Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Isn't the Radical basically a PU ZZero with a different cuff strap?
    Yes, it seems to be a Zzero without the carbon stringer and a slightly wider toebox; it's nowhere near a 120 flex.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ What size are you looking for? Skookums definitely have lots of instep space, and in small sizes are sometimes crazy cheap - like 80% off when you see them.
    Most likely a 24.5 or 25. I found one site that has 24.5's for $300. They're not a first choice given the flex and weight, but assuming I can return a closeout item I'll probably try them if the Scott's don't fit. That's a tough deal to pass up.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sca...women~p~7988f/

24.5 (=25) in stock. Here's a 35% discount/free shipping code - DKT71183. If you're patient you can pick up a 45% discount code - ask in the STP deals thead.

STP is really good about returns.

Yeah, sit tight for a few days and a 40% or 45% code should appear. The 35% code I received today is BFT42679.

The Intuition liner that comes in the Skookum is pretty nice, the Mobe one is even nicer. Figure out a way to replace the heavy metal booster strap latches with plastic & velcro and you can probably cut several ounces off each boot.

I have a humongous volume left foot from injuries leading to permanent obvious swelling of the ankle and forefoot and the Scarpa Maestrale RS is what works for me. Vulcans weren't even close. I've never been able to fit into Dynafit boots, but Scarpa has always had good options for high volume feet IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sca...women~p~7988f/

24.5 (=25) in stock. Here's a 35% discount/free shipping code - DKT71183. If you're patient you can pick up a 45% discount code - ask in the STP deals thead.

STP is really good about returns.
    Yeah, I looked around a bunch based on that recommendation. Couldn't find anything smaller than 26.
    I have the Skookum in a 25, they suck IMO, at least when the boot is this small the two middle buckles collide messing with the flex horribly. I have tech soles and intuition liners coming for my Waymaker Carbon 130's. It won't be a light setup but neither is the Skookum.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

For a large volume boot, go with Scarpa.

Just confirming whats already been said… Scarpa. I went from a Skookum to a Freedom SL. I have a "6th" toe on left foot from an injury and the Freedoms are a home run. Just put em on and went skiing. Did not even cook em. The Skooks were a bathtub that skied like shit. Freedoms fu--ing rock.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I have the Skookum in a 25, they suck IMO, at least when the boot is this small the two middle buckles collide messing with the flex horribly.
    Interesting. If you could resolve the buckle interference issue how would that change your opinion? With my instep I could probably remove the instep buckle completely and never notice a performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by redlodge View Post
    For a large volume boot, go with Scarpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Just confirming whats already been said… Scarpa. I went from a Skookum to a Freedom SL. I have a "6th" toe on left foot from an injury and the Freedoms are a home run. Just put em on and went skiing. Did not even cook em. The Skooks were a bathtub that skied like shit. Freedoms fu--ing rock.
    Like I posted yesterday, I tried on Maestrale's and they weren't even close to accommodating my instep. Since the Maestrale and the Freedom share the same last I don't see how the Freedoms would be better in that regard.

I have a different sort of high volume foot (flat, normal width front, midfoot wider than the fore all the way until just in front of the ankle). I had a pair of 27.5 old style Factors that were fine for width, but were too big everywhere else and were fucking boat anchors. At the beginning of last year, I tried the Maestrale RS for about a dozen days. I found that they still required a punch around the second buckle, and even then had to keep the front two buckles very loose. This was with a 27.5 shell (my feet are 27cm on the dot).

Towards the end of last year, I wasn't happy with how the Maestrale was fitting, or it's walk, so I figured that any boot I buy will require serious punching to fit my feet, so just went for the TLT6 for the light weight and fantastic walk mode. It's had a couple punches so far, and could use another, so I'm not sure how smart a decision that was.

I don't know what else I'd try though that still fits the bill of light weight, walks great, and wider. Vulcan is supposed to be 103mm last, but I've read plenty saying it feels narrower than that. Spectre is also supposed to be 103mm, but apparently has all sorts of issues with the walk mode busting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I don't know what else I'd try though that still fits the bill of light weight, walks great, and wider. Vulcan is supposed to be 103mm last, but I've read plenty saying it feels narrower than that. Spectre is also supposed to be 103mm, but apparently has all sorts of issues with the walk mode busting etc.
    I'm crossing my fingers on the Scotts. Listed as a 103.5 mm last and general agreement that they're high-ish volume, 125 flex, barely over 3 lbs, 60 degree cuff rotation. On paper it's a great boot and well reviewed. I should be trying on a pair tonight.

Like I posted yesterday, I tried on Maestrale's and they weren't even close to accommodating my instep. Since the Maestrale and the Freedom share the same last I don't see how the Freedoms would be better in that regard.
    The Maestrale and Freedom do not share the same last, the Freedom has a little more space above the arch and more space overall in the heel. That said, neither are particularly high volume boots and couloirman must be the only person on the planet that thinks the Maestrale is good for high volume feet.

