Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Did your bootfitter have trouble with the Triax? Weight on these isn't too bad, but "a fucking joke" perfectly describes the tech soles. I haven't quite written them off completely yet though since they do seem like they would ski great and there is plenty of BSL to avoid a binding remount.
    Not really, although it does tend to shrink back after punches a bit, mainly with more severe punches. It took a few times, but I basically made mine look like a quadrant last from the forefoot through the toe box without any real issues. I also had to size down a shell size to get the heel pocket to feel even close to right. Granted I don't know exactly what your feet look like, but given what did to mine, I wouldn't be scared to downsize.

The stock liners are also pretty low volume overall, including the ankle/heel area. Boot fitting foam, heel wedges or shims, and a higher volume liner helped dramatically in that regard.

I wore the Celeste around the house for almost 2 hours tonight and they felt even better than last night. I think I'm sold at this point. Thank god the color scheme isn't too terrible compared to some women's boots. I wore them side-by-side with the Cochise a bit too which I didn't do yesterday. The Cochise's walk mode was a lot better than I remembered, but I think the Scott's are going to ski damn near as well and will definitely walk a lot better.

So, I pulled off one of my binding toes. Hmmm....

My only option is to go back a full inch and re-use the rearward holes. 2.5 cm on a 174 cm ski is a huge jump, so I checked the boot centers of each boot when mounted to the toepiece. The Celeste's boot center was almost a full cm ahead of the ZZero boot center, so it looks like it I'll only end up with a net move of 1.5 cm. That probably won't be too noticeable and it's a relatively center mounted ski.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Curios is your in the cosmos/celeste or cosmos II/celeste II
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Second gen versions.

So, I pulled off one of my binding toes. Hmmm....

My only option is to go back a full inch and re-use the rearward holes. 2.5 cm on a 174 cm ski is a huge jump, so I checked the boot centers of each boot when mounted to the toepiece. The Celeste's boot center was almost a full cm ahead of the ZZero boot center, so it looks like it I'll only end up with a net move of 1.5 cm. That probably won't be too noticeable and it's a relatively center mounted ski.

heli coil and re-use the old holes?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    heli coil and re-use the old holes?
    I'm not quite following you. As I said the plan is to re-use the rearward set of current holes. I fixed the pic so it's not tiny, that may clear things up.

if the celeste tongue is the same as the cosmo be sure and locktite the screws holding the tongue. Noticed mine were loose today.
    off your knees Louie

So, went into the shop yesterday to try and get my TLT6s widened some more and am getting a lot of grief from them about it being too narrow, that they don't think they can do it, etc. Some of it is shop bullshit trying to sell me a different boot (Fischer Transalp) but there may be done merit to the problem.

The Transalp is out of the question because it's ROM is awful and it's heavy, but I'm putting together a list of stuff to look at if they can't make the TLT6s work for me. Any suggestions?

Maestrale RS is too narrow and I wasn't thrilled with the walk mode. My foot is very flat, very wide in the mid but average in front, low height but sensitive tops, small ankles. Thoughts on Quadrant, Spectre, Vulcan, and Cosmos? I already have a set of (unmolded) Intuition Pro Tours.

Spectres are not going to be great for your wider foot or sensitive tops. My foot is definitely not wide and no 6th toe issues in most other fits. But I have noticeable pressure on my 6th toe and of course the low volume instep.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

triax is easier to work with than grilamid. from someone who owns and has worked on both Cochise 120s and TLT6s. the tlt 6 is actually somewhat roomy when you realize a 26 is actually a 25, marked as a 26 to make it seem lighter. My 27.5 TLT6s shell fit about the same as my 26.5 Cochise (2014/2015) for length.

i dont buy the cosmos skiing better than the tecnica. real nice boot though, hope it works out for you.

I'd avoid most of the BD offerings if possible. Unless you have a real club of a foot, there are better options out there.
    Translap ROM is shit as mentioned.
    Still unimpressed with the salomon walk mode. meh ROM and soft as shit. Atomic is slightly better. The Waymaker fits bigger than a Cochise in my experience. I can fit into a 25.5 with zero to minimal modifications. The upcoming dedicated touring Salomon and Atomic boots will be better for ROM.

I can't believe people are even mentioning the Mobe and Skookem other than to mention how much better everything in the world is compared to them, in every fucking regard.

Scarpa freedom is not a bad choice to compare against the cochsie. They are easily the two best 'crossover' boots. I prefer the Cochise.
    The Liner in the cochise pro-light is lighter than either the Pro-tour or Dynafit CR by the way.

Spectre is soft as shit, and folds out once you get deeper into the flex. Similar to how the Vulcan/Mercury flex like breaking through a brick wall, but more along the lines of taking a rubber wall past it's elastic point. Total reverse of a 'progressive' flex.

I'm leery of the Freedom due to it's weight... I'm looking for something in the same weight class as the Maestrale RS, and at least the stiffness of that or the TLT6.

I'm also slightly adverse to the BD boots because I heard their fittings aren't compatible with Beast (which I don't have but may in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Maestrale RS, and at least the stiffness of that or the TLT6.
    How does one even compare the stiffness of the RS to the TLT6, except for not at all similar? The TLT6 is soft as shit, softer than the orange Maestrale.

I'm also slightly adverse to the BD boots because I heard their fittings aren't compatible with Beast (which I don't have but may in the future).
    No boot is, until you modify it. There are better reasons to be adverse to BD boots though, and likely better bindings than the beast.

