Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

high volume AT boot

Currently ski Technica dragons slayer in a traditional marker binding, but am interested in doing more backcountry. I have a wide foot with a pretty high arch and also cold sensitive. (love my foot warmers). So I am looking at AT boots and cannot decide - Dynafit vulcan, TLT6, blackdiamond quadrant, Scarpa maestrale RS. All of these are stiff AT boots that would be able to drive a wide powder ski (~120 underfoot) but still light enough to be good on a 1-2 hour trek.

Does any one here have insight into how wide-narrow these boots run??

Just to get the discussion started here: if you have a high instep, you should be careful of the Scarpa Maestrale. I have a high instep and I could never get the Maestrale to be comfortable. It doesn't have a boot board, so I couldn't get enough instep volume.

Scarpa's Skookum has a high volume fit, and it's on sale on places like the scarpa.com site. And the Scarpa Mobe (a stiff boot) has a high volume fit and a boot board that you can take down for more room.

Of the boots you mentioned in your post, the BD Quadrant is the most likely to accommodate a high-volume foot.

Quadrants are the roomiest. They are also not as good as the others.

big feet need the bd boot with an intuition power wrap size big.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Quadrants are the roomiest. They are also not as good as the others.
    tnx all for your replies.

but care to elaborate on BDs not being as good? too heavy? too mushy?

powerwraps will give them the extra stiffness that a tongue liner doesn't. they work fine for skiing.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    I have a wide foot with a pretty high arch and also cold sensitive. (love my foot warmers). So I am looking at AT boots and cannot decide . . .
    I assume you mean high instep (the top of your foot, not underneath) it? You'll likely continue to have a hard time deciding if you just rely on comments from a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum, you should go somewhere and try them on. If you are really width/instep challenged, the Black Diamond last is the best bet at present (the Quadrant isn't very stiff, you might look at the Factor 130). The Atomic Waymaker boots (2014 models) have a very similar wide and tall last.

The Scarpa Maestrale/Maestrale RS are actually roomier over the instep than the Vulcan/Mercury/One, and I've had success punching the flip-over tongue to create more room. The Dynafits are similar in forefoot width but narrower in the midfoot and heel. You won't know until you put some on your feet - if you're in an unmodified Dragon Slayer (100mm last, not that high volume) you could find many of these will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Tecnica Cochise 120.
    I came here to post this. Also, the Tecnica Agent BC120 has a pretty big instep, and with a WC Booster strap I had no problems skiing a 120-waist ski with them.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

The Scarpa Maestrale/Maestrale RS are actually roomier over the instep than the Vulcan/Mercury/One, and I've had success punching the flip-over tongue to create more room. The Dynafits are similar in forefoot width but narrower in the midfoot and heel. You won't know until you put some on your feet .
    A bud who described himself as having a " hobbit foot " was a quadrant lover 2 yrs ago using intuitions, last season buddy got a good fit putting the intuitions into the ONE but going up a size
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

does anyone know the weight of the new atomic at boot?

is there a boot as stiff as the factor 130, but lighter?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    The stiffest boot would likely be the Vulcan, which is lighter than the Factor 130. The most-alpine-like stiffer boot would be the Cochise Pro 130. If you throw an Intuition into the Cochise Pro 130, it'll be lighter than the Factor 130. The Cochise Pro Light is ok, but the Pro 130 is significantly stiffer due to the powerstrap buckle.

Atomic says 1779 grams @ 26.5 for the Tour 110 (thermo liner, Tech fittings) and 2142 for the Waymaker 130 @ 26.5.

Vulcan, Mercury, Cochise 130 Pro . . . but the fit is way narrower on all of them. Lange XT 130 weighs 2138 in a 26.5, a little more than the Factor 130.

Quadrants are mahoosive in the forefoot but tightish in the heel. I just got a pair second hand and I think they ski great. That's coming from a guy who races ski cross, competes in big mountain comps and whose other boots are 140 flex Head Raptors.

why not try some on. and see what fits YOU the best?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    why not try some on. and see what fits YOU the best?
    yes, i know, but no one bootfitter has all of these. i swear by benny at the inner bootworks at Stowe-he did a great job for me twice already- but his shop doesnt carry dynafit. maybe the have black diamonds but i'm not sure. i guess i could go there and let ya'll know how i get on. tnx.

My advice- call backcountry.com, tell them what you're planning on doing, buy all the boots you want to try on using your credit card, then return all but the one you want. I did this, and BC.com agreed to comp return shipping. Allowed me to try on all the boots I wanted over a period of a week in my living room.

I have similar feet to what you described and ski BD Factors with Intuitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new suggestions. My foot is super wide for its length (size 7 at most and EE width) and I have a super high instep. So far I've tried on the Maestrale, Spectre and BD Prime. The Maestrale and Spectre both crushed my instep. The fit on the Prime was good, but they didn't feel all that stiff and stiffness is the primary reason I'm shopping for new boots. I'm assuming the Quadrant will fit the same and be marginally stiffer, but there seems to be universal agreement that BD's liners suck and the Quadrants might be the heaviest boot in this category.

Based on previous posts in this thread I'm assuming that anything from Dynafit (Vulcan/Mercury/One) is out. I'm also assuming Salomon is out (98 mm last) and anything else from Scarpa. From what I can find on google that leaves a pretty slim list of other possibilities:

-Scott Cosmos
    -Coshise Pro Light (non-rockered sole is a big drawback here)
    -Atomic Waymaker Tour 110

Has anyone been in any of these boots and the Prime/Quadrant and can compare the fit/volume? Anything else out there I'm missing? Here's my list of needs:

- 110 flex minimum, 120 preferred
    - 4 lbs max per boot, but 3.5 lbs or less is preferred
    - Rockered AT sole highly preferred

Try the dynafit radical 120 flex

I tried the maestrale, and cosmos prior and felt this was wider.

Gonna get a set of intuitions to make them super nice.

I have also heard that dalbello's run wide but have not tried them.

I had two seasons on the Garmont Cosmos. Had them repaired before this season walk mode and tongue. Put them on beginning of season and found out my foot has grown since last season . Kind of got longer and wider. Tried on all the boots again. When I tried on boots they did not have the new Cosmo in the size up from my old cosmo. I was planning on going with the quadrant as it fit my wider foot. Anyway when I went back to purchase they had the Cosmo in the next size up. I purchased them. Only have four days so far on them. I think Scott is really trying to make a good boot. They have adressed the walk mode as well as the tongue issues. There was a dynafit that seemed to fit well but I do not like the walk to ski set up personal preference thing.
    off your knees Louie

I mentioned above, and it's still true, that Scarpa's Mobe and Skookum are high volume - more room than Quadrants. Both models discontinued, but available in some sizes at places like STP.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Try the dynafit radical 120 flex
    Isn't the Radical basically a PU ZZero with a different cuff strap? My current boot that I'm not satisfied with is the original ZZero C. Evo lists them as a medium on their stiffness scale and weight-wise they're right up there with the Quadrant. Worth trying on I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I mentioned above, and it's still true, that Scarpa's Mobe and Skookum are high volume - more room than Quadrants. Both models discontinued, but available in some sizes at places like STP.
    Yeah, I looked around a bunch based on that recommendation. Couldn't find anything smaller than 26.

^ What size are you looking for? Skookums definitely have lots of instep space, and in small sizes are sometimes crazy cheap - like 80% off when you see them.

^^^not sure about fit compared to the zzero, I just tried them on and they fit better than the maestrales I demoed and the cosmos.

And way better than the freedom's.