Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"NO, but we can order that for you"

Anyone else sick of hearing this response from their local bike or ski shop? I'm not asking for some random part for a random bike, I'm asking about pedals, a helmet, a bike for the wife, and a dropper seatpost. Wouldn't mind holding them in my hands before buying them. Well guys, I too have the internet, I don't have a QBP account, but I can order stuff from the internet and not pay tax, or shipping, and get a better return policy than your shop could ever hope to provide. So what do you expect me to do in this situation? Honestly, I want to support local businesses, but when you run a shop out of a catalog, it's kinda hard for customers to make an impulse purchase. I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket and sure would have liked to throw down for a dropper post or new helmet, but I guess I'll hold off.

I know, first world problem, I should be more patient and forgiving. But I worked in a few shops in my day, and the "We'll order it for ya" response was usually a cop out that rarely made a sale, and usually ended up costing the shop money. You don't have to stock everything under the sun, but there's a few things that shops should have on hand besides tubes and tires.

Sorry for the rant, but shop owners who just sit back and complaint about how the internet is ruining their business get no sympathy from me anymore.

Yeah, every shop should have every thing YOU want in stock and wasting their money on the shelves until you come in...

It's a business. You know how much money is lost on dead stock? You order what you know you can sell and special order other shit and one offs.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

So shut the fuck up and go buy it yourself then!

The internet is truly ruining one thing for sure- customers' expectations of strolling into every mom & pop store and having more options than an REI AND get their dick sucked just for walking in the door. Do yourself a favor and temper your expectations next time, the internet =/= storefronts.

If they don't have it in stock, you already know your options. Also, some shops just suck- if that's the case just stop giving them your business. If you've worked at shops before, this should be a no brainer since you can probably pick up on the warning signs easily.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Hugh Conway Guest
    1) At least they are trying
    2) It pisses me off if the try and weasel around what, if any, shipping costs there will be
    3) Or if they give inaccurate information regarding availability or cost. "oh, it'll be hear next week" call next week "oh, it's backordered, couple months". or "it'll be $50" when it comes in "oh, that's $150"

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Yeah, every shop should have every thing YOU want in stock and wasting their money on the shelves until you come in...

It's a business. You know how much money is lost on dead stock? You order what you know you can sell and special order other shit and one offs.
    Exactly

... and then after handling it in the shop if they do carry it, you walk out and order it online anyway.

Being a brick and mortar shop these days sucks in so many ways.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'd rather hear, "No, we don't carry that item" or "we're all out of those",than "No, we don't have that, but let me just order it for you from QBP"

This ain't a small shop, they've got lycra for days, don't see anyone banging the door down for some new nut huggers.

I get the inventory management concept. I've dealt with it. Maybe they are just focussed on other things with better margins. But hey, don't string me along with what you can order for me, just be honest.

Wow you are soo worldly. You mustve worked in every industry ever created since you have a fucking answer for EVERYTHING....arent you like under 30? Why dont you shut the fuck up and go back to your moms basement you douche.

The problem with "I can order that for you" is that it means "I can order that for you....when we do our ordering...next week."

The key to surviving brick and mortar is to have a solid online presence as well, not just some shitty thrown together site.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wow you are soo worldly. You mustve worked in every industry ever created since you have a fucking answer for EVERYTHING....arent you like under 30? Why dont you shut the fuck up and go back to your moms basement you douche.
    No, I'm 34. I have worked in pool stores, ski shops, skate shops, bike shops, a video store and a liquor store. I think I understand you can't stock every single fucking item any person wants. Go off yourself shitheel. If you don't like my responses, fucking ignore me dickhead.

No, I'm 34. I have worked in pool stores, ski shops, skate shops, bike shops, a video store and a liquor store. I think I understand you can't stock every single fucking item any person wants. Go off yourself shitheel. If you don't like my responses, fucking ignore me dickhead.
    Either way bro..you gotta admit you put your 2 cents in anywhere and everywhere. You aint been around the block that long but you do have a damned answer for everything...i could ignore you but when im bored i like to poke at others for my personal enjoyment. Not to mention just cause you worked at this or that store doesnt mean you know shit about how to run it. I worked at an accounting firm...i dont know shit about accounting..

I must admit that i did wish you response was more harsh so we could have a little back and forth, are you maturing??? Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    The problem with "I can order that for you" is that it means "I can order that for you....when we do our ordering...next week."
    this is true. Saying they can order it in is ok by me, so long as the order is done & arrives in a reasonable time. For my local, reasonable means a week or 2 (because that's how long it takes for internet stuff to arrive anyway).