I'm leery of the Freedom due to it's weight... I'm looking for something in the same weight class as the Maestrale RS, and at least the stiffness of that or the TLT6.

I'd say you should definitely at least stick your foot in a Vulcan/Mercury/One and see what you think. It's wider in the mid and forefoot than the Maestrale for sure, and probably than the TLT6 (which I've never tried on). I'd guess you'll still need some punching in the midfoot, but otherwise it might be a good fit.
    All three of those boots are the same last, just different materials/flex/price.

Maestrale RS is too narrow and I wasn't thrilled with the walk mode. My foot is very flat, very wide in the mid but average in front, low height but sensitive tops, small ankles. Thoughts on Quadrant, Spectre, Vulcan, and Cosmos? I already have a set of (unmolded) Intuition Pro Tours.
    I thought the Spectre fit was very similar to the Maestrale and I didn't care for the buckles at all. Never tried on the Vulcan but it should fit similar to the TLT6. Quadrant and Cosmos are both possibilities but you never know until you get them on your feet. The Quadrant may be too high volume if you have a low instep.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    triax is easier to work with than grilamid.
    Huh, I read the opposite. I read it on the internet, it must be true!

i dont buy the cosmos skiing better than the tecnica. real nice boot though, hope it works out for you.
    I said I thought they would ski "damn near as well", not better. In my extensive living room testing (couple hours wearing each around the house) I thought the forward flex was pretty much indistinguishable and the cuff is definitely taller on the Scott. All things being equal an overlap boot like the Cochise is always going to ski better, but either one is going to ski wayyyyy better than my ZZero's so the Scott's got the nod based on the much better weight, sole and walk mode. The Cochise would have also probably required a lot more boot work since they were noticeably narrower.

than my ZZero's so the Scott's got the nod based on the much better weight, sole and walk mode. The Cochise would have also probably required a lot more boot work since they were noticeably narrower.
    For what it sounds like you are looking for, I think you made the right call. The Cochise is a cross over boot. The Scott/Garmont is a dedicated touring boot.

So, went into the shop yesterday to try and get my TLT6s widened some more and am getting a lot of grief from them about it being too narrow, that they don't think they can do it, etc. Some of it is shop bullshit trying to sell me a different boot (Fischer Transalp) but there may be done merit to the problem.

The Transalp is out of the question because it's ROM is awful and it's heavy, but I'm putting together a list of stuff to look at if they can't make the TLT6s work for me. Any suggestions?

check out the Mercury or Vulcan they are the same boot other than the color/ carbon cuff of the Vulcan/ mo money, IME its a fairly light boot with a narrow heel/wide forefoot/ lots of ROM/ lots of power and a liner that sucks if you got a high instep

edit :I also have a flat foot
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-18-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How does one even compare the stiffness of the RS to the TLT6, except for not at all similar? The TLT6 is soft as shit, softer than the orange Maestrale.

No boot is, until you modify it. There are better reasons to be adverse to BD boots though, and likely better bindings than the beast.
    I don't know, I feel with the black tongue, the TLT6P is as stiff up front, and doesn't fold when you really lean in like the RS. It's all relative, but I feel the 6P is sufficient in that regard.

WRT the Quadrant, I'm talking about the toe box height... I saw something indicating the height on it could bang into the lever when fully rotated causing problems.

I'll probably give Backcountry a call and see what they can do about shipping me pairs of the Cosmos, Vulcan, and maaaaybe Quadrant to try on. The ski shop I mentioned called me & gave me a bunch of excuses and quoted $200 and 2+ hours of work, so needless to say I'm now looking seriously at other options.

pairs of the Cosmos, Vulcan, and maaaaybe Quadrant to try on
    That is an interesting selection. If you need the flex of the Vulcan (stiff as fuck) neither of the other two would be worth trying

I'll probably give Backcountry a call and see what they can do about shipping me pairs of the Cosmos, Vulcan, and maaaaybe Quadrant to try on. The ski shop I mentioned called me & gave me a bunch of excuses and quoted $200 and 2+ hours of work, so needless to say I'm now looking seriously at other options.
    Chat in with a gearhead, have them place the order for you and ask for free return shipping. Any order they place for a customer over $500 looks really good on their stats, so they are more than happy to comp the return shipping for you when you are ordering $2,000 worth of boots. Outbound shipping is already free on orders over $100.

If you are considering the Vulcan, you might as well throw in a pair of Mercurys while you're at it.

I've got a fairly high instep and somewhat wide foot.. I tried on a bunch of boots last year, and ended up going with the Dynafit Titan Ultralight. It required some work to widen it, however the overall fit is now excellent. They're nice and stiff, so they ski well (which was a huge priority for me). And they seem to have a pretty decent walk mode.

Only complaint with the Titan UL is that they leak... After a day out in the powder, there's quite a bit of snow between the liner and the shell. I've made a bit of a ghetto gorrilla tape snow dam, and it seems to work.

The ski shop I mentioned called me & gave me a bunch of excuses and quoted $200 and 2+ hours of work, so needless to say I'm now looking seriously at other options.
    A rule of thumb in business is if you don't want the job cuz its gona suck just bid really high and ...it worked eh?

The Mercury is the same boot but less stiff than the "stiffer than fuck" Vulcan, also its 200$ cheaper and probably all you need IF it fits
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know