The Dynafit One/Mercury/Vulcan series is wider for sure, but pretty flat and low volume over top the foot.

The Quadrant is more roomy throughout. The old liners did indeed suck, but the new liner this year should be WAY better (assuming it's the same foam as the liner in the new Factor MX). Lots of people swap in an Intuition are are happy - this helps with the weight as well.

I haven't tried on the Scott, hope it works for you.

Otherwise the first gen Cochise is easily the most roomy AT boot I've ever had on my foot. They're easy to punch and modify too.

Unfortunately for the high volume folks, the race to make boots lighter has also led to manufacturers making the boots tighter. Less material = less weight.

I had issues with the volume and the instep on the TLT5, Maestrale RS, and Vulcan. I mitigated the problem by moving to a low-volume liner (Intuition HD Race or Pro Tongue, etc). Frankly, I was shocked by how differently the Vulcans fit (particularly in the instep) after tossing in a LV intuition liner molded for my race boots. I was able to go down a size and still alleviate the instep issue I was having with the size larger! Still needed a fair amount of punching for width, but they now fit really well with that liner. Not at all saying the Vulcan is for you; just trying to emphasize the effect of the liner.

Also 2nd the recommendation of the OG Cochise 120. Pairing that with an HD Race would make for a pretty high volume and stiff boot. (Not particularly light and no rockered sole, though.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I have the Skookum in a 25, they suck IMO, at least when the boot is this small the two middle buckles collide messing with the flex horribly. I have tech soles and intuition liners coming for my Waymaker Carbon 130's. It won't be a light setup but neither is the Skookum.
    I have thought about doing this and could also probably get away with not having the buckle there. I didn't think of it until I bought my haymakers for alpine and decided one buckle up front works. My Skookums are so played out and worn that I really lost interest in "Fixing" that problem.

From what it sounds like I have the same foot as you. The Instep is my main issue but I also have a wide foot, and sixth toe issues. I struggle with most alpine boots because of my instep so when Im shopping for Tech boots the picking is stupid small as you have found. New Scarpas do not work, they are not large volume boots like the older Scrapa's. I'm not sure why people keep asserting that the new ones may work for you... No Dynafit boot ever made will work for me and I have not tried the Black Diamond or the Scott/Garmont offerings but it sounds like they may work.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I had issues with the volume and the instep on the TLT5, Maestrale RS, and Vulcan. I mitigated the problem by moving to a low-volume liner (Intuition HD Race or Pro Tongue, etc). Frankly, I was shocked by how differently the Vulcans fit (particularly in the instep) after tossing in a LV intuition liner molded for my race boots. I was able to go down a size and still alleviate the instep issue I was having with the size larger! Still needed a fair amount of punching for width, but they now fit really well with that liner. Not at all saying the Vulcan is for you; just trying to emphasize the effect of the liner.
    .)
    As already noted in other vulcan threads that black piece of naugahyde sewn on top of the instep of the mercury/vulcan liner has a big chunk of elastic hidden under it and the whole fucking thing is 3mm thick by my calipers, for people who don't want to spend the coin it takes 5 min to unpick the stitching it with a razor blade and you will get instant relief OR I went with PW's which I am really happy with
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

high volume AT boot

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    As already noted in other vulcan threads that black piece of naugahyde sewn on top of the instep of the mercury/vulcan liner has a big chunk of elastic hidden under it and the whole fucking thing is 3mm thick by my calipers, for people who don't want to spend the coin it takes 5 min to unpick the stitching it with a razor blade and you will get instant relief OR I went with PW's which I am really happy with
    Yes, sorry. I should have been more clear—that is a known, and fixable, issue with the stock liner, but I still had issues with Pro Tours and (to a lesser extent) PWs. I bet the PW plug would work, too, but the moccasin-style forefoot on the HD Race is excellent.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have pretty stupidly shaped feet - high volume instep, wide from forefoot forward, med-low volume heel with no definition, low volume ankle.

Out of the box, the quadrant fits the best out of any AT boot I've ever tried on. The stock liners go straight in the trash, although I haven't seen this years. Replace the stock shitty velcro strap with a booster, throw in a liner that suits you, and it's a much better boot than a lot of people give it credit for. They're fairly stiff when set up appropriately, and ski well enough. Not like an alpine boot, but pretty good for an AT boot.

The dynafit vulcan wasn't even close to the instep volume I needed. Skookums were barely tolerable in the instep area, definitely lower volume than quardrants from what I remember. Pretty noticeably softer than quadrants too.

