they'll get, that's all. But I don't really know any "casual" skiers of the front range 10 day a year types anymore, and I'm not sure how many actually exist in the Bay Area/Sacramento other places they are pushing these days. It's one of those things that looks good in a spreadsheet to MBAs. If I'm booking a ski trip to Europe I could save $250 skiing somewhere other than St. Anton or Verbier and have more fun, so what's the value in "free" days?

But I don't really know any "casual" skiers of the front range 10 day a year types anymore, and I'm not sure how many actually exist in the Bay Area/Sacramento other places they are pushing these days.
    I know it's hard to associate yourself with the losers who only manage to rack in 10 days a year and live 70 miles from skiing. I "get" that too.

Also, consider the folks from Ohio who take one ski trip a year over Christmas. All they need to do is ski more than 6 days to pay for their pass... a ton of people far, far away from the resorts are now buying Season Passes.

Even 'avid' tourists here...better to buy a full pass at the village for $1200 if you have a second home or something, and ski more than 10 days.
    And you look core on the bus!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I know it's hard to associate yourself with the losers who only manage to rack in 10 days a year and live 70 miles from skiing. I "get" that too.
    nah, they are generally nicer than the core douchebags, I just don't think many exist. even seattle/portland with a quick commute there were the people who'd go once a year/socially and then the people with passes who were nuts. Not much in between.

nah, they are generally nicer than the core douchebags, I just don't think many exist.
    Well, they sure as shit exist here in RADO! In fact, they out number the core douchebags by far. Most of the gapers here live in Lakewood or Westminster and think they're the shit with their EPIC LOCAL Pass, Black Tahoe w/ski rack, and sick ass Sports Authority gear!!!

nah, they are generally nicer than the core douchebags, I just don't think many exist. even seattle/portland with a quick commute there were the people who'd go once a year/socially and then the people with passes who were nuts. Not much in between.
    Here in RADo I would bet at least half the people that buy the most EPIC pass evar average 10-12 days at most.

They've always been nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    oh, and remember it's just Canyons now. The THE got chopped.

Question for the Utards? Does Canyons run the lifts for bikes? I know PC has some sweet riding.....
    Yep. Canyons has run the Red Pine Gondola for mountain bike access to the Mid Mountain Trail for years. They run a bike park off of High Meadow lift as well. And they lent the land for the Pinecone Ridge trail, which gives great access to the Wasatch Crest trail from town.

Canyons is going to change it's name again: Park Canyontude!

you need to remember the canyons and park city are wrapped up in a lawsuit over leases and terrain

if you've ever been locked in a room with a bunch of vail lawyers you'll understand what is going on. bobby katz and his lawyers are betting that they will win the lawsuit within the next couple years and take over park city

they also get their foot in the door (taking over ski area management) start rubbing someones neck nice and slowly, then mention that they can manage the hotel better, that they can lease out this building and put their ski rental shop in over here, next thing you know their rubbing your back real nice, then ski school just took over some other empty retail, next thing you know vails dick is in your ass and you didn't know what happen

these back room slide it in nice and easy without it hurting is how vail operates, they are pretty brutal with the way they operate, without a doubt though they provide the best product and value imaginable and it can't be beat.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    The giant douche will be attending to the affairs of the turd sammy in exchange for condo rights to be named later?
    I'm glad I MOUNTAIN a mountain or 2 away from this clusterfuck of overpriced meh
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    without a doubt though they provide the best product and value imaginable and it can't be beat.
    FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    this clusterfuck of overpriced meh

DING DING DING.....WIN!!!

Although, the price seems to be going in the right direction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	138313  
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 05-30-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Here in RADo I would bet at least half the people that buy the most EPIC pass evar average 10-12 days at most.

They've always been nice though.
    Yep, I believe that over half of the people with EPIC passes average under 15 days per year.
    Old's Cool.

1-2% never even pick up their pass.

I read the article and heard the "Darth Vader music": in my head
    believe me its real.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Yep, I believe that over half of the people with EPIC passes average under 15 days per year.
    But many of those are front rangers that must drive hours to get to the resorts. It's a different story when the city is less then 45 minutes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I'm a little amazed that some posting here think that Canyons is now going to turn into real estate/condo hell. I don't think so. That's sorta what brought down ASC when they piled so much money into it. Look at the Park City RE market. No way Vail is going to put up hundreds of time shares in that. And no way the locals are going to be inspired to leave the cottonwoods for any kind of deal.

BTW, you do remember when that place was quiet and bankrupt just about fifteen years ago? Just say in'.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm a little amazed that some posting here think that Canyons is now going to turn into real estate/condo hell. I don't think so. That's sorta what brought down ASC when they piled so much money into it. Look at the Park City RE market. No way Vail is going to put up hundreds of time shares in that. And no way the locals are going to be inspired to leave the cottonwoods for any kind of deal.

BTW, you do remember when that place was quiet and bankrupt just about fifteen years ago? Just say in'.
    Park City prices are up about 35% this year. Realators are literally knocking on our doors saying I have someone who wants to buy your house, are you willing to sell.

As far as the logistics of realestate, think beaver creek / deer valley. They want to expand on the Colonies model all through the rest of the resort as well as the golf course as well as the basin behind PCMR and Deer Valley. That said, they have to overcome the least amount of snow on this side and the better terraine and snow of the real canyons. This partnered with the logistics of not being in town and the Base being a bit of a cluster. It will be interesting to see what they bring to the table. If Ski link went away, I would be excited to see how how they do this.

Does anyone here ski the Canyons regularly? How is it compared to other resorts in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Park City prices are up about 35% this year. Realators are literally knocking on our doors saying I have someone who wants to buy your house, are you willing to sell.

As far as the logistics of realestate, think beaver creek / deer valley. They want to expand on the Colonies model all through the rest of the resort as well as the golf course as well as the basin behind PCMR and Deer Valley. That said, they have to overcome the least amount of snow on this side and the better terraine and snow of the real canyons. This partnered with the logistics of not being in town and the Base being a bit of a cluster. It will be interesting to see what they bring to the table. If Ski link went away, I would be excited to see how how they do this.
    Dude, check Zillow. Condos are cheap. Maybe 23% up from nuthin', but, it's still one of the cheapest markets near so much skiing and a major airport.
    RE agents are always trying to sell shit. It's how they make money.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Does anyone here ski the Canyons regularly? How is it compared to other resorts in the area?
    It's the lowest elevation of all Utah hills near SLC. Nuff said.

Is it just me that thinks it is strange that for the photo in the press release they show the top of 9990 with the skull and cross bones? Odd that the first thing they do is let everyone know there is back country access.

Kinda what I thought. So what's the big deal? I know very little about the canyons, but from what I can tell, it fits into Vail's portfolio pretty well.

Canyons is a sprawling, sideways can't get there from here "mess." It has no base lodge and getting into and out of the resort means riding multiple lifts. Getting from lift to lift usually involves skating across flats (or taking a foot out for snowboarders). The base is low elevation and has a poor exposure so holding snow is "iffy." Climate change will soon mean missed xmas openings because of temps. There are some pine trees but most of the resort is baked sagebrush and scrub oak. The roads for homes mean endless roped off woods herding riders to the overpasses. Many of the problems cannot be fixed with money.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

It also is the only resort on this side of the hill with legal backcountry access...

ETA: it is also probably best-positioned for a raise in the typical rain/snow line, as it has easy downloading on the gondola for when there is 500 vertical feet of mud all winter above 7000'.