Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whistler Bike Park and trails conditions

Trails in good shape

New South Wales represent!

Two riders from Hobart, Tasmania and one from Bath, England

Advice from an instructor for first timer bike park noobs

"Keep your pedals level"

"Don't make A-line your first (and likely your last) run ever" — Sebastian Bunney (who moved here from the UK just three years ago and now is living the dream).

Lineups to get the pass are going smoothly. Whistler Blackcomb has a lot of staff there to keep things rolling

Lee at a bike park? WTF?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Lee at a bike park? WTF?
    I needed to test some 400g single ply Conti Race Kings

More!

From an 11 year veteran of the WBP who began patrolling when the only trail was B-Line

"Take a warm up run"

"Check your bolts and your bikes after a few runs. The Park is hard on bikes". — with Shawn Beaudoin.

From a guy who's worked with trail crew for the last three years: "Progression is key - start small and build from there" — with Trevor John Berg.

Rob McSkimming is the bike park's "dad" and proudly looks after his other kid as it starts the season.

Lineups weren't bad - 15 to 20 mins. That's good for opening day. So many trails were open everyone spreads out

Straight from Squampton. The Goldstones enjoy opening day — with Ron Goldstone.

Get your tickets!

Berms are fresh!

1st run 1st scar. Who left rocks on the trail? And where are all the Pivots?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    heh.

Well that paver courtyard around the base of the lifts is certainly the appropriate terrain.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well that paver courtyard around the base of the lifts is certainly the appropriate terrain.
    Conditions are kind of unreal. Even CIU is buff - feels so weird to not have bombholes in the berms. Ninja Cougar smoooooth. Huge berms to lean into on HOD. Big berms on lower A-line. Early snowmelt gave trail crew time to setup beautiful work. Dirt is so tacky --- just enough moisture to perfectly form.

they gave me a pass this year to force me to go ride the park more - so might as well do it i suppose. you'll be up again this year?

In the afternoon we blew out of the park to ride Kill Me Thrill Me on the north side for some xc

26ering on the Firebird

All mountaining 650bing on the Altitude

nice. gotta make a road trip and get the kids up there this year.

Awesome awesome day. Didn't mind the line since my body needs to get used to riding fast DH laps, after riding all xc since Easter lol

they gave me a pass this year to force me to go ride the park more - so might as well do it i suppose. you'll be up again this year?
    Yeah man. Looking like late july. Get yoself the hookup on an 8&8 bike and let's go get stupid.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Yeah man. Looking like late july. Get yoself the hookup on and 8&8 bike and let's go get stupid.
    For once i should be in town - have some Chilcotin deathmarches planned but that's it otherwise

Quick edit for some of the lower trails
    - B-Line
    - Ninja Cougar
    - Crank it Up
    - Heart of Darkness

Super Jealous....

What size Altitude you running? At a little over 6'1 I'm having trouble deciding between Large and XL.

^^^ medium i ride smallish frames

We hit Lost Lake today and had a fantastic time. Such fun trails. Things are in great shape.

It peed rain all day. Bike Parkers were looking wet. Weekender crowds did not materialize.

I did some morning gardening hoping the rain would stop then bailed to go riding in Pemberton. It was dry all day there

Sun came out so perhaps tomorrow will be good!

Today was good tomorrow will probably be as well. Busy! I've been itching for an xc day after 3 in the park so might take a break tomorrow lol

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Today was good tomorrow will probably be as well. Busy! I've been itching for an xc day after 3 in the park so might take a break tomorrow lol
    Took the xc day today and gardened (glamorous huh). Park day tomorrow - trails are still in great shape

Rode Lost Lake again with my gf in the morning then skied in the afternoon. Tough life!

I'm supposed to be at Whistler at the end of August, but my buddy can't go anymore. He mentioned another friend was interested, but he just broke his arm at Highland last week...

I haven't given up on going yet, so I'll be following this thread a bit this year!

Not too bad in the morning but busier to the afternoon. The opening weekend sure went well.

Yet another bike park video

Nice pics Lee.
    I want to come over and ride there, especially given how much you rubbish the euro parks when you're writing about your trips here Just a question about the crowds - is it a 15-20min wait for every lift? How much vertical does that get you?

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    Nice pics Lee.
    I want to come over and ride there, especially given how much you rubbish the euro parks when you're writing about your trips here Just a question about the crowds - is it a 15-20min wait for every lift? How much vertical does that get you?
    haha- the Euro bike parks I've ridden are complete turds next to whistler and Silver star and Sun Peaks; especially Silver Star. The only trails I've ridden that come close is the Alp Grun in the Engadin. The IMBA built trail in Corviglia also looks fantastic. I definitely go to Europe for quality of off-piste trails. Not the bike park trails but to be fair the shitty 29ers i am forced to ride aren't so good for much but nose casing gaps

I only know in meters. Lower mountain is maybe 300m. Garbanzo Zone (adds another 400m) and other trails are upper mountain (adds 200m) and open as the snow clears probably mid - June this year with late June for highest mountains. Max elevation drop is top of the world which is exception as it drops off peak to lower mountain which is ~ 1400m drop and last section is to open this year which means pretty much singletrack 80 - 90% of way down the mountain.

On weekdays lineups are 5 mins max. Weekends those are unusual lineups and you get more like 10 - 15 mins.

Let me know when you and Ripz or other friends come and i will ask for deals for you both