I currently ski a first gen cochise pro lite as my only boot. I had to punch the shit out of them for width, went through several combinations of heel shims, foam, liners, and footbeds, but finally got one of the best fits out of any boot I've ever had. They aren't light and the tech soles are a fucking joke (snow balls up by the time you've walked 10 feet across the parking lot, and almost have less rocker than the alpine soles...) but they flex like an alpine boot with a legit 115-120 flex depending on the liner. If you want em stiffer, swap out the velcro strap for a booster strap or the 130 strap. If you have a high instep, they may be the best option for a stiff AT boot that skis like an alpine boot.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yes, sorry. I should have been more clear—that is a known, and fixable, issue with the stock liner, but I still had issues with Pro Tours and (to a lesser extent) PWs. I bet the PW plug would work, too, but the moccasin-style forefoot on the HD Race is excellent.
    some one else figured it out besides me ...not trying to bust yer balls

I drove 13hrs to try the tongued liners at the intuition factory outlet in Vangroovy and for me with the high instep the liners with tongues were also a pain

but the PW's were happening

that vulcan shell is pretty low volume/ narrow ankle/ wide forefoot IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I drove 13hrs to try the tongued liners at the intuition factory outlet in Vangroovy and for me with the high instep the liners with tongues were also a pain

but the PW's were happening
    I could still use a little more room over the instep, so maybe I'll try the PW plug next. Thanks for the fit comparisons and insights, XXX-er.

photos

I have the same foot shape, and I just bought the bd factor mx, tried a lot of other boots, and this was the stiffest, and also verry progressive flex.

Skied them today, and they ski as well as my lange rx 130, maybe a bit stiffer in forward flex.

As opposed to every other at boot I tried, the factors were rock solid when i pushed back. Every other boot flexed about 1/2" or more.

I think this is important if you ever get in the back seat to have the support to instantly recover.

I'm putting intuition pro tour liners, as the boot doesn't flex well with the power wraps.

Lose a little forward stiffness, but the boot is plenty stiff.

The stock liners arent bad, but the pack quickly.

And the intuitions are lighter.

Nobody seems to like the factors, but to me it's a perfect boot, and I dont care if it's a little heavier, I skin for the down anyway.

Another +1 for BD boots from a dude who has a very high instep and couldn't find any other boot that had a half decent bench fit.

Results from trying on some more boots last night:

Cochise Pro Light (25.5)

I didn't expect these to fit, but 25.5 was the smallest size available. Too tight in the forefoot and loose in the heel. I found a pair of heavily discounted 24.5's online, but given how the 25.5 fit I think the forefoot will simply be too narrow. It sounds like the Triax plastic is difficult for bootfitters to work with so I'm hesitant to roll the dice and hope someone can punch/stretch a 24.5 sufficiently to fit. I was also unimpressed with the tech sole and walk mode. Stiff though.

Cosmos (25.5)

I also didn't expect these to fit, but it's the smallest shell size they make for this boot. I mostly tried it on to see if the 125 flex vs. the 120 flex in the Celeste was noticeable (it wasn't).

Celeste (24.5, 25.5)

I slipped the 24.5 on my left foot first and the fit was awesome. Then I put the right boot on and another quirk of my feet presented itself--my right foot is probably 0.25-0.5 sizes larger than my left and the right boot was noticeably more snug. Not immediately painful tight, but snug enough that it would probably become an issue when hiking for more than an hour or two. The jump to the 25.5 was too much. Kick ass walk mode though, high cuff, stiff, great sole and light as shit. There seems to be total agreement that the grilamid plastic is easy for bootfitters to work with, so for a moment I thought I was golden. Get these in the 24.5, get some work done on the right forefoot and roll.

But, then I decided to check how the BSL compared to my ZZero's. Turns out it's 10 mm shorter, and a quick check with my skis revealed that I didn't have enough forward adjustment available for them to fit. Shit!

So now I’m chewing on the following options:

1. Get the Celeste, punch out the right boot, and remount my binding toes (may not be possible, the skis were already mounted once with Freerides and then mounted with the current Vertical STs)

2. Get the Quadrant, eat a nearly 2 pound weight penalty, possibly still need to remount my binding toes (BSL on the 24/24.5 Quadrant is only 4 mm longer than the Celestes, which may just barely be enough), and need new liners.

3. Try to stiffen up the ZZero’s with beefy Intuition liners? How much stiffness can I realistically gain going that route?

Is it bike season yet? #firstworldproblems

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    I currently ski a first gen cochise pro lite as my only boot. I had to punch the shit out of them for width, went through several combinations of heel shims, foam, liners, and footbeds, but finally got one of the best fits out of any boot I've ever had. They aren't light and the tech soles are a fucking joke (snow balls up by the time you've walked 10 feet across the parking lot, and almost have less rocker than the alpine soles...) but they flex like an alpine boot with a legit 115-120 flex depending on the liner. If you want em stiffer, swap out the velcro strap for a booster strap or the 130 strap. If you have a high instep, they may be the best option for a stiff AT boot that skis like an alpine boot.
    Did your bootfitter have trouble with the Triax? Weight on these isn't too bad, but "a fucking joke" perfectly describes the tech soles. I haven't quite written them off completely yet though since they do seem like they would ski great and there is plenty of BSL to avoid a binding remount.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I skin for the down anyway.
    Me too, but that weight really adds up when you've been walking for 8 hours.

Option 1 sounds best to me. Option 3 could work also—in addition to a powerwrap liner, you might try adding a Full Tilt tongue.

photos