Its truly shitty when you get told, "no we don't have it, our next order from xxx supplier will be in about a month. Come back in 6 weeks & we might have it in". Fk that.

Either way bro..you gotta admit you put your 2 cents in anywhere and everywhere. You aint been around the block that long but you do have a damned answer for everything...i could ignore you but when im bored i like to poke at others for my personal enjoyment. Not to mention just cause you worked at this or that store doesnt mean you know shit about how to run it. I worked at an accounting firm...i dont know shit about accounting..

I must admit that i did wish you response was more harsh so we could have a little back and forth, are you maturing??? Hmmmmm
    Everything? I discuss and comment about what I know and/or have experienced. I know retail so I commented. Do you see me talking about fishing? Nope. Do you see me discussing DIN settings or where to mount skis? Nope. Do you see me talking about why your lesbaru is making a clicking sound or some shit? Nope. Do you see me telling people how to fix their faucet? Nope. Maybe you just get upset that I comment on things that you also know and are somehow offended that someone like me may actually have an opinion on the subject? Start looking inside instead of looking outside my friend as I think you have some anger issues.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I'd rather hear, "No, we don't carry that item" or "we're all out of those",than "No, we don't have that, but let me just order it for you from QBP"
    You want the dead end closing off the customer sales person? WTF?

This is why I buy 90% of my gear online. I have no patience for shops anymore.

Start looking inside instead of looking outside my friend as I think you have some anger issues.
    Here we go again.... took psych 101 in college didnt you...???

Only "issue" i have is with know it alls....and you are one...

This isnt as fun as i thought it was going to be...bummer.

I worked at an accounting firm...i dont know shit about accounting
    Maybe if you had paid closer attention you'd realize that, at least in this case, system is correct.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    So shut the fuck up and go buy it yourself then!

The internet is truly ruining one thing for sure- customers' expectations of strolling into every mom & pop store and having more options than an REI AND get their dick sucked just for walking in the door. Do yourself a favor and temper your expectations next time, the internet =/= storefronts.

If they don't have it in stock, you already know your options. Also, some shops just suck- if that's the case just stop giving them your business. If you've worked at shops before, this should be a no brainer since you can probably pick up on the warning signs easily.
    I wouldn't have said it exactly like that, but this^ is pretty spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Maybe if you had paid closer attention you'd realize that, at least in this case, system is correct.
    I dont know whos correct or not...is there a correct???? Everyone runs their businesses differently. Ive seen what i think are fucked up practices yet a place still rakes in cash...other who you'd think were doing the "right" thing go under...its fickle..

FYI System is NEVER right imho...

That is all.

People are so impatient. If you take the time to build a relationship with your local shop and spend money there you just might start seeing discounts and freebies. Most of the time my local shop will sell things for less than I can get them on the net. Sometimes I need a small part and they just hand it to me, "we'll make it up next time". There is a lot more to value than instant gratification and price.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    People are so impatient. If you take the time to build a relationship with your local shop and spend money there you just might start seeing discounts and freebies.
    Or you might get seen as a money tree by a crappy shop and milked dry.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    People are so impatient. If you take the time to build a relationship with your local shop and spend money there you just might start seeing discounts and freebies. Most of the time my local shop will sell things for less than I can get them on the net. Sometimes I need a small part and they just hand it to me, "we'll make it up next time". There is a lot more to value than instant gratification and price.
    This too. I once worked in a bike shop where the code for certain "I want it now" customers was IG.

and:
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Being a brick and mortar shop these days sucks in so many ways.
    This.

I went to the local Ace hardware to buy some Krylon fusion plastic paint. The finish I wanted came in like five colors. They had four colors but not the one I needed. The guy there said they could order some, but they would have to buy six, and I got the impression they did not want the color in stock. I ordered it from Amazon for a premium price, but "free shipping" and no tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Or you might get seen as a money tree by a crappy shop and milked dry.
    I guess if you were stupid enough to get milked dry you might deserve it.

My son found out on a cross country bike trip that it is not possible to find a $9 Fuji derailleur hanger in the great states of Nebraska and Iowa. You can find a new bike though.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    This ain't a small shop, they've got lycra for days, don't see anyone banging the door down for some new nut huggers.
    Stop trying to buy mtb gear in a roadie shop. Problem